counting calories, it has to work right?

Options
Just don't want to give up, I feel like its not working at all. About to attempt to lower my intake to 800/900 calories a day, if I don't see results I think I'm pretty much done.

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Just don't want to give up, I feel like its not working at all. About to attempt to lower my intake to 800/900 calories a day, if I don't see results I think I'm pretty much done.
    counting calories does work. lowering to 800/900 is really not healthy.

are you accurately measuring your food? logging literally everything?
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    No no no, that's not healthy - don't do that!

That's waaaaaaaaaay too low.

Are you exercising? How long have you been dieting?
  • Rolly187
    Rolly187 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mate! Don't give up, follow the instructions and you will see the results! you have to be patient, i was 132kg a few months ago, i'm now down to 124kg, I dont go overboard with exercise I do it when i can/bothered. BUT, I stick to my calorie intake and log my calories and some days i still have 200-250 calories spare and i am still losing a kg per week just like i set the app up to do. Don't give up!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking of lowering your calories to a stupid amount like 800 then you actually need to up your calories to something realistic like 1500/1600!

I've lost 55lbs eating 2000 cals a day, Sometimes my breakfast is 800 cals! lol

Seriously what does MFP say you need to eat based on your weight and height to lose 2lbs a week? Stick to that and it WILL work!

I see you want to lose 160+lbs, eating 800 cals will not get you there, 1800 to 2000 a day with light exercise will see weight fall on you man, just make sure you're eating the right foods, low sodium, high protein and complex carbs.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
  • cliff948
    cliff948 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are "carb sensitive" then you may want to monitor that more closely.
    Cliff {:{)
  • mapnerd2005
    Options

It takes time. Make sure you are actually eating what you are counting. You may be surprised. If you haven't done so already, buy a digital food scale and a set of measuring cups and spoons. Measure EVERYTHING, and log the exact amounts. Eating too few calories actually makes it harder to lose weight. Your calorie count on here has a built-in deficit based on your current body weight and how much weight you want to lose. I almost gave up too, but I stuck to it and the next thing I knew 50 pounds had come off (I reset my ticker recently after getting off the plan for a couple years). You CAN do it!
  • amili045
    Options

dont do that!! lol lowering to 800-900 is not a good idea. Its not sustainable. Calorie counting works but you have to also make real changes in your diet. lowering sugar and bad fat intake. Trying new methods like 6 smaller meals instrad of 3 bigger ones. Exercising 3-4 times a week minimum. Building muscle is a great way to get your metabolism going. also remember that it can take weeks, months to see results but you have to be committed and accept that its going to take a while and as long as it takes.
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of calories you're putting in. If you're putting 1800 calories a day on junk food, your body isn't going to respond because that's not the way our bodies are programmed to eat. Our bodies aren't programmed to eat chemicals.

I suggest watching a documentary called, "Hungry For Change". You don't even need to count calories if you're eating healthy. I don't expect to count calories all my life, but I expect to eat healthy. Once you get that, losing weight becomes easy.

Or go grab the book, "The Smarter Science of Slim", which also says to eat quality calories like fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, etc.

You got this!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1200 calories is the fastest and straightest way to give up within 3 weeks.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You're just going to ruin your metabolism and get skinny-fat oh and your hair might fall out too.. we won't even mention the possible heart problems you could get. Guess I did mention it.. anyhow. Men need to eat more than women and if I'm a short, old chook that can lose on 1400-2000 a day depending on if I exercised or not then you MUST eat more to lose in a healthy way.

Follow the link the poodle gave you and go from there. It works! Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Like most things - follow the instructions and it works. Make it up as you go along and prepare to fail.

Most "diets" fail because people stop "dieting". And the reason they do that is because they have unreasonable expectations of fast weight loss.
    The slower you lose the more likely it is that you will find it both easier, sustainable and a lifestyle change not a crash diet.

Crash diet is just the first "Yo" in Yo-Yo.
  • maeld51
    maeld51 Posts: 3,415 Member
    Options
    Dude, that's way too low.
    Your body will go into starvation mode and no lbs will come off then.
    Counting every calorie really does work, but count everything!
    Good Luck
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is helpful, but you have to make sure your counts are accurate. If you can, try to weigh all your foods. Using standard kitchen measurements is ok (tablespoon/teaspoon/cups/pints/liters etc), too, just not quite as accurate.

Once you have gotten accurate at weighing and measuring your foods, the suggested calorie deficits on MFP should start you on your weight loss journey.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes, if consume right, left up to the individual.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    - Do you log all your food?
    - Do you weigh all food, or just estimating?

Could you open your diary so we can see what and how much you are eating?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    it WORKS!!
    don't give up.
    And never eat less than 1200/day! work out your TDEE and eat at a 500 cal daily deficit off that and YOU WILL LOSE :)
    DON'T GIVE UP OK :)
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    lowered my calorie to 800-900 and gained more water weight. darn.
    what I did is to stay at maintenance kcal for a month. then broke the weight loss plateau but decided to lose another ten pounds. lol

I'm 4'11 by d way and currently at 120.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

It does work.
    You just need to get the right numbers and be patient....it will not happen over night....
    And you need to get something that is sustainable....

800 - 900 calories is not sustainable.
    It is dangerous
    It is stupid (sorry, don't want to offend you, but it is)

Find the right numbers for your body, and give it time brother.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I'm 4'11 by d way and currently at 120.

You are a tiny thing.... :smile:

Well you know what they say....good things, small packages.... :bigsmile: