cardio vs. weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a question too. I am underweight and from what I've seen online I should do strength training to get stronger and improve my body composition (even though I am underweight I still have lower belly pooch etc so I'm vain and want a flat stomach). Can I do cardio if I'm underweight? I want to look good and be strong but I also want to be able to run and be active. but I'm scared of losing lbs because I would almost certainly be losing muscle if I did. Is there a healthy way to gain muscle and improve cardiovascular strength?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question I am new to fitness.

You can but you will need to eat more to compensate and I would not do any extreme running sessions.

Do you lift weights? Do you know what your body fat % is?

No. I've been doing a workout DVD for the past ten days (Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30) to get into the swing of exercising daily but haven't really sketched out a long term plan/done enough research.
    &No. How do I find that out?

Do you have access to a gym?

I don't have a membership but there are fitness centers in my area.
  • Serrulata
    Options
    You can do cardio and resistance in the same day, but to resistance right after your warm up, before you do cardio. I don't remember why exactly, I just remember my instructor for cardiovascular adaptions class last quarter said something about doing it this way.

Also, you need more calories to gain muscle, however you need less calories to lose weight, so if you do a Zig-zag diet you can do both at the same time. 4-5 low calorie days and 2-3 high calorie days per week. However, the rate that you would lose weight this way is about 1-2lbs per week if you do it correctly. I just learned this in my Sports Nutrition class this week :D
  • kendobc
    kendobc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a question too. I am underweight and from what I've seen online I should do strength training to get stronger and improve my body composition (even though I am underweight I still have lower belly pooch etc so I'm vain and want a flat stomach). Can I do cardio if I'm underweight? I want to look good and be strong but I also want to be able to run and be active. but I'm scared of losing lbs because I would almost certainly be losing muscle if I did. Is there a healthy way to gain muscle and improve cardiovascular strength?

You can but you will need to eat more to compensate and I would not do any extreme running sessions.

Ditto on this. Need to eat more for sure if you are weight training. Don't worry about losing that "belly pouch". Just get some good lean muscle on there and it should take care of itself. You should eat over your BMR+Activity Level calorie level when you weight train since it sounds like you don't have a lot of weight to burn off. Just make sure you are eating good foods, don't eat tons of rice/pasta, try and keep your carbs clean. Get good amounts of protein for muscle building and some good fats.

You can add some cardio also but like others said you need to eat those calories back and probably more because of the muscle training. Don't try and be conservative with your calories, you don't want to starve your attempts at muscle growth.

Don't be afraid to tweek after a few weeks as you take into account your health and weight gains. There will be weight gain. Muscle is heavier! If you are losing weight something is not working, perhaps bump up the calories.

Of course, these are just suggestions from someone who has never been in your situation (I have always been large).

Cheers,

Kendobc
    Count Your Macros Not Your Calories
  • Serrulata
    Options
    You can do cardio and resistance in the same day, but to resistance right after your warm up, before you do cardio. I don't remember why exactly, I just remember my instructor for cardiovascular adaptions class last quarter said something about doing it this way.

Also, you need more calories to gain muscle, however you need less calories to lose weight, so if you do a Zig-zag diet you can do both at the same time. 4-5 low calorie days and 2-3 high calorie days per week. However, the rate that you would lose weight this way is about 1-2lbs per week if you do it correctly. I just learned this in my Sports Nutrition class this week :D

Oh for the girl trying to gain weight, Zig-Zag the opposite of the girl trying to lose weight.
  • kendobc
    Options

One of the reasons you want to do strength training first, before cardio, is that you don't want to fatigue your muscles before you get under that heavy bar. You want to be warmed up but not tired for your lifts. Much safer. Of course, it all depends on the weight you are lifting. If you are lifting well below what you can normally lift then you COULD do it before. I would never recommend lifting that low but that is a conversation for another time. Lift what you can, increase the load each time by little amounts and do your cardio afterwards.

One thing to add, do NOT do static stretching BEFORE strength training. Do a light warmup, maybe some dynamic stretching if you want and then do warm up sets then do your work sets. Some people, like me, skip the dynamic stretching because the warm up sets can be your dynamic stretching. Static stretching has been shown to actually decrease your strength for, I am probably wrong with this durations, 1-2 hours after the stretch by a rather substantial percent that eludes me for the moment. Do static stretching AFTER all training as the last thing you do.

Cheers,

Kendobc
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No. I've been doing a workout DVD for the past ten days (Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30) to get into the swing of exercising daily but haven't really sketched out a long term plan/done enough research.
    &No. How do I find that out?

Do you have access to a gym?

I don't have a membership but there are fitness centers in my area.

You can do strength training at home using body weight exercises, but it will be easier to have access to the facilities at a gym. To gain muscle you need to eat at a caloric surplus (although you can get away with a deficit for a short time while you take advantage of newbie gains), have a good progressive loading lifting routine (something like Stronglifts 5 x 5 is a great one to start with) and get enough protein.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There is no Cardio "vs." Weights.

There is Cardio + Weights.
    There is Cardio or Weights.

I'd recommend both.
    ^^^^
    BINGO!
    We have a winner....:drinker:
  • alejandrajoy193
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I just get awkward at the gym with weights and all the guys around! I feel like I don't know what I'm doing lifting my small weights. What I have been doing is the Nike Training Club app on iphone/andriod. It has a toning/strength training section that tells you to use dumbells/medicine ball/etc. it has workouts for beginner, intermediate, and expert. It's pretty awesome! I recommend you try it

I totally feel the same way! I work out at my college gym and I just feel so intimidated!
  • alejandrajoy193
    Options
    thank you everyone for the help, i've decided to start lifting using the stronglifts program! i feel like girls who lift look awesome :)
  • alejandrajoy193
    Options
    There is no Cardio "vs." Weights.

There is Cardio + Weights.
    There is Cardio or Weights.

I'd recommend both.

I didn't mean it as in "one is better than the other", sorry if it was phrased the wrong way. Thanks for your help :)
  • alejandrajoy193
    Options
    Threads like this are supposed to be started in the morning, but thanks for making sure a day didn't go by without one

i'm sorry if this post was repetitive, i'm new here. sorry =/
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You won't regret lifting weights! If at all possible, see if your gym offers an all weights class. I do a PowerCut class at my gym and it s full body, twice a week! You will learn perfect form too. Good luck!
  • kendobc
    Options
    thank you everyone for the help, i've decided to start lifting using the stronglifts program! i feel like girls who lift look awesome :)

Good choice. Mehdi from Stronglifts just posted his Workout B video on Youtube. He also has one for Workout A. Check them out for how a workout should flow. Also look at Starting Strength for some good technical tips on the lifts included in the Stronglifts program (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press). For the barbell row look at a video on youtube from Mark Pendlay.

Post back after awhile and let us know how it is going or if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Kendobc
  • alejandrajoy193
    Options

Good choice. Mehdi from Stronglifts just posted his Workout B video on Youtube. He also has one for Workout A. Check them out for how a workout should flow. Also look at Starting Strength for some good technical tips on the lifts included in the Stronglifts program (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press). For the barbell row look at a video on youtube from Mark Pendlay.

Post back after awhile and let us know how it is going or if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Kendobc

thanks again, i definitely will!