Best thing for recovery after a hard workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You don't need a recovery drink after 30DS. Your muscles are sore because you haven't been using them The soreness is DOMS and is perfectly natural. Eat a healthy diet and don't worry about recovery. Warm baths, stretching and Ibuprofen will get you through until you build up some stamina and strength.
    ^ This. If your protein intake is already adequate from whole foods, protein powder supplements aren't going to do anything additional for you.
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    Personally - I love Nesquik's (sp?) chocolate milk that is made with 1% milk. It's hefty the on the calories (~420 / bottle), but it has a lot of nutrients for muscles to rebuild themselves after a vigorous workout.

I would always drink one after my runs that were longer than 10 miles.
  • annabella5188
    annabella5188 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink Beverly Internationals Glutamine with BCAA's while I'm working out and have to say that I rarely get sore when I'm doing that! I am currently running, doing uphill intervals with weights in between and also Jillian Michaels Buns and thighs...
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    I'd be careful with this...

Heat is not always the preferred recovery method, especially for muscles that are inflammed. Sometimes, an ice bath is preferable (hence the reason football players) and other athletes that experience a lot of stress on their musles utilize them. Don't get me wrong -- heat works, but it has to be in the correct circumstances.

While lactic acid is responsible for some discomfort after working -- the true discomfort that you feel after a hard day of lifting is caused by DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)-- usually felt 48 hours after the initial activity.
    <b> My trainer says a hot bath </b> after your work out helps lift the lactic acid from the muscles which is what causes us to be sore. Also, I would bump up the potassium you take in (i.e a banana after your workout)...plus the usual lots of water.

I'm not sure how protein powder reacts with different people but protein powder causes me to gain lbs, since that's basically what its meant to do (pack on muscle). If you are still trying to lose I would keep on incorporating your lean proteins (chicken, fish, ect) and not rely on the powder for your proteins.

Good luck to you, hope that helped some what :)
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like contrast showers and active rest.
  • FluroFaye
    FluroFaye Posts: 130
    Options
    Wow, thank you guys!! I appreciate all the helpful responses. Have taken them on board <3
  • kristijean
    kristijean Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use P90X Results and Recovery!