New at running!

jspulsfus
jspulsfus Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone!
i'm super excited about learning how to run because a couple of months ago I would have thought it was impossible!
i started walking at about 3.5, and eventually up to 4.0. Now i walk 4.0 for 5 Minutes, Run at 5.3 for 5 minutes and repeat. I do other cardio afterwards- but JUST focusing on running- i want to know if im doing this right or if i should go at it in a different way. I want to become better, run faster, longer, etc. Any advice? Also, should i be stretching?!

Replies

• bjandlm
    bjandlm Posts: 75
    Hi there, it sounds like you are on the right track, starting off slow and building up is correct.
    If you start out to fast to soon you may become discouraged. But running is good as long as
    your knees can take the extra stress on them. I learned that running with small steps or short
    strides does reduce the stress on your knees and is actually better for you that taking longer strides.
    Keep up the great work and good luck to you! BJ :smile:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I would recommend doing couch to 5K or another running program.
    Check our runnersworld.com & coolrunning.com. Stretching is a must. I do yoga afterward. Hope the links help
  • thank you! couch to 5k sounds awesome, thanks again
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    i'm reading beginner's guide to running and it has a plan for a walk-run program that conditions your body to run 5k (or 10k, i haven't finished the book yet - lol)

but it's so interesting to me that one must "learn" to run- i have a lot of anatomy and wellness learning and i still had pains and aches in random places when i began jogging.

congrats on starting something so beneficial!
  • I'm using Couch to 5k as well. I'm on week 5 and it works. I dread the upcoming intensity, but end up being excited because I did it!!!
This discussion has been closed.