all that are 5'7"

Options

Replies

• MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I am most comfortable around 138. Any lower and I look ill and get told I am too thin. I carry my weight in my lower half and any time I try to lose it I end up getting way too lean from the waist up. I think I just need to face that I have "healthy" hips and thighs and that's ok. I've been increasing the weight I use during strength training so they look more toned and solid but am no longer obsessing over the size and number on the scale (trying not to obsess anyways).
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't think that a one weight at this height fits all. It depends a lot on your frame, muscle mass and most of all your own body image. For some people it takes a long time till their brain catches up with their body and even so you look good your brain still tells you that you are fat. I have a friend that had a bad body image after loosing a ton of weight and still felt huge in a size 3.
    I on the other hand have the opposite, I only look fat in pictures:laugh: . Ok maybe not really but I think that all the other people have a valid point: don't go for numbers but go for how you feel at a certain weight, are you able to keep it up or are you already struggeling to maintain? Are you hungry all the time or do you still feel good restricting your calories? Are you feeling strong and healthy or tired and sluggish? I looked at your pictures and you look very good :flowerforyou: I don't think that all people should wear a size 2, God didn't want us that way or he would have put us all in a mold. If you feel good where you are stay there, if not take it 5 pound at a time and see how you like it
    That is my 2 cent worth:drinker:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I am 5'7" and aiming for 140 lbs. Started at 181 and currently at 147-8. Feel good, look good (according to others); I just want to be in mid range for my height which goes from 118 to 159.
  • Jb27
    Jb27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and before i had my last baby ( i have 3) i was at 135 i was very happy with my weight, i wouldnt want to be too much under that because i find that is pretty easy to maintain and i feel good, when i drop below 130 its hard to maintain and i like to not look too thin but healthy i think that for our height it says we should be between 135-145 which i would be happy with at this point lol 25 more lbs to go for me :)
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    I'm 5'7" CW is 124. My goal was 125. Throughout the majority of my life I have been around 125; my highest was before I started here at 138. I was super athletic and competitive in high school and worked out 2 hours a day in college. After getting a real job it was harder but I still managed to go to the gym an hour a day. Only after moving to NYC did I start to get heavier. I wasn't working out and I was ordering in all the time.

I'm not looking to lose any more weight; I'm now focused on getting toned and have decided to stop weighing myself everyday. I don't feel "too thin", I feel great. My abs are really looking good :laugh: I get plenty of calories and cookies. I don't know if it's because I've always been around this size but it is easy to maintain this weight as long as I'm not a complete couch potato.

My thought is be what you are comfortable at.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", and the ideal weight for my own frame/body is 145-150lbs. Anything much lighter and I start to look gaunt and knobbly.

But I suppose, in the end, you know your body best and where you feel most comfortable. The healthy weight range is very wide, and we're all built slightly differently :)
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and a very muscular 150. I'm trying to get down to 140. I have been as low as 133 but it was hard to maintain, and my friends said I was too thin. I am happy at 150 and weigh a size 8, but think I would jiggle less at 140, and since I'm turning 30 this year, I want a little wiggle room.

I have two kids, too.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    ok, i'm 5'7" i started at 226lbs. medium frame. now i'm 169.2 i want to get to 126lbs. is that too small for me or what. i just want to know, what is the weight everyone wants to get to, to make them feel great and look great at. because part of my family and my man said i should stop, but i still have problems with my stomach, thighs, butt. i'm losing weight and inches all over. to me i still like to loose. pleas let me know what your ideas or input or goal.

I am 5'7 1/2
    Started at 175.8 and current weight is 150 and I feel awesome at this weight! Now I am ready to tone. People carry weight differently so what looks good on one person may not be right for the other. I think once you get to 150 lbs or so, you may feel you dont need to get to 126.
    My original goal was to be 140-145 but I am so happy at 150 - I wanna stay here.
  • laughing_fire
    Options
    I just checked out the link that someone posted on the first page about finding your ideal weight. I'm 22, 5"6 and currently weigh 167. It's saying my ideal weight should be 135! That seems a *tad* too light to me. As it stands right now, I'm barely managing to not go over my calorie intake to make it to 150lbs! Is this "ideal weight" of 135 really manageable? Or even healthy?
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Your probably going to find as you get closer to your healthy weight it will get harder to lose those last few lbs, but good luck in your journey to a healthier you!!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    ok, i'm 5'7" i started at 226lbs. medium frame. now i'm 169.2 i want to get to 126lbs. is that too small for me or what. i just want to know, what is the weight everyone wants to get to, to make them feel great and look great at. because part of my family and my man said i should stop, but i still have problems with my stomach, thighs, butt. i'm losing weight and inches all over. to me i still like to loose. pleas let me know what your ideas or input or goal.

It really depends on your frame. I'm 5'7" with a small frame, and if you look at my ticker, that's me at 125 pounds. (Yes, I sort of look skeletal but that's only because the picture is shrunken. At regular size it looks good, lol.) That's my ULTIMATE target weight (After I get to 135, I'll be aiming for that). At 145, I still look heavy. However, other girls I know who are framed larger look spectacular at 145 pounds.

That's the funny thing about individual people- you can have two women of the same height, who are the same dress size- but one might be twenty pounds heavier than the other. The amount of muscle a person carries also will play a factor.

Short answer- no, it's not necessarily an unrealistic goal nor would you necessarily look too thin. Based on your size, I'd probably aim for 150. Once you get there, set smaller goals of 5-10 pounds. Once you reach each goal, re-assess how you look vs. where you want to be, and determine THEN if you should aim for 126. Make sense?
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I just checked out the link that someone posted on the first page about finding your ideal weight. I'm 22, 5"6 and currently weigh 167. It's saying my ideal weight should be 135! That seems a *tad* too light to me. As it stands right now, I'm barely managing to not go over my calorie intake to make it to 150lbs! Is this "ideal weight" of 135 really manageable? Or even healthy?

If you're talking about the 'happy weight' link I posted a while back, the number will vary A LOT according to how you tell them you're framed. I'm small-framed and it gives my happy weight as 135, but if I change my frame to 'large' it makes my happy weight higher, accordingly.
  • hepkitty
    hepkitty Posts: 133
    Options
    Interesting topic :)

I'm 5'7" and was 182.5 at my heaviest, am now 157, and am currently aiming for 145. I think it depends hugely on frame size, amount of muscle, and how you carry it as well.

Just did the 'happy weight' assessment and it tells me for my frame size (small, apparently, based on wrist circumference!) I should weight 131...but the last time I weighed close to that I was 20, heartbroken and had just had my tonsils out, and you could see my ribs! It was gross :( but only lasted until I could eat again haha.

I agree with whoever earlier said to take it in small 5 pound steps and re-assess frequently. Don't be afraid to try maintenance at a higher weight for a while. You can always decide later you want to drop another couple pounds, it may be useful to spend a few weeks or months at a stable weight so your mind can catch up with what you really look and feel like at that weight!
  • donnaleecam
    Options
    I'm 5'7 1/2 ' and like to weigh 133-135. I am at that now.My clothes seem to fit better. However, I think anything up to 145-150 would be okay. As others have said, body type, etc. plays a part. I don't have a lot of muscle!!
  • kiksuyapi
    Options
    I think 126 would be too thin for me and I'm 5'7". 135 would be the lowest goal I think I'd set. I was 140-145 for years and felt pretty fit.
  • kdbell
    kdbell Posts: 37
    Options
    Im 5'7'' and right now im about 164 i would like to be 155 0r 150 i think it completely depends on your body type and frame. I am very curvy big boobs big butt, pretty trim waist so i think that anything less than 145 would not look right on me, but its all about what looks healthy and good and where you wear your weight... good luck
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I think this really depends on your muscle mass and bone mass.
    at 5'6" - I've been 110 pounds, and frighteningly thin, at 130 still very thin, at 150 I felt I looked my best, healthy and athletic.

I have a friend who is 5'10" and 135 pounds and she doesn't look stick thin, she carries her weight very differently.
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm going by BMI.

Overweight BMI for people 5ft 7 is 155lbs and above.

Healthy BMI is between 154lbs and 119lbs.
  • kristydzina
    Options
    I am 5'7'' and am about 125 right now. I am training for a 10k so I am assuming my weight might just stay the same as I transform fat into muscle and still "lose" weight (but not really) if that makes sense. I don't think 125 is too thin for 5'7''- for me, it definitely isn't the same 125 as it was 5 years ago pre kids. I think depending on how your frame is, it could work.
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" i don't know what size my frame is, i feel like i have a really large rib cage, but the rest is average i'd say. i'm 113 ish right now. technically underweight, but this is just where my personal body tends to level off at. i'm not looking to lose or gain really, just looking to tone and build up my physical stamina. i don't believe that happy weight calculator for a second though, it said 143, i've been there, i've been high that that in fact. i was 155 after my son was born, 170 at the end of my pregnancy. i wasn't happy at 143. i'm happy at 120, and i'm happy at 113 too. because when my body is naturally where it wants to be, it's happy and i'm happy.

as for you being happy, we can give you a number. we can through bmi's at you and say that between XXX lbs and XXX lbs you should be happy because you are considered healthy, any more or less is an unhappy zone. but that just wouldn't work, you can't base your happiness on a number. because the number really isn't what is important to you, the way you look and feel is what is important. so you can say that at 155 or whatever you will be happy, but unless YOU think you look and feel good, you won't be happy. so if i were you i would aim for a healthy bmi because health is important, but don't focus on a specific number so much. instead look in the mirror and ask yourself, do i look good? do i feel good? and if you say yes, then congrats.