the paleo solution?

Options
hey, has anyone tried the paleo solution? my boyfriend and i are thinking about trying it for a bit. it wont be any huge changed to our diet other than no oats or crackers. who has tried it and do you have any tips?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Loads of threads on this if you run a search.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH. I have a friend who I've known since I was a kid. Seriously she's always been adorable but just the pudgy friend. Not overweight or anything but just stocky, you know? She went Paleo a few years back and she looks like a freaking MODEL now. Some people are just MADE for Paleo. It is great and super healthy and when combined with exercise (because, you know, people are meant to be active), it's the best way to be fit and healthy. Well, one of the best ways. Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it works out for you!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    a friend's mother cured her MS by eating paleo. truly an amazing nutrition plan, though tough to implement.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    There are also, if one researches, some pretty bad stories of people on paleo developing various health issues and ending up feeling like crap, so it goes both ways.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    There are also, if one researches, some pretty bad stories of people on paleo developing various health issues and ending up feeling like crap, so it goes both ways.

i'd love to see those studies!
  • briarashley
    Options
    cool :) we are trying it anyway and seeing how it feels. will let you know in a week if im feeling better
  • Marianke
    Options
    Tried it, loved it, lost 20lbs in 3 months, combined with CrossFit. I now got a Groupon deal through www.emeals.com recently and used it for a breakfast/lunch/diner mealplanner specified for Paleo, and it is so easy because it makes a grocery list for you! Gives great ideas for Paleo!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    a friend's mother cured her MS by eating paleo. truly an amazing nutrition plan, though tough to implement.
    Had to Google that one because my BS meter was completely pegged. No surprise that the first result was an article by Mercola. LOL.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Uhhh, right. MS is incurable and irreversible.

As for Paleo, it isn't a magic bullet, it's just another in a long line of restrictive diet plans, like Atkins, or South Beach, or Dukan, etc. Short answer, if you don't want to eat the foods that paleo says don't eat, don't eat them. If you have no medical reason for restricting your diet unnecessarily, then don't waste your time with it, as you won't have any more success doing things this way than you will with any other eating plan. It works because it restricts the foods you can and can't eat, which leads to a caloric deficit. No magic involved.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As for Paleo, it isn't a magic bullet, it's just another in a long line of restrictive diet plans, like Atkins, or South Beach, or Dukan, etc. Short answer, if you don't want to eat the foods that paleo says don't eat, don't eat them. If you have no medical reason for restricting your diet unnecessarily, then don't waste your time with it, as you won't have any more success doing things this way than you will with any other eating plan. It works because it restricts the foods you can and can't eat, which leads to a caloric deficit. No magic involved.
    ^ This exactly. The bottom line is caloric deficit.
  • briarashley
    Options
    Tried it, loved it, lost 20lbs in 3 months, combined with CrossFit. I now got a Groupon deal through www.emeals.com recently and used it for a breakfast/lunch/diner mealplanner specified for Paleo, and it is so easy because it makes a grocery list for you! Gives great ideas for Paleo!

cool! thanks and congrats on 20lbs
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Oh rly?
  • MEMoggridge
    MEMoggridge Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As I can't have gluten and have to be careful with lactose I tried this as it wasn't such a big leap for me!! found it difficult to implement completely! look at Marks Daily Apple website for lots of info and ideas!!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    ^ This exactly. The bottom line is caloric deficit.
    Low carb tends to be more satiating, and possibly a more manageable way to reduce calories? Not the paleo aspect but the carb restricition.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Uhhh, right. MS is incurable and irreversible.

guys, why would i say it if it weren't true? lol i have nothing to gain by it - I don't even eat paleo.

look it up. http://www.terrywahls.com/
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    guys, i love this group-hate on these boards, where a diet MUST be BS if it's different from what you do. Paleo is NOT calorie-restrictive! There are plenty of athletes who are paleo.

why don't you step outside your tiny self-built boxes (your comfort zone) and consider that someone else may have a valid, and interesting point before you dismiss it?

Also, Terry Wahls is the mother of my friend Zach Wahls (the kid who was in the news for giving an amazing speech to congress about being a boy scout and the son of two gay parents - was on all the talk shows, has written a book, etc, etc if that rings any bells. Awesome family)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    guys, i love this group-hate on these boards, where a diet MUST be BS if it's different from what you do. Paleo is NOT calorie-restrictive! There are plenty of athletes who are paleo.

why don't you step outside your tiny self-built boxes (your comfort zone) and consider that someone else may have a valid, and interesting point before you dismiss it?

Also, Terry Wahls is the mother of my friend Zach Wahls (the kid who was in the news for giving an amazing speech to congress about being a boy scout and the son of two gay parents - was on all the talk shows, has written a book, etc, etc if that rings any bells. Awesome family)
    I don't think people are doubting your belief, on the contrary, I'm sure they believe you believe it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Is there any there any thread you post in where you present evidence in the form of study related data instead of you tube videos of anedotal stories? Paleo can be a healthy diet if you can tolerate the restictiveness of it. It is however no more healthy than any other diet based on eating nutrient dense whole foods.

On the whole MS thing, my wife has had MS for 12 years. You obviously know very little about MS if you think it can be cured. It can go into periods of remission but never cured. It is a progressive disease and the best that can happen is a lack of progression. As with most of the threads you post in, you make yourself look less than credilble when you make these kind of statements and then you want to argue about it with a pile of anecdotal stuff.

Edited to add: Just visited Dr. Wahl's website. I was already familiar with her story. She doesn't claim to be cured. She claims to have stopped progression and regained functionality. All of this is possible and a whole foods diet as well as exercise can certainly help with this. This is not however a "cure". If you wish to be taken seriously, it helps to get your facts straight.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    My friend eats paleo and believes it helps her with a wide range of health issues from bloating, to acne, to headaches, etc. etc. Unfortunately as an outside observer it doesn't appear to significantly help with any of those issues.(As they are still omnipresent)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Is there any there any thread you post in where you present evidence in the form of study related data instead of you tube videos of anedotal stories? Paleo can be a healthy diet if you can tolerate the restictiveness of it. It is however no more healthy than any other diet based on eating nutrient dense whole foods.

On the whole MS thing, my wife has had MS for 12 years. You obviously know very little about MS if you think it can be cured. It can go into periods of remission but never cured. It is a progressive disease and the best that can happen is a lack of progression. As with most of the threads you post in, you make yourself look less than credilble when you make these kind of statements and then you want to argue about it with a pile of anecdotal stuff.

Edited to add: Just visited Dr. Wahl's website. I was already familiar with her story. She doesn't claim to be cured. She claims to have stopped progression and regained functionality. All of this is possible and a whole foods diet as well as exercise can certainly help with this. This is not however a "cure". If you wish to be taken seriously, it helps to get your facts straight.

I'll be more careful with my word choice in the future, however, you just agreed that eating paleo gave her an incredibly improved quality of life. That's all I meant to insinuate. And I use anecdotes because they're people I know, and things I've seen with my own eyes. I know that doesn't grant much credibility on a message board so I do understand where you're coming from.