Met my calorie goals and didn't lose any weight last week.

Options
Met my calorie goals and didn't lose any weight last week. Frustrated.

Replies

• FTClown
    FTClown Posts: 181
    Options
    Don't be, if you have been losing weight before this, maybe you have hit one of two possibilities...
    1- You hit a balancing form, your body is getting use to the calories being changed
    or
    2- Your body is in a form of study shock, where you might have to add some exercise or figure out if the calories you taking in is proper for your weight class

If the first is the case, then you are fine. If the second is the case then like I said just change habits.

Good day
  • ileen327
    Options
    Hi my name is Debbie, I also didn't lose weight this week and exercised 3 days for 45 min and kept my calories way under my requiered 1,680 I was told to take in for more than 3 days. I wieght 265 and am 5'3. At that amount I should have lost at least 2. I am in tears as I write this. Yesterday I ate much less because I was sure I would lose this morning. Don't know what to do. My stomach was hurting because I was hungry yesterday!
    I am so upset. I am gonna go swim in a few mins to get mysel calm. I am even thinking about not going I am so depressed. I have to lose some weight. My friends are all bragging about how they lost 4 pds or 3 pds the first week at there diet meeting and they are eating more than me. I do have a 3 oz coctail at nite but not everynite and count it in my calories.I don't eat sweets, just a piece of dark chocolate. Do I have to give up my small drink or wine at nite to lose weight now. I have always been able to have a small drink in the past and lost! What is up. I don't know if I can give that up too after giving up most breads and rice's. Help please!
    I like to have a drink with my husband at nite, it is our time.
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Debbie best to open up your diary and let others see what you eat each day to see if we can suggest any improvements
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Debbie best to open up your diary and let others see what you eat each day to see if we can suggest any improvements
    And start your own thread......:happy:
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    P.s don't worry about the scale as it gets everyone down and likely to give up. Measure you're body fat percentage and take photos each couple of weeks. I could never tell I lost weight but the scale kept telling me I lost body fat. And go swim its the best you can do
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear.......remember that as your first lesson. If you forget this, everything that happens from now on will be very frustrating. Just because you hit your calorie goal every week, does not guarantee you will always see a 2lb/1lb/whatever loss on the scale. Scales are not an accurate measurement of success/failure on this journey alone. Take measurements, judge your clothes fitting, and look long term. As the sample size gets bigger, the "average" weight loss becomes more accurate.
  • Freedom125
    Freedom125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Debbie, if you're eating far under your calorie goal, that could be why you're not losing. Exercise will also make you pack on water temporarily to help your muscles recover. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but it will make your loss seem slower at first. Once your body gets used to the exercise, though, the weight will start to come off.

Get a tape measure, and measure yourself every couple of weeks. And eat AT your calorie goal - NOT below it. Your friends all saw a big loss in their first week and they ate more than you did - they're fueling their bodies for the loss. Besides, if you're hungry all of the time you're not going to stick to this.

Read this for more info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them. Or post on the Eat More to Weigh Less group board for help.

I'm also 5'3". I started at 198lbs, lost a few on my own, and then started Eat More to Weigh Less. I've been eating 1500-1650 calories daily and the weight is just falling off for my first couple of weeks. You MUST eat enough.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    could be water retention. you won't lose weight every single week anyway. Look at it more long term.
  • jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    kept my calories way under my requiered 1,680 I was told to take in for more than 3 days. I wieght 265 and am 5'3. At that amount I should have lost at least 2. I am in tears as I write this. Yesterday I ate much less because I was sure I would lose this morning. Don't know what to do. My stomach was hurting because I was hungry yesterday!

You really should be careful with eating too less. When you don't eat enough, your body will try to go into a starvation mode which makes it exponentially harder to lose weight. Try exercising and MEETING your food goals!

Good luck!
  • judyl1950
    Options
    I know the feeling all too well but our calorie intake is changing and our bodies sometimes just does not like the change and will hold on but it eventually has to give. please do not give up it is not a setback but a normal pattern.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Do not be discouraged. It has happened to me many times in my many weight loss journeys. Remember that your body fluctuates on a daily basis. Many factors could of made this possible such as water intake (or lack of), exercise, stress, etc. Remember that you DIDNT GAIN and that's more important than not losing anything for one week :)
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Measure
  • LouPsych
    LouPsych Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What an awesome group of supporting people here! My first suggestion would have been meeting the calories. I, too, enjoy my glass of wine. I just enjoy it less frequently now. And, beating the dead horse with the watering hose.....water, water, water.

Mindset is such a big part of this change; I don't remember eating thinking that I wanted to put the weight on. I'm totally having to rethink every moment of my day in this process - I'm now eating wanting to get this weight off. I never, ever stepped on the scale to see if I was gaining weight, but now get excited to step on and see if I've lost. I also have start to recognize how good things taste, what their texture is like, and how to spice things up without adding more calories. Who would have thought three green olives had 25 calories, but the flavor they can bring to whole wheat pasta is amazing!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I found that I didn't lose weight every week, but if I averaged out all weeks, I lost pretty much what mfp told me I would.
  • lizzyd629
    Options
    Debbie, from what I know, this is info from reading and talking to quite a few fitness related people, if you take it too LITTLE calories your bodies metabolism slows, thus making it more difficult to lose the weight! We have to eat, we just have to eat the right foods for our particular bodies, and that is what you need to fine tune to get the weight to start coming off. I am just starting this change in lifestyle as well, and I have done some research so I don't get discouraged! I hope this helps,in addition to what others are trying to do, you will do great, just one day at a time!! Just remember, dont starve yourself because then your body goes into "preserve the fat mode" you have to eat healthy stuff, but ya gotta eat :smile: good luck and dry the tears Debbie, save them for the joy that you will have when you accomplish your goals!
    Take care.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    To the first 2 posters. Open up the diary girls. Then we pry could help more.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Since you only want to lose less than 10 pounds, you are going to have to eat enough to maintain your lean body mass, so eating at a slight deficit is not going to do much.

At this stage it is all about vigorous exercise. I'm talking out-of-breath, sweaty exercise 2-3 times a week. Try to find something fun to keep you moving, like tickle fights with your kids or other equally fun stuff that leaves you breathing hard and sweating.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear.......remember that as your first lesson. If you forget this, everything that happens from now on will be very frustrating. Just because you hit your calorie goal every week, does not guarantee you will always see a 2lb/1lb/whatever loss on the scale. Scales are not an accurate measurement of success/failure on this journey alone. Take measurements, judge your clothes fitting, and look long term. As the sample size gets bigger, the "average" weight loss becomes more accurate.
    love this, it's so true what He shared! :drinker: We give the scale way too much power!:grumble: :wink:

Think of this as wisdom as you get started... don't put so much worth in your scale. It really is just a number, it'll change throughout the day, the next day you might up, you might be down. The sooner you can step away from the power the scale holds over you the better off you'll be.

You'll get to your goal much faster if you concentrate on healthy foods, get some good exercise in, eat appropriately according to what MFP tells you and not less, less is not better, it can make your weight loss stall or even add a few lbs. Trust us that have come before you, you don't want to eat less than suggested, your body needs the fuel.

Hang in there, try and think of the good things changing about you, your skin, your energy, your stamina, your mood, clothes...so much comes with changing habits besides lbs. lost.

:wink: :flowerforyou:
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Debbie, from what I know, this is info from reading and talking to quite a few fitness related people, if you take it too LITTLE calories your bodies metabolism slows, thus making it more difficult to lose the weight!
    This is a pervasive myth, the body is indeed clever enough to adjust to changes in calorific intake by adjusting the metabolism but the effect is nowhere near pronounced enough to completely counter the effect of the calorie shortage. If eating 1500 calories would give you a theoretical 2lb loss eating 1000 calories will ALWAYS give you more weight loss but the increase in weight loss may slow down as your metabolism slows. The difficulty comes in the form of diminishing returns, not in a reduction of the amount lost.

Good article consolidating a lot of the available into: http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2012/12/starvation-mode-revisited.php
  • ileen327
    Options
    Thanks Freedom, your advice is something I am going to do!! No more starving~ I have been really eating under my calorie count and feeling afraid to eat!! I have got to chance my mind set. My husband is getting upset that I am upset.
    Today, I haven't eaten engough, but haven't moved much. Just went to Dr. and he wants to give me an anti depressant. I am not sure about this. It is also for pain, ( my knees are really aching) But, I swam my mile yesterday. Today, haven't had but 300 cals and that is not good. Like I said afraid to eat. I am messed up!
    Hope you are doing better than me!!
    Debbie ( Ileen)