Abel and Cole - great idea or waste of money

Options
I recently signed up to Abel and Cole, a company who can deliver all manner of organic foods to you but mainly people use them for their fruit and veg. I myself sign up to the small fruit and veg box which comprises of 5 veg and 3 fruit, all of which are a surprise (well unless I check online what I'll be getting) which is great to get me trying new things and broadening my cooking skills. I love this and think its a great service, but a few people I have spoken to think that it is a bit too expensive and that they would rather just buy their own same F&V weekly. So I wondered among the healthy eaters (or those trying to be anyway ;-P) who else likes this idea or do you think it is a waste of money.

My weekly order consists of the box and milk and I pay £14.07 weekly including delivery.

Replies

• suziphene
    suziphene Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too because I share the same concerns, what I do like though is not having to think about what vegetables I order with my shopping. Ocado also do a nice veg box, it is more expensive but I find lasts me two weeks. I don't like the fact with Abel and Cole that if you don't want it one week you have to go in and cancel and find ocado a bit more flexible as I order it with my other shopping ie. when needed.
  • Searley_Pants
    Searley_Pants Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes I did find that as well as I had to cancel over Christmas due to going home and had to cancel the lot and then add it again. However it is fairly simple to do and I like that I don't have to think about it now. I must say also that the oranges I have from there really are the tastiest I've ever had. Also I get all manner of free things from them, orange juice, natural yoghurt, bread, all sorts! They also provide recipes and tips with any slightly unusual fruit or veg they send which I think is a nice touch.
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We know something like that here in the Netherlands too, it's called HelloFresh I thought.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a waste of my money. I have plenty of time to go to the supermarket at least twice a week, we have markets here few times a week in the city and I have a fruits and vegetables seller at the end of my corner. So if I want cheap stuff I can go here, and they can always recommend you new stuff.
  • Searley_Pants
    Options
    Also you could order a box fortnightly instead if it lasted you two weeks :)
  • Searley_Pants
    Options
    I wish I had fruit and veg markets near me! I would love to buy my thing from there but due to not having a car getting to one, or even a larger supermarket for a bigger variety can be a bit challenging!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I will be getting a veg & fruit box from Bellfield organics soon. It's a small box for 1-2 people with 2 lbs of potato, 1 lb each of carrots and onion, a variety of seasonal veg and 5-8 pieces of fruit. It costs £12, additionally I will be getting their organic free range eggs priced at £2 for 6. I've chosen this company because they are happy to reduce quantity or remove items and replace with something else (eg. I refuse to eat aubergine should it ever feature and I might ask them to only deliver 1 lb potato per week).

For me the appeal is a combination of not having to carry lots of heavy things from the store, on the bus, up 4 flights of stairs and eating more in seasons (thereby getting more variety and trying new things) and the environmental incentive of local produce in minimal packaging. I hope this will help reduce my implicit contribution to global food waste which is largely to do with supermarkets only buying pretty&perfect veg (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/jan/10/half-world-food-waste). Additionally my local tescos (if I don't have time to go to the big ASDA on the bus) tends to run out of veg by the end of the day so it's usually hard to get things.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in Seattle who works crazy hours as a IT Project Manager and her every other week delivery of organic fruits and vegetables keeps her out of the vending machines at work. She is very disciplined in her weekly grocery shopping and sticking to her yoga and workout schedule.

I am going to look into what Houston has to offer on this front...
  • Searley_Pants
    Options
    I may look into Bellfields and see if they can offer better than what I am currently getting, it does sound a lot easier to change, though I must say there are a couple of fruit and veg I can't stand and I just add them toy dislike list and they replace them with something else should they crop up in a box.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Bellfield only delivers in Scotland (not sure where you are) but if you google organic veg box in your area/pop along to your farmer's market you will probably find someone more local for you to consider!
  • Searley_Pants
    Options
    I'm in Sheffield so I will google some others, thanks :)
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am in Bedfordshire and I am getting my first box today from www.riverford.co.uk a few people I know have theres from there and it seems to cover the whole country? Good luck x
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I reckon they are quite good and I'd use them, except I live in the country so I grow my own instead.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I used to get a delivery from Riverford and it was really good. Have to make a big effort to use it all though!

If you're going to the supermarket anyway or have a local greengrocers/ farmers market I'd say shop there - much much cheaper. I think you pay a premium for the delivery to your door and the fancy box and the virtuous feeling it gives you.
  • dovetail22uk
    Options
    Oh and please don't be fooled by "free delivery".

The delivery is included in the price.

It's like people saying they get "free minutes" on their mobile phone contract each month - you pay for them!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I used to get a delivery from Riverford and it was really good. Have to make a big effort to use it all though!

If you're going to the supermarket anyway or have a local greengrocers/ farmers market I'd say shop there - much much cheaper. I think you pay a premium for the delivery to your door and the fancy box and the virtuous feeling it gives you.

Excellent post and none of the 'but you barely grew anything last year' that I was expecting when I saw your name...:tongue:
  • dovetail22uk
    Options

Excellent post and none of the 'but you barely grew anything last year' that I was expecting when I saw your name...:tongue:

Plenty of time for me to b*tch at you when I get home:heart: