protein powders for weight loss??

Options
I have been trying different protein powders that I have received samples. Trying to find one that I want to stick with. Not as a meal replacement for every meal. I know fresh and healthy foods are the way to go. Just something to either do as an on the go meal or after workout meal.
I am looking for a protein powder that is low sugar and low fat. Not very costly. I want it for helping with weight loss.
Just wondering if you all have any suggestions.
Thanks

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition, Whey Protein. You can get it online for about 24 bucks. 120 cals per scoop, with water, 24 grams of protein.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love myofusion probiotic line. my favorite is cinnamon roll and banana. you can get it at vitacost for $26.00.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The best one I have found is Promasil...I add one scoop of the soft serve vanilla flavour to 6 ounces of low fat milk and toss in 1 1/4 cups frozen strawberries, makes the greatest healthy, strawberry shake. I also use their milk chocolate flavour to which I just substitute a banana that I have sliced up and frozen for the strawberries. Makes a great choco/banana shake! Both are delicious.

Promosil has 90 calories, 0 carbs, and 20 grams of protein per scoop.

It also comes in a 1 pound tub which is a great size for trying it out.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The best one I have found is Promasil...I add one scoop of the soft serve vanilla flavour to 6 ounces of low fat milk and toss in 1 1/4 cups frozen strawberries, makes the greatest healthy, strawberry shake. I also use their milk chocolate flavour to which I just substitute a banana that I have sliced up and frozen for the strawberries. Makes a great choco/banana shake! Both are delicious.

Promosil has 90 calories, 0 carbs, and 20 grams of protein per scoop.

It also comes in a 1 pound tub which is a great size for trying it out.

sounds good!!
  • brizforthewin
    Options
    pea protein!!!
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Optimum Nutrition whey too after workouts. Before bed I've been taking Body Tech casein protein or sometimes eat cottage cheese. Another post workout recovery drink has been Tuscan fat free chocolate milk. I don't mind the carbs, but 0 fat and 11 grams of protein.
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful advice. So far I have found out that hemp protein is not the best tasting. Pea protein is okay tasting depending on how it is made. I tried Jay Robb's whey protein in tropical dreamsicle mixed with coconut water earlier. It tasted great. But when I went online to see the cost of it, it almost came back up.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    The tasties I have tried is unjury. You would have to order online.
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So I should do my cottage cheese and tart cherry juice mix in the evening instead of morning?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have only used protein powder for weight maintenance, but I love Isopure Vanilla Creme Zero Carb. I use one to two scoops and add frozen strawberries.

I got it for the lowest price at the smoothie factory! I buy the large gallon jar of it ... lasts a long time.

I tried some different ones while traveling this week. Not so much.
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So I should do my cottage cheese and tart cherry juice mix in the evening instead of morning?

You can, it's totally up to you, but the type of protein in cottage cheese tends to be a slower digesting type they say whey.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Costco sells Premier Protein they are ready to drink (RTD) shakes something like 160 calories, 3 grams of fat, 1 gram of sugar and 30 grams of protein. They come in packs of 18 for $24, which is a really good price for the RTDs plus there no prep work involved so its easy to just grab it and go. They come in chocolate and vanilla flavors and are really tasty. I heard people saying that it can be mixed with ice and fruit for a smoothie, which I will be trying soon.
  • Rexie83
    Rexie83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have just started using 180 nutrition protein and am loving it. I am using it to lose a little, but keep my muscles. Love the flavour and that it is more natural.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    My hubby is looking for a powder to use after his workouts to help build muscle and lose fat. Do you think the above mentioned ones would be good for him?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Trutein > Myofusion > Optimum Nutrition > Syntrax > *
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My hubby is looking for a powder to use after his workouts to help build muscle and lose fat. Do you think the above mentioned ones would be good for him?

Protein powder is just that. It's powdered whey protein. It does not having magical properties to help you build muscle or lose fat, and certainly not both at the same time (seeing as that is impossible). Use it to supplement protein intake if you're not getting enough. That's what it's for.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Maximuscle has green tea in it as well, you could mix it with husk to add fibre.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I use various flavors of Jay Robb and agree the tropical one is yummy. There are larger packages of some flavors in Whole Foods for about $25.
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use two different one.
    1) Intek Evolution Creamsicle- Taste like an Orange push up. $77.00/ 5 lbs on line, but hard to find in a B&M store
    2) VitaSport Pro7ein Synthesis vanilla. I usually am not a fan of Vanilla, but this does taste like soft serve ice cream. $55.00/ 5.1 lbs at NutriStore

Both are very lean at 160/153 calories per serving with 34 grams of protein per serving. Both work well as meal replacements