Coffee junkies? :)

Options
I have this little "secret." I love coffee. I love that it fills me up, the taste, the smell, iced, hot, lattes... It makes me happy. I drink
way more than I probably should. That said, I'm okay with that! It's my one vice that I won't give it up (think Linus & his blankey). I am however, noticing that a few cups a day with 2 Tablespoons of sugar free hazlenut creamer is adding up to too much saturated fat (it contains palm oil). So hit me up with some new ways to drink it (& do not suggest black or with skim milk--blah!). I just tried 1T half & half (no palm oil), 1 Truvia & some almond extract--not bad. So keep rocking those travel mugs (and teeth whiteners!) ;-) & friend me fellow caffeine junkies!! :)

Replies

• Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I love coffee too and will never give it up!! I just use a fat free cream and Splenda. It only has 15 calories per tablespoon and its great.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I work for Nespresso coffee and we have a bunch of recipes online:

http://www.nespresso.com/ultimate-coffee-creations/INT/en/search/all.html (scroll down and click all recipes)

Just note that where it gives a list of ingredients as such as "2 capsules of xyz" this means 2 shots of espresso.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and am thankful that I drink it black!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    My eyes lit up @ this post :frown: UNTIL:frown: you said

no black:sad: :cry:

love black coffee :brokenheart:

other times, half/half creamers are good like 2, and two sugar packets (real sugar) or a flavor creamer of my choice 2-4tablespoons
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love coffee!!! I recently (jan 1) gave up having splenda in my coffee because I've been wanting to cut out as much artificial things in my diet as I can....but I still have cream. Yes cream, not milk! Its so much more enjoyable to me with real cream. I have maybe 2 cups a day....sometimes a 3rd in the afternoon but I'll have decaf then.

I CANNOT drink those flavored creamers because I get seriously addicted, its sooo bad.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sprinkling some cinnamon into your grounds before you brew it? That's tasty!! I drink mine black so I can't help you on the other part. Once in a while I use half and half, but only once in a while!!
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Black coffee junkie; it makes me happy, and all of those I encounter are relieved that I have no plans to give it up!
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love coffee too. I used to drink 8 cups a day! and with cream and sugar! Then I weened myself to just cream, then just 2% milk. Now down to 2 cups in the morning only still with the 2% milk. After finding out artificial sweetners are bad for your body, I am slowly replacing milk with Steevia.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love coffee too. I used to drink 8 cups a day! and with cream and sugar! Then I weened myself to just cream, then just 2% milk. Now down to 2 cups in the morning only still with the 2% milk. After finding out artificial sweetners are bad for your body, I am slowly replacing milk with Steevia.

During the day I now drink Green tea with lemon or Chai tea
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I add 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk (10 calories) or a tbsp of coconut creamer (10 calories) and some splenda.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    How about switching to cappuccinos. When I switched to espresso based drinks with 1% milk and just a sprinkle of sugar on top I started saving calories. The trick is to get a really high quality coffee bean.

If the thought of an espresso maker is daunting try a capsule based maker. I LOVED my Nesprsso machine - had the citiz with the aeroccino milk frother.
  • lvisel
    lvisel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know! I love coffee, too. I'm so thankful that I like it black, though.
  • camronrblack314
    camronrblack314 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and I'm willing to give it up either. I started using less sugar a few weeks ago. Now I'm using Truvia instead of sugar and using less cream, fat free of course.
  • fit4change
    fit4change Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So funny!! Not that I won't drink it black...if I run out of calories!! :) It's just more of a "treat" to keep me going through the day. Drinking artificially sweetened coffee (I know, I know, it's bad for me--blah, blah--it's my one vice, remember?!) definitely keeps me from snacking & hitting the sweets. Thanks, for the ideas! Off for a refill...
  • Rosie5230
    Rosie5230 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    At least 100 of my calories come from cream and sugar in my coffee. I cannot stand the taste of fake sugar so i use the real thing. I just work it in my calories for the day. I did give up Starbucks though. Grande Caramel Mochas with whip are like half a days worth of calories. but I don't miss it too much.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is pretty tasty - I was surprised when I finally tried it. I'm doing mostly 1% milk, though - it is what we have in the house....
  • fit4change
    fit4change Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Love me some Truvia!! :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have gradually weaned down to 1 teaspoon of sugar (sugar in the raw, demarara, etc. not the refined stuff if I have a choice) and two tablspoons of half and half (the real stuff, not the fat free). My cup sizes are 18 and 22 oz. (my diary reflects a 12 oz cup of coffee so Imake two of my 18 oz cups equal to 3-12 oz cups). But considering I started with 3-4 teaspons per cup, that has been a significant decrease. Its one of the "sneaky" sources of calories and fat.

But I'm with you, I'm not going to give it all up unless I am directed to. As the sign says in our coffee room (and I put it up), "Life is too short for bad coffee!"

I used to use the ID French Vanilla flavoring. Gradually lost my taste for that. I have also gradually increased my preference for darker roasts (not all are created equally).

Good luck on your search for the alternative cup of coffee.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee like I like my women, black.

what wait? sometimes I'll put a pack of splenda in for an extra treat on the weekend.
  • ElaineRochelle
    Options
    I also love coffee!! What if you tried using a flavoured milk substitute.. like vanilla flavoured rice milk ? I have mine with milk, or black. You also could try flavoured coffee black. After awhile you get used to it and you (hopefully) won't miss the milk!