i just dont get it?

Options
hi there, im 5ft1, and 112 pounds. i would like to lose 1 pound a week, so that means i need to have a calorie deficit of 500 a day. My goal is to eat 1500 cals a day, my BMR is 1300 so that means i have to to burn 700 cals a day to get to my deficit. Ive asked people about that and they are telling my im doing it wrong.i dont get why i have to eat back the cals that i have burned off, if i do that then i will never burn more cals than i have taken in, can some one explain to me please? :)

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You don't subtract from your BMR, you subtract from your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Ideally you should net your BMR at least. BMR is what you need in a coma. You don't subtract from it.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Personally, at your weight, I would aim for a half-pound per week.
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, if you're 5ft 1 and 112 pounds - why are you still trying to lose weight? Sounds pretty spot on to me. :smile:
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    do you really need to lose weight!??
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would say only eat back your exercise cals once you have hit goal weight
  • 4tammyd
    Options
    I'd love to be at that weight as I'm your same height. I'd be looking at toning and maintaining with your weight, just an idea.
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm close to your stats.

I'm a female, 49 years old, 5' 0" and hovering around 109-112.

I've come to realize I may never get back to 100-102. My current average may be it. Really, it's okay. I have nothing to complain about. I also think I have a lot of lean muscle.

At your height and weight, it's pretty much ideal.
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Simply put, MFP already calculates what you need to eat to lose that amount per week, so their calorie goal they set is geared toward that. Eating what they recommend still gives you the 500 deficit, which is why you need to be as close to that at the end of the day as possible.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

no
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

no

NO.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

no

NO.

NO!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

no

NO.

NO!

NO.png

Plus this
    Personally, at your weight, I would aim for a half-pound per week.

And this
    Gotta say, if you're 5ft 1 and 112 pounds - why are you still trying to lose weight? Sounds pretty spot on to me. :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to get to a 100lbs? Maybe you should rethink exactly what your goals are here. Are you trying to lose some body fat? Have you thought about getting in some weight training instead of trying to lose more weight?

I'm just a little iffy at giving you any advice to lose more weight because I will admit I'm wondering what your mind frame is.

And I am also 5'1 and 100lbs is kind of on near the edge of being underweight - especially depending on your frame.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with others that at your weight, you can only lose a half pound a week (so a smaller deficit is better). And you do not subtract your deficit from your BMR. You subtract from TDEE. So, you can probably eat 1800 or more and still lose weight (especially being younger means a faster metabolism). Go ahead and exercise for fitness, and don't worry too much about the calories burned. For calorie calculating you can use Scooby's Workshop or Fat2Fit Radio.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

And I agree with others that weight lifting will help you a lot.

I am also small like you and I never ate less than 1800 calories and I am older than you (I'm 34).
  • YusraAmani
    Options

well i always get people saying that, but im fat skinny and i dont want to lose tonnes of weight just a near a stone to get rid of the excess :)
  • YusraAmani
    Options
    You don't subtract from your BMR, you subtract from your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Ideally you should net your BMR at least. BMR is what you need in a coma. You don't subtract from it.

ohh right, i think i get it now so my TDEE is 1845, so i take 500 away from that so i get 1345. so is that the amount of cals i should eat in a day if i did no exercise? :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

ohh right, i think i get it now so my TDEE is 1845, so i take 500 away from that so i get 1345. so is that the amount of cals i should eat in a day if i did no exercise? :)

Subtracting 500 from your TDEE is intended for people that are very overweight and have a lot of extra fat to lose. If you are small, and you make such a drastic cut, you will lose muscle as well as fat and be less happy with your body and have a harder time getting the physique you want. If you do a smaller cut, you will keep your metabolism in good shape, lose fat, keep muscle, still have energy and a good mood. It's your choice to make and everyone makes these choices for themselves. But, I do know what I am talking about. I weigh 100 pounds and I am happy with my fitness level. I've always maintained my fitness and I've never gone on a drastic diet. So, I know what works for a small person. Start counting your calories. I think you will be surprised to see that a small cut will go a long way. You were probably eating a lot before you started counting (possibly 2500 or even 3000), so cutting down to somewhere between 1500 to 1800 is probably bigger cut than you realize (plus exercise).
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have been so confused about all of this. The below link was simple and will give you your calculations. Good luck
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options

This person knows........ Do this!