Guilty as charged!

Options
13»

Replies

• MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes, very much so. I used to eat 500 under my daily need. Then I'd feel guilty and start eating 500 under 500 under my need, just in case, and so on. But with a little help I'm slowly learning to accept that food isn't evil and that I don't have to always aim to lose weight, eat less and be fitter... It's ok.
  • BelleEns
    BelleEns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, though I know it's irrational.
  • wychwych
    Options
    Interesting question. I didn't think I did until today when asked by my sister who is following slimming world what my cal limit was. I have a shed load to lose so allowing for a 1Ib lose each week my allowance, worked out by MFP, seems kind of high to anyone who hasn't done a calorie controlled plan before. Story of my life, family making me feel guilty about what I eat. Anyway it did make me realise I do get a bit twitchy when I get near my limit and I also realised, I shouldn't.
  • meefo42
    meefo42 Posts: 21
    Options
    I consider it a challenge to see how close to the line in can get without going over.

This is exactly what I do. :)
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nope. I try to eat my goal calories plus some of the extra exercise calories. After decades of yoyo'ing my body definitely hangs onto weight if it thinks I am starving. I'm almost better eating all and more than eating too little in terms of the changes I see on the scale.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    oh all the time ! thats why i like to come in below what i should be at

brisforthewin...

I went to friend you as I thought by your user name you were Aussie.

I looked at your diary and have decided not to. You seriously need to eat more. You are currently eating at a level that indicates a serious eating disorder. This site does not support anorexic eating behaviours.

The calories MFP allocates you already has a sizeable chunk of calorie deficit. It does not mean to eat way below these calories. It means to eat at this calorie level and you will lose weight. I am surprised you can get out of bed in the morning with what you are eating. That is seriously low.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think it comes from years of trying to lose weight by eating less, and denial of food to yourself. Now when you see you CAN eat more and its ok, you still feel like you did something bad because all the other diets trained you to think that you had to deny yourself.

^ I think you're absolutely right.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I feel bad when I don't eat all my calories.

Same here. I feel weak and weird.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Never.. they are my calories and I am going to eat them all
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Every cal is sacred
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I aim to leave 100 or so for the odd times when I feel peckish at bed time. Then I can have a coffee or an apple. And if I know i have had a bad day, or am potentially going to have one tomorrow, then I'll try and keep 2/300 spare so tomorrow won't have such a bad impact.
    If the number at the end of the day is red I fret teriibly.
    And no, I do not believe that I have an eating disorder! I am horribly healthy, energetic and consider myself balanced.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm sure somebody does. I'm not that somebody. I don't feel guilty going over my calories, either. The way I see it, I'm learning. I'm trying to reteach my body how to eat. I'm not perfect. I'll have days where I splurge, where I eat complete crap, where I underestimate the calories in something that I ate. I'm in this for the long haul. I refuse to commit to a lifestyle change that is based on the concept of guilting myself for eating. That's a little too ED for my taste.
  • Losershawn
    Options
    I think it should be pretty obvious that you don't become morbidly obese without having an eating disorder...just saying!!
    that is called an eating disorder.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think it should be pretty obvious that you don't become morbidly obese without having an eating disorder...just saying!!
    that is called an eating disorder.
    Not everyone that becomes morbidly obese has the kind of disordered thinking about food and eating that you are describing.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    When is guilt ever rational?
    Guilt is rational when you've actually done something wrong. Eating too much is not morally wrong, especially when compared to murder, rape, child neglect, corruption, war crime etc. What you're talking about isn't even eating too much. You're talking about eating the right amount to provide your body with a decent level of nutrition, while allowing weight loss. What on earth is there to feel guilty about? I can understand why people do, but it's a very unhealthy mindset.
  • SusanneMcRavion
    Options
    I just started today and after setting up my goal which gave me the daily calorie intake i set up my first food plan.
    Honestly i was surpised how much calories i can eat to reach my goal of the day. So i realized that with eating normal and excerise i will be able to reach my goal of loosing 20 pounds! Maybe more :)

The key to reach my goal is simple... i need to stop being lazy