If eating an excess of macro creates fat, why eat fat

Options
After researching, it is my understanding ingesting an excess of any macros (carbs, fat, or protein) will be converted by the body to fat through the body's various adaptive abilities. I might be misinterpreting and thus creating a false tautology. I acknowledge the statement, "fat doesn't make you fat".

Excluding personal preference, why eat fat?

Replies

• BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    A source of energy - Our body uses the fat we eat, and fats we make from other nutrients in our bodies, to provide the energy for most of our life-functions

Energy store - The extra calories that we consume, but do not need to use immediately, are stored for future use in special fat cells (adipose tissue)

Essential fatty acids - Dietary fats that are essential for growth development and cell functions, but cannot be made by our body's processes

Proper functioning of nerves and brain - fats are part of myelin - a fatty material which wraps around our nerve cells so that they can send electrical messages. Our brains contain large amounts of essential fats

Maintaining healthy skin and other tissues - All our body cells need to contain some fats as essential parts ofcell membranes, controlling what goes in and out of our cells

Transporting fat-soluble vitamins - Vitamins A, D, E and K are transported through the bloodstream to where they are needed

Forming hormones - steroid hormones needed to regulate many bodily processes
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Excess calories (energy) creates more adipose tissue, not macros.
  • jbrain93
    Options
    Some people choose to eat fat and gain a large amount of their daily calories from fatty foods because they find that fat will make them feel fuller than when eating a similar amount of calories of other macronutrients.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    why eat fat?

because it contains essential fatty acids which your body can't manufacture by itself

because the human brain needs rather a lot of essential fatty acids to function

because vitamins A, D, E and K are fat soluble and to get them you need to eat fat

because of evidence that lack of healthy fat in the diet makes some mental health problems worse (specifically, this is probably due to deficiency in vitamin D and essential fatty acids)

because fatty foods taste good and I don't believe in puritanism.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It's not any excess of any one macro that makes you gain fat, it's when you eat enough excess of any combination of macros that you go over the calories your body needs that makes you fat. Fat is essential for the absorption of many vitamins and minerals that keep you healthy, so you need a healthy amount of fat. Fat can also help you stay more satiated which can make it easier to stay in your calorie goal. If you keep your calories under what your body needs for maintenance, you will lose body fat, even if you eat 50% of your calories rom fat.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    So when choosing your macro ratio, 40/30/30 or 20/50/30 oe whatever, how .ong do you wait until you decide its not working, I'm going to try a new ratio...? Ilike I understand the importance of carbs' I nust feel less bloaty when my carb ratio is lower than the others,. ...but if the whole thing boils down to staying under your tdee by 20%, maybe I should just focus on thst ????
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'd just focus n the 20% tdee reduction. If you know you do better with lower carbs, then go lower but I wouldn't stress about it. I tend to be lower on carbs and higher on fat and protein, but hats just because those are the foods I naturally choose. I don't stress if I eat more CBS one day or something.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Things with fat taste good
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    A source of energy - Our body uses the fat we eat, and fats we make from other nutrients in our bodies, to provide the energy for most of our life-functions

Energy store - The extra calories that we consume, but do not need to use immediately, are stored for future use in special fat cells (adipose tissue)

Essential fatty acids - Dietary fats that are essential for growth development and cell functions, but cannot be made by our body's processes

Proper functioning of nerves and brain - fats are part of myelin - a fatty material which wraps around our nerve cells so that they can send electrical messages. Our brains contain large amounts of essential fats

Maintaining healthy skin and other tissues - All our body cells need to contain some fats as essential parts ofcell membranes, controlling what goes in and out of our cells

Transporting fat-soluble vitamins - Vitamins A, D, E and K are transported through the bloodstream to where they are needed

Forming hormones - steroid hormones needed to regulate many bodily processes

^ that