First timer,over 300lbs, in need of cheerleaders/friends

Options
Hello everyone, My name is Julie I am currently 330lbs and my highest weight was 358 back in June 2012. I have lost 28lbs so far using another website called loseit but my team dissolved and I am getting bored with the site so I want to try something new thinking it will motivate me so I can get back to tracking daily. I would love to make new friends, get involved in challenges and any kind of help you would offer me to lose all this weight would be great.

I am happily married to the love of my life and been with him for almost 10 years. We have two small children and I am a stay at home mom (which I love). It won't be like this forever and at some point I will go back to work so I want to take this time I have and get healthy. I eat like crap, drink soda, stay in the drive thru and pretty much sit around with the kids all day just being lazy. I am nursing my son Caleb so I am constantly on the couch feeding him. I have an elipital and just bought some bumbells 3,5,8 and I have turbofire. I did a 30 day challenge and did good, that was in Oct, and since then, nothing. Just need to get back in the swing of things. I have no junk food in the house right now and so on the 15th I plan on going out and stocking up on healthy foods to start over again. I saw another girl posting about dr. pepper and have to say that soda would be the death of me if I let it be. I could drink it 24/7 365. So no more soda for me.

Also I am interested in bodybuilding and would love some advise from people who have been overweight lost the weight and started bodybuilding. Just interested to know how you started and could you point me in the right direction. So there you go guys, it's all on the table. Can't wait to hear from you :smile:

Replies

• mynameisnotlisa
    mynameisnotlisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site, Julie! I have about 110 pounds to lose; would love to follow you and join you on your journey! We can do it! :D
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 358 today... Also a sahm on the couch all day nursing. :) feel free to add me
  • jhunter321
    Options
    Thank-you Ladies. :smile:
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I've lost 42lbs. Slower than some but still losing. I started this site when I hit the 290-300 lbs range
  • konfidentialglitter
    Options
    Hi. Welcome
  • the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well my highest weight was only 256, but i managed to loose 80 lbs of it! It took me about a year and a half, and then i've just maintained since. Now i'm ready to loose the next 25 lbs and tone up! you seem to have all the means to loose the weight (ellipticals are amazing, i have one too!) just need to get at it! A great burner on the elliptical is doing intervals! 1 min going as fast as possible, then 1 - 2 min going steady pace ( to catch breath), then repeat it 3 - 5 times. That right there is a 10 - 15 min hard work out that burns more calories then just mindlessly using the elliptical and a steady pace for 30 min!

Like they say, you can't out-run a bad diet! So if pop is your weakness, stay clear of it! Feel free to add me!

I am wanting to start strength training myself. :-)
  • paulamortimer56
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I would love having you on my team as well. We can cheer each other on. You are not alone,
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    my heaviest was 301. I'm down in the low 260's now with a goal of being in one-derland and then down to 180 and seeing how I feel then. I'm 5'10 and know that 180 is just a starting point for some! LOL I''ve been over 200 pounds since I was a teen, so reaching onderland in itself will be a huge accomplishment for me.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    my heaviest weight was 307.2 lbs on sept 30, 2012 .. i changed my life around , i weigh 264 i work out 5-6 days a week and i eat super clean and i am so happy with my progress and the live i am living!
  • samsteve2012
    samsteve2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi ive only been on here since the 1st of jan, we could encourage each other, it sounds good to me, I will send you a request :)
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie,

Keep in mind that it will probably take you a while to assemble the right mix MFPals that work for you - and for them. I would give it at least 6 months with trial and error. Some people have trouble removing friends. IMO, don't be afraid to drop those who fail to log in for long periods of time or who just aren't ready to commit. I've had friends that after 6 months are still losing the same two pounds. Not helpful to you. Keep searching when you drop people. Avoid "collectors" who think this is Facebook and they need hundreds of friends. Adding friends is easy. Losing weight is hard. With a little experience you will be able to spot them.

Don't get discouraged with all the trial and error. Others may disagree but these things have been my experience after a year here.

Good luck on your journey!

15800624.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Check out 'new rules of lifting for women' book to get into lifting heavy stuff! there's a load of support on here...that's how i discovered it and on Facebook. And everyone can do it no matter how much weight we have to lose (unfortunately i have realized that it's get fit in the gym lose fat in the kitchen so have to keep up watching what i eat) but we will end up fit not just un-fat!
  • MissACC
    MissACC Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi! I am currently 329 (starting weight 338). We're in the same boat, especially with the soda thing. I drank up to 60 oz of Diet Pepsi a day until last week when I gave it up cold turkey. You can do it!! We can all do it!
  • LouMonoLou
    Options
    I started when i was 233 lbs in February 2012. I'm at 181.8 lbs now! I feel MUCH better but I'm not satisfied yet.

If you want accept my friend request :D

And you people,feel free to add me if you want. I'd love to have more friends to motivate each other :)
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I was 300lbs when I started my journey just over 2 years ago. The best generic advice I can offer is to make small, sustainable, permanent life changes. Don't get too caught up in an overnight lifestyle change.

Ditching the soda is a great start as is looking for alternative snack options. In brief, my changes started with removing alcohol/soda/tobacco and lowering my food intake(didn't eat anything healthier really, just less of it). I lost the first 40 lbs or so just minding how much I was eating. After about 6 months I started to get more serious, choosing healthier options, snacking less and getting enough sleep. For me that's 6-8 hours to feel good. Lost another 20 lbs that way and maintained it for 9 months before finding MFP after deciding to lose more weight and join the military. I was challenged to drop 70 lbs and am nearly to my goal :) Last august I started measuring out portions, logging nearly everything I consumed accurately and working out 6x a week. Also took up running on the side.

It may seem like a lot, but so long as you keep the big picture in mind it isn't too overwhelming. Make small realistic goals (go for a walk 3x this week or 30 minutes on the elliptical 3 days) and long term goals to work towards (lose 50 lbs / complete a 5k race etc)

Good luck on your Journey!

oh, and take plenty of before pictures, you will want them when you reach your goal :D
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Welcome Julie!

I know how it is with 2 kids - I have 22 months between my son and daughter. My daughter was born in May 2011 and my son turned 2 in the June. I put on a lot of weight in my 2nd pregnancy and felt so awful and in the beginning I was sitting on the sofa non-stop breastfeeding my daughter. It was a tough time, and my son was very jealous, so in the end I started mix feeding so I could move from the sofa and give my son some attention!

Anyway, I started back at the gym when she was 7 weeks old and started personal training when she was 8 weeks. I was weighed then and was about 218lbs I think. On me that was massive!

It has taken me 18 months to get down to 164lbs, but I've done a lot of weight training, so have put on muscle as well as losing fat. My measurements now are 38-30-40 and i'd like them to be lower. I was probably wearing a UK size 20 (US 16) after I had my daughter and am now in a UK 12 (US8) mainly.

Definitely start to focus on what you eat. Something like porridge (oatmeal for you americans!) is great for breakfast, and it's good for your mill supply too. I also eat egg a lot for the protein, and also my kids like it. For lunch I like salads, and I usually make quite simple things for dinner like chicken and veg or fishcakes and veg or jacket potato and tuna. I try to make things that don't take too long, that my kids like, and that are healthy.

Here is a photo of me after I had my daughter:

worst_pic.jpg
    free image hosting

and my most recent photo from the other day:
    SAM_0400.jpg
    online photo storage

You are welcome to add me as a friend to get some meal ideas, and just for general support and motivation!
  • BluBecca
    Options
    Hi, I am a first timer and over 300 pounds as well. I am sending you a friend request! You seem like such a positive person. I know we can encourage eachother through this!! :)
  • sweetfluffycotton
    Options
    Hi Julie, I'm a newbie. I just joined today around 4:40 am in the morning can you believe it! I am a mother and know the heartache of trying to lose weight after having a child. I've tried the HCG diet for 40 days and lost around 18 pounds but gained 10 pounds after that. I paid a lot of money for the program and regret it. Although the shots of vitaminB12 helped my energy a lot. I work two jobs and currently selling online ya know network marketing so I don't have a lot of time to excercise, but I know watching what I eat is something I can do at the begining.

Please if anyone is out there wanting some support. I will definitely be there for you.I want to help as many people as I can. If anyone has tried the HCG diet and to no avail please respond. I want to hear from you. Julie I know that you will lose weight in the months to come because you sound really eager to change and with change comes new beginings. Julie you are beautiful if I may say. Your light radiates around you and your children. This is the time to take a hold of your life and start anew. Knowing that your children love you no matter what and they you will do your best to live life to the fullest so you can be there for them no matter what or the circumstance.

I hope I'm not getting too personal, but I can feel your kindness. Take charge now and know that in a few months to come you will be 100 punds lighter and you'll have that energy that you've been looking for. Well, I hope this helps. ciao!:heart:
  • nicstir
    nicstir Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi I would love to join u on your journey, my names nic nice to meet you I have about 60 lbs to lose we can do this !!
  • craigja
    craigja Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi Julie,
    Hang in there. At my highest I was somewhere near 400 pounds. I stopped weighing in at 394 because I didn't want to know. I've been on this site for about 9 months, can't remember. I didn't collect friends at first because I wasn't sure I was committed. I've lost close to 100 pounds since joining MFP at 375 pounds and love it. I have id's on many, many weight loss sites but ths one works for me. It's strange the accountability this site drives within yourself. There is something different here and I'm sure what it is but I sure hope it doesn't stop. It's also powerful when a person just comments and says "good job".

Every single one of us on here are in the same position we're just all at different stages of our journey. I've met people that have 25 pounds to lose and people that have 250 pounds to lose. I've also met people that have lost a lot and are here to keep it off. Remember however that helpful may mean a good kick in the pants if you need it. I've needed it and welcome it when I've lost focus and can't see that.

Good luck to you. We're here for you.