Should I be eating more?

Options
I'm 5' tall and only need to lose about 10-15lbs so I realize I'm not going to see results quickly. Been trying to lose for 4 weeks and haven't lost one pound yet.

I have my net goal set to 1200 calories /day, and I do eat back my exercise calories. My BMR is only around 1290, and I have no idea how to figure out my activity level to determine my TDEE.

I have my activity level set to sedentary, even though I can be pretty physically active during my work day.

There are work days when I'm doing paper work and am sitting in meetings all day, so those days I actually am sedentary (around 6000-8000 steps a day on a pedometer). But on the days I'm working on the bench (I'm a formulation chemist) making batches I can be very physically active (over 20000 steps).

About 2-3 days a work week I'm more sedentary, then the other 2-3 days I'm on my feet for 10-12 hours straight batching. It's similar to working in a very busy restaurant kitchen. I'm constantly working against the clock to get the most work done in the shortest amount of time. I have timers going off all over the lab, to keep up with everything. I also have to do some moderate to heavy lifting when we get deliveries of raw materials or heavy boxes.

Yesterday I worked 12 hours straight. A good 10 hours of that was spent on my feet running around. I was sweating and breathing heavy all day. I was not able to hold a conversation with my coworkers until I stopped and let my heart rate slow down. Took 23,500 steps on my pedometer. I do this type of work 2-3 times a week.

Should I log this as exercise, or change my activity level to lightly active? I don't do this type of work every day, so I think on the days I'm st my desk or in meetings all day I'd be over in calories.

I'm probably over thinking this and just being impatient.

But maybe I'm not eating enough...

Replies

• deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. On those 900 calorie days, I think you probably should be eating at least 1200 calories. Have you considered doing strength training? It jump starts the metabolism and burns fat. Other people will probably chime in and give you a bunch of good suggestions....I can only speak from experience what is working for me. I'm 4'11 and was looking to lose 10 lbs and build muscle. 6 weeks in and 5 lbs down and muscle forming. Don't give up....you can do this. Your routine/diet might just need some tweaking.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Those 900 calorie days are a result of those long and strenuous work days. I come home from work too exhausted to cook and eat. I usually just pass out on the couch soon after walking in the door.

Ironically the days I probably burn the most calories from activity at work...are the days I tend to eat the least, because I'm so busy. I often don't have time for breakfast or lunch at work...or end up eating my lunch at 5pm, then skipping dinner because I'm just too tired to eat.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1290, but looking at your diary I see very few days where you've gotten close to that target -- you're usually well under it. Your Basal Metabolic Rate is the minimum calories your body needs to operate all of its systems, not counting the calories you need to get out of bed, walk around, and live your life. So yes, you really need to eat more. You should never finish a day below your BMR, and you should aim to finish each day as close as you can to "0 Calories Remaining". Ya gotta feed that engine (your metabolism) and keep it running hot!

Personally, I think the MFP calculator tends to get a little screwy with smaller ladies like you, so I suggest you check out the BMR/Daily Calorie Target calculator here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr and use that to determine your calorie target.

As far as figuring out your "activity level", I handle that by setting my activity level to sedentary and then tracking any out-of-the-ordinary activity. You could get a heart rate monitor to get any idea of how many calories you're burning on those crazy days at work, and track it.

Do a search around here for "Eat more to weigh less" and check out some of these links to learn more:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr

Take care, and best wishes!
  • pineygirl
    Options
    Wow....thanks. According to that I am eating way too few calories. I should be netting between 1766 and 1990 calories a day depending on my activity level (light or moderate activity) to get to my goal weight (doesn't say when though).

Considering in a given week I do 5 days of cardio, 3 days of strength training and have 2-3 insane work days when I run around like a sweating maniac for 10 hours a day...I probably should be eating more. Even netting 1200 might be a little low.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Wow....thanks. According to that I am eating way too few calories. I should be netting between 1766 and 1990 calories a day depending on my activity level (light or moderate activity) to get to my goal weight (doesn't say when though).

Considering in a given week I do 5 days of cardio, 3 days of strength training and have 2-3 insane work days when I run around like a sweating maniac for 10 hours a day...I probably should be eating more. Even netting 1200 might be a little low.

^^^^this^^^^^
    another good link to reinforce what you just discovered! Be sure to figure your BF% as it helps with a more accurate calorie target. From the sound of your exercise program and crazy work schedule you are probably moderately active.. with only a few pounds to lose your cut from TDEE should only be between 5-10%. If you follow the roadmap method you will get a daily target that will not change from day to day. The deficit and activity is built in - you will have a bit of a deficit on your active days but will have a bit of a surplus on your recovery days. Its a lot easier than chasing after activity levels. Be sure to get your rest day in - you need it to recover.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • pineygirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone. According to all these calculation methods I really should be eating at least 1600- 1800 calories a day to lose. My TDEE is around 2000. I've been under eating for a long time. Even before I started trying to lose, I always wondered how someone who ate so little could have as much body fat as I do (27%).

I'm going to try the suggestions from the spredsheet. Although it suggest my goal weight should be 92lbs, having a small frame. I don't think that's a healthy goal weight for me. I've been around 90lbs before and I look bony sickly at that weight. My goal is not to be able to see the my spine and ribs through my skin. I'll be happy around 105lbs.
  • pattimelz
    pattimelz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    try eting a protein bar or a meal bar like the kellogs meal bars they are great when you are so busy they are 10 grams of protein too some of the other bars out there are higher in protein you need to keep up your protein or your body will take from your muscle mass and that is not good. You have to eat to stay healthy shakes are another option for you some thing with a lot of protein for those busy days at work
  • hoeklisab
    Options
    Have you considered intermittent fasting? I have a lot of friends who have seen great results from that. Might fit well with your active/sedentary days schedule.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should be eating more than you are.

I've said this a ton of times to people, weight loss is not a one size fits all. You've come to realize that what you're currently doing isn't working - time to switch things up. On your days off, is there anyway you can cook a bunch of meals, portion them into containers and freeze them? That way on your run around crazy days, you can simply take one out, heat it up and be good to go. No having to think about what to cook, prepare it and so on. That way you're still eating something healthy, but there isn't any work involved with it. :)

Also, the extreme fatigue you feel on those busy days? Well, it may get better once your body is getting adequate nutrition. Once you're eating enough to accommodate how busy you are, you may see a huge change in your energy levels. :)