Personal trainers?

Options
I'm about to start my weight loss journey. I've been to the gym a few times before, but never consistently, and not with much motivation. I find that I do better/am more dedicated if someone else is depending on me to do it/urges me on. However, I'm very much a beginner. Anyways, to get to the point, I was wondering if I should get a personal trainer, if any of you have one, and if so how much do you like having one/would you recommend it?

Replies

• Creativeballance
    Options
    I haven't had one who I've had to pay, but I do have an uncle who is one. It is nice to have someone knowledgeable who you can ask questions to, and give you ideas of new exercises to do and routines to do.
    I don't think you need one for every time you go to the gym, but having someone to periodically evaluate whether you're doing the exercises correctly is a good idea.
  • saouttolunch
    Options
    Before I tried a trainer I would attend some of the classes if your gym offers them. They are at set times and can keep you motivated. Working with a trainer can be tricky. Not all of them have much experience. If you decide to go the trainer route be sure to ask about certifications. A good trainer will cost more than a beginning trainer. I started out with an inexperienced trainer and wasted my money. A good trainer is worth the money to get you started if classes don't work for you. Another consideration to think of is this, are you a talker. Lots of training money is wasted chatting with the trainer, they are on the clock as you chat. It will be up to you to keep them on track. I personally do not care to use the machines but you may like them. It will not cost you anything to have someone show you how the machines work. The best news is you are ready to do something! Good luck on your journey.
  • person trainers are nice. If i could afford one I would be using one.

I would totally jump into the classes. groupx classes are great. once you start making friends in there you will totally get the push you need
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had one years ago after I had gained some weight due to being on bed rest for 3 months after surgery. I had been thin for years, but I was never in shape and I was intimidated in the gym because I didn't know proper form or how to use a lot of the machines. Having a personal trainer was AMAZING. I was very upfront - I told her I had only paid for a 6 month gym membership because that is the length I intended to come to the gym. After that I wanted to exercise on my own at home (for free!). So she taught me all these exercises I could do using my own body weight, simple dumb bells, or a bosu ball so that I didn't have to rely on gym machines. I learned proper form from her so that my risk of injury was greatly reduced. She also pushed me to do things that were way out of my comfort zone. Even though it was expensive, it was worth every penny.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I just recently hired a trainer to help me establish a good weight training routine cause I'm totally lost when it comes to lifting. Her rate is really good though ($15 a session). I have a friend that's a trainer too and she charges $45 a session! I wouldn't be able to afford that. I would stick to group classes to start with so you can meet people and become more comfortable at the gym.
  • kerriotto
    Options
    My trainer has helped take the stress of figuring out what to do. I show up and do what he tells me. He's helped me with a food plan and helps me when I'm struggling with motivation and perspective. I work out with him privately 1x wk, take a circuit class from him 1x wk and do other group classes 3-4 days a week.
    It is expensive but it is an investment in yourself. I tried to take a break from going (he even gave me a home workout to do) but I found I just couldn't get the same kind of work out as I did with him.
    I've put in the work but I owe much of my success to working with my trainer.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Hiring a personal trainer is kind of like going to a chiropractor. Occasionally there's one who's amazing and does a great job but most of the time they wind up being some quack who does nothing but drain your wallet. If you do better when someone is holding you accountable then try and find a good training partner. They hold you accountable and they're free!
  • stanthemovieman
    Options
    I used a personal trainer some years ago and found it very helpful. She provided me the guidance and knowledge to work what needed to be worked at the beginning and move on to other areas. When I had to give her up because of the cost I started to back up. Now I use an app on my iPod called Weightplan. It's free to download and has pre-set workouts. It has helped me get back on track. It can be done either way. I'd love to be able to afford a trainer but this app is doing the job.
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    They are great if you haven't much experience in the gym, assuming you find a good trainer. After you workout with one a few months, you may find that you can go it on your own and spend the money you save on other healthy things like kayaks and bicycles and running shoes!
  • crystalghali
    crystalghali Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love my personal trainer, he pushes me to keep going far beyond when I would of quit on my own. I highly recommend a trainer as long as you invest in a certified one.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start my weight loss journey. I've been to the gym a few times before, but never consistently, and not with much motivation. I find that I do better/am more dedicated if someone else is depending on me to do it/urges me on. However, I'm very much a beginner. Anyways, to get to the point, I was wondering if I should get a personal trainer, if any of you have one, and if so how much do you like having one/would you recommend it?

I think it would be a good idea to at least get a few sessions with a trainer. I have been going to the gym for almost a year now without having a trainer, but I want to get one BAD. I want someone to help me with lifting, and I need someone to get me out of my comfort zone.

I have been watching one particular trainer for like 6 months with his private clients. There is one girl in particular that he trained , and I want to do some of the same things he had her doing. He definitely pushed her, but he was encouraging too. Because I am there so often, I am on a friendly basis with that trainer. Many times he has helped me with form or suggested new things for me to do.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do your homework. Find out if the trainer is certified and has the licenses needed to be a trainer. Come to the session with your expectations so the trainer knows what you want out of your sessions. A trainer is great to show you how to use the equipment if you are not familiar with it. Preventing an injury is important.

I have worked with 3 trainers, all of them were wonderful and worked with my goals. They did help me learn how to use weights safely so I can use them without hurting myself. They can also help you create a program so that you are getting the maximum benefit out of your time at the gym.

Once you have had enough sessions you will be ready to workout on your own and maybe just check in with the trainer once in awhile to "tweak" your program. Good luck and happy training.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    got one she is excellent, made me realise the importance of exercise, until now my weight loss hasalways been abput dieting
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'd say you should get one. You don't even have to see them all the time. I only see mine maybe every 2-3 weeks or more.
    When I first went to the gym I didn't get a personal trainer and just did whatever I did research but I was always never unsure if I was doing the right thing. I wasted a lot of time , I did go to classes offered . But only when I got a PT was when I everything just felt right.
    If you get a personal trainer they will set you a plan to follow and they switch and change it up every through weeks . While seeing them you feel more motivated having someone there pushing you and you do push yourself way more when they are there.
  • ryobious
    ryobious Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started using a personal trainer about 6 months ago. I see her once a week and LOVE it. She helps push me harder than I would normally push myself in a workout. Technically I don't need a personal trainer anymore but I enjoy learning new things constantly and having someone push me. I also am lucky and because my husband is military and we live on a military base I can get a personal trainer really cheap. In the beginning I found it to be really motivational and helped me to workout better on other days now I just do it because I like to be challenged.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I used a personal trainer this summer. 8 weeks all together. He even let my daughter join us. He helped me add more varied lifts to a routine and kick start me off a months long plateau.
    I knew the trainer I chose was qualified because his day job is weight and strength coach at a D1 NCAA school.
    Always check qualifications. Check references too.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've been using personal trainers off & on for 4 years. I've had 4 different trainers, one didn't work out, one I loved, but got injured really bad in a bicycle accident and couldn't work as a trainer anymore... I miss him, but he was afraid to push me because of my medical issues. For the past 20 months, I've had the same trainer, and I adore him. He's not allowed to leave. He helps keep me from hurting myself, takes care when I'm having trouble (like last week combating a 5 day migraine and hospital visit), and kicks my butt twice a week. I also was only able to get doctor sign-off to work out WITH professional supervision thanks to heart & lung issues.

The only problem is that I've grown way too dependent on him. I don't know what all the different sets are, I don't even know what weights he sets. The primary driver for my working out has always been stress management, and I didn't want to have to think about all that. Now, I'm to the point where I want to lift twice more a week in addition (but don't want to pay more) - um.... I went and grabbed the 25lb dumbells to do chest presses with and nearly killed myself. I did it, mind you, but that wasn't what he was using for 4x12s. *rofl* Soooo, we're having a discussion this week about what I need to do on my own starting Sat mornings and Sun afternoons, while I still train with him on Tues/Thurs.

And I keep my personal trainer because I got in at an insanely reduced rate. If at any point I stop, I lose that rate, and I'm screwed. So I'll keep it up until I am SURE I can do it on my own. It does make doggone sure I get my butt in that gym at least twice a week... I am just now getting to the point where I am motivated enough and confident enough that I'm not going to have a medical issue... but I'm not all the way there yet. Maybe later this year... let's see how I do with the additional workouts on my own first. :D