Am I being impatient?

Options
For the past 2 weeks, I've been eating only just over 1,200 calories. Please, do not tell me that I am eating too little as I have researched 'starvation mode' etc. I am obtaining a good level of nutrition and often feel quite full and satisfied. I have lost 8kg so far, and before now it seemed to have happened so quickly. I ran twice this week and I only eat healthy, aside from one or two rice dishes (which of course, isn't exactly unhealthy).

I understand a lot of people say to simply abandon the scales, but they haven't let me down until just recently. I am starting to wonder if I have an abnormally slow metabolism but there's always the chance that I'm over-thinking the entire thing and being impatient.

Note: "YOU NEED TO EAT MORE!" posts and "OMG, YOU'RE STARVING TO DEATH" posts will be ignored. -__-

Replies

• louisvillejg
    louisvillejg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are working out, even with hard core cardio, you CAN add water weight. Your muscles hold on to every ounce of water- especially if you are not drinking enough. Maybe up your water intake?

Good luck!!
  • RachRice29
    Options
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but I was in the same boat...eating 1200 calories a day. It worked very well at first (and I also ignored all those people saying I was starving myself, because I felt great). However, then the scale stopped moving.....for a whole month.

Even though it terrified me, I increased my calorie intake. I'm still low, by most peoples standards (1420 a day), but I've started dropping steadily again.

Just think about it....I know it's scary, lol.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're starving yourself, but I do think that if you're doing everything right and the number's not moving, adjusting your calorie goal can be a good thing to try. I also suggest giving it a little more time than two weeks. You ARE losing weight (not sure how 8kg translates into pounds), but if you don't have much to lose, it's going to come off slow. It often starts off fast and then slows down.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What is making you think your weight loss is slow? How much have you lost in the last 2 weeks? The last month?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you are on here. Many of those who will tell you to eat more know what they are talking about, and you are basically going to ignore it. I'll just leave you this and enjoy my 1600-1700 calories. Please ignore away!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. If you continue to eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, however, at your calorie goal, you will be losing muscle and fat. If that is what you want, continue to be patient.
  • sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ RachRice.

I posted something about not losing 4 or 5 days ago. Let's just not talk about that.

Anywho. There were some kind ones that suggested I up my intake and continue to do cardio 4-6 days a week. I listened to them and upped my caloric intake to around 1600, exercise 6 days a week and i've already lost 3 lbs since I plateaued.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    you haven't been doing this long enough to be worried about how fast or slow it is...

just keep working at it and the loss will follow...loss is NOT linear....

BTW...1200 is low...i know you don't want to hear it, but it is low....that can get in the way of things as time goes by.
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    You should keep track of your measurements. Just because the scale isn't moving, doesn't mean your body isn't changing.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Speaking from my own loss, the initial loss was pretty steep and then evened out to a kg or so a week and now I'm plateauing, maybe your weight loss is evening out. Keep persistent and smart and I'm sure you'll loose what you need :3
  • goldair23
    goldair23 Posts: 160
    Options
    But haven't you lost that 8kg in the past 2 weeks?
    It would take me well over 8 WEEKS to lose 8kg... I think just stick it out, it's for your health aswell. And your weight may stay the same but measurements might not so try doing that xx
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    So basically you didn't lose weight for one day and you're freaking out?

Just relax. Be patient. Weigh yourself less.

I won't tell you what to eat, it is your body. But you really have to realize that you are not going to keeping losing that fast. Be happy with 1-2 lbs a week (that is LESS than 1kg) PER WEEK.

Did I mention relax?
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i did 1200 cals for 3 months and yes i lost lots weight but also loss lots of lean body mass i am now on 1750 cals aday still loosing weight but much slower and feel so much better for it
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You need to exercise more and eat back calories that you've lost as you add more consistent exercising.
  • erinbrinker
    erinbrinker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you're being impatient. 8 kilos is just over 17 pounds so you are doing great! If you are keeping it low (1200 calories is low) fire up your metabolism one day a week by eating what you want (but healthy). I am assuming that you lost the 17 pounds before the start of the last two weeks. Keep up the great work and take a deep breath.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    >> I've been eating only just over 1,200 calories.

Your diary doesn't evidence that. It may be true, but the fact remains, the diary doesnt show it.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I have lost 8kg so far, and before now it seemed to have happened so quickly.
    Did you lose this in the last 2 weeks? That's almost 17#!!! You must have been holding onto a lot of water weight.

A healthy weight loss is 0.5# to 2# per week, depending on how much you have to lose. The closer you are to goal, the smaller your weekly loss should be.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Your diary doesn't evidence that. It may be true, but the fact remains, the diary doesnt show it.

^ this.

You're eating too little, or not logging what you're really eating. Either way, if you REALLY want answers, you have to isolate and evaluate each factor that is coming into play, and that may be one of them. You can't just tell people you don't want to hear it and ignore it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    From your post and your profile, it sounds like you have lost 8 kg in two weeks?? That's insanely fast. It would take me at least two months to lose that. Your body might just need time to adjust...
  • sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I checked out your diary too. To be nosey, yes I can't help it. Anyway if you are eating 1200 a day, I would suggest you make sure and track EVERYTHING. Even if it is a day where you are so damn ashamed of what you've ate...track it, because this way you can look back and see what sort of changes you need to make when you stall (I say when because hell, it happens).

And if you're only eating 800, 900 a day that's just a bit scary, which I hope you aren't.