Muscle Mass Help?!

Options
Hi guys

I have some fancy scales that measure my body fat (which is going down!!) and muscle mass (which is going up! Woop!) the only problem is, I know what the body fat reading means, but I'm not sure about the muscle mass at all. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Does the scale call it muscle mass or lean mass? If it is lean mass it would include everything other than fat. I have had mine done a few years ago the the 2 categories were fat% along with pounds of fat, the other was lean mass and was the remainder of my total weight.
  • sparklepants
    sparklepants Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks Erickirb, it actually says muscle mass though as it gives water and bone too (not that I understand these! Ha!)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Wow that is sophisticated.
  • sparklepants
    Options
    would be great if I understood them hey?!!!
  • ekrueger002
    Options
    Glad to hear fat% going down and muscle% going up.

maybe try thinking of it in terms of ratios. So like a body composition of 3:1 muscle:fat.

Target a fat% you desire and work towards a muscle% roughly 3 times that.

Don't worry if the water mass goes down. As you lose fat your body will require retention of less water. Don't stop drinking plenty of water but don't be surprised if you see the number drop as the fat drops.
  • sparklepants
    Options
    Fab!! Thanks for your help!!!

The only problem I have is that my scales actually read mass I think, as appose to percentage! Do you know how I work this out? I can give you all my numbers if it helps?!

Thank you SO much :o)
  • ekrueger002
    Options
    sure send me the numbers and I will help you calculate it out. :-)