What do you do on days that you are starving??

I'm so hungry today. I already used up all but 300 calories and I still have half a day to go. My day goes from midnight until 4 pm.. So what do you do on days where you just can't get full?

Replies

• grahamglos
    grahamglos Posts: 3 Member
    I find these kind of days awful.

I try and drink lots of low-sugar fruit squash (or water) and skip/jump rope.
  • mad00had00
    mad00had00 Posts: 103 Member
    exercise and get some calories back so I can eat them up again.
  • Personally, I find salads with nothing but some light or fat free dressing (wishbone's Italian is only 15 calories for 2 tbs) really help tide me over. Also water helps as well as gum actually. It's almost always tough when you have a big meal early though, good luck!
  • grahamglos
    grahamglos Posts: 3 Member
    exercise and get some calories back so I can eat them up again.

Yes! I do this - I like to jump rope then eat something like a poached egg or some chicken. Yum.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Generally I eat....I have learned that if I don't listen to my body, I'll wind up doing more harm than good and end up binging. It's not wrong to eat, it's just a choice of what you eat to fuel your body.
  • Eat. If it isn't happening every day, then find something that is apealing to you, but also high in nutrients. On super hungry days I eat lots of lowish cal, nutrient rich foods and try to stay away from the crap. If you go over your cals by a couple of hundred, atleast you know you got some nutrition out of it, too.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I typically try to find out WHY I am feeling that way. Did I have enough water? Were my food choices calorie dense? Am I getting the right amount of nutrients? Or...God forbid...is it that time of the month when I have to lock the kitchen doors shut because nothing else works?

Sometimes when we meet our calorie goal, we are simply going to be hungry. I do something to get my mind off of it.

Also be sure that you are setting your calorie goal too low. If you are eating 1300 calories (for example) yet exercising your brains out on top of that, then the answer to your question is simple. EAT.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Some good advice there - water, exercise, big salad. Also good is low calorie protein, like some egg white. Try to do something to take your mind off it; distraction can really work. But also, 1200 may be too low for you if your ticker is accurate.
  • Personally, I find salads with nothing but some light or fat free dressing (wishbone's Italian is only 15 calories for 2 tbs) really help tide me over. Also water helps as well as gum actually. It's almost always tough when you have a big meal early though, good luck!

^^^^^
    THIS
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Something proteiny would fill you up.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    I eat. Unless it's everyday... :-) then I look at what's working for me and whats not
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    I notice your calorie goal is just 1200 cals. Have you input to lose more than 1 lb a week or incorrectly calculated your activity level. MFP settings are so vague it seems to pump out 1200 cals for the majority of people which sometimes is less than their BMR calorie level.

IF you are eating below your BMR calorie level (the number of calories your body requires even if you were in a coma), it is possible that you are just plain not eating enough. Lots of people on MFP have discovered that the MFP setting is not correct for them, have increased their calorie input and still lost the amount of weight per week that they wanted to, including me, and most importantly are now not suffering from hunger and are not 'starving'

Have a look at the link below and check your BMR and TDEE figures to see your own personal calorie goal figure:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It is also a good idea to increase protein and healthy fats to help you feel fuller for longer. Unfortunately this is more difficult to do on restricted calories.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    If I'm hungry, I eat. Even if it takes me over a goal for one day, 'cause if you don't, you'll not be able to sustain this lifestyle 'cause you'll be convinced you're depirived. But yeah, work out why you're hungry. Is your cal target too low? Did you waste cals earlier in the day on things that didn't fill you up? etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,136 Member
    Try consume fewer fast foods and get more home cooked or less calorie dense food in you......lots of calories left over when you do that.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Those kind of days are tough because I catch myself doing a lot of snacking and wracking up a lot of calories. I've found it's better to just give in and have a nice filling meal. Overall it comes out to fewer calories than snacking all day long.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    I see it as a sign that I need to introduce more protein to my diet. Heck, I am having one of those days today. I plan on having pork, sweet potatoes, and apples in the crock pot as dinner. Lunch will be a veggie filled salad with steak. I snack on unsalted almonds. Greek yogurt is a good source of protein also.

:flowerforyou:

I just saw some of the posts, I wanted to add that I am 5ft. 1inch and my daily average goal is 1500-1700 calories a day.
  • I never feel hungry, so I guess you are eating things that might be low in clories, but not enough filling.
    To make it from my afternoon snack until bedtime and still feel full I am making a fruit smoothiein my blender. It is extreme filling, tastes good and is very healthy.
    Here is what I put in:
    1 small apple (no seeds but with skin)
    1 small orange
    1 pink grapefruit (I peel the bitter skin in between the slices off)
    1 slice pineapple (fresh or canned in juice)
    a little bit of the pineapple juice or water
    2 packs of Truvia or Stevia

Blend well until smooth.
    The result should fit in a 24oz glass
    I have the NINJA Pulse, which makes it just perfect.
  • at 5'1" I would never lose anything if I eat 1500-1700 calories.
    I am 5'6" and my calorie intake is 1200 calories, and with lots of veggies and fruit I am never hungry.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    I can lose fast on 1200 calories a day too. But the minute I am active that goal is misery for me(again, for me). At 1500cal with a lightly active lifestyle I have lost steadily at .5lbs. a week. It has been a year for me here and I have lost 27lbs. I would never tell someone what calories they should be at, ever. I feel it's an important part of the journey to figure that out for yourself.

To each their own. Back to the OP's question, cook a bunch and up your protein. It makes such a huge difference. :flowerforyou:
  • fihealth
    fihealth Posts: 165 Member
    What to do when you've got more hours and you're hungry:

1. Ask first, am I really hungry or having cravings for things because of other needs (lonely, bored, feeling too deprived, want to celebrate, want to procrastinate other things...)? If really hungry, go to #2, if other needs, go to #3

2. When I'm really hungry, bulky low cal foods will fill me up (if I turn my nose up at these foods, it means I'm not really THAT hungry, so go to #3). Veg and some lean protein if feel like need more (e.g. beans). Can use low cal yoghurt dip or curry sauce for flavouring. Eat SLOWLY to allow your body to recognize when it reaches fullness point. (Check out "happy fork" product that vibrates if you're eating too fast! Hilarious but could be helpful.) And drink LOTS of water and herbal tea. Warm tea has a soothing quality. And better to eat another few hundred cals of healthy food, than to risk a binge. Just make sure to compensate by exercising some more to make the daily cal count, or compensate rest of the week to ensure a deficit. :)

3. Craving food but not really hungry? I use a list of things to do related to the real underlying cause -- you can make one too!

For example:

Feeling lonely? Call or write a friend, facebook...

Feeling bored? Go to a movie, coffee shop, buy new music, go out somewhere interesting, play games, learn something new, write a blog post, watch a show, make plans for trips/adventures...

Feeling low self esteemy? Do something to pamper self and feel better -- facial, manicure/pedicure, get a haircut, try new make-up, read inspiring stories

Feeling anxious? Meditate, yoga, shower or bath, write down what I'm anxious about and deal with it or a set a time when I'll deal with it...

Another thing that helps is to do some volunteer or charity work -- helping others is a wonderful thing to do and also helps to put our immediate urges and challenges into better perspective. If you're stuck at work, something like this might work:

http://freerice.com/#/english-vocabulary/1515