disappointed, 11.6 lbs in 8 weeks?

So I was looking at a weight report at how much I have lost, ( I started october 1st) and from October 16 until today I have only lost 11.6 lbs and I was kind of disappointed.... Should I be? I did slip a little at Christmas but I have Soooo much to loose I though at first it would come off a little quicker. Also how far below my BMR should I be eating? Just a base line figure, I MPF has me at 1240, I changed it to 1350 I think but my BMR is Higher like 1850. I have not been to the gym In a while due to finals and the holidays and my kids being out on christmas break.....

Replies

• Don't forget muscle weighs more then fat. So the only way I can tell I've lost weight is my how my clothes fit. Also take progress pictures too. It is hard to tell when losing weight on the scale because of the muscle being built. Hope this help!
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    You should NOT be eating below your BMR.

Calculate your TDEE and deduct 20% off of that, as a general rule of thumb.

Congrats on the 11.6 pounds :) Nothing to be disappointed about.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 540 Member
    I don't think you should be disapponted at all!!! Keep going....you're doing GREAT!!!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    That sounds like it is a healthy weight loss. Loosing between 0.5-2lbs a week is healthy.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    You should NOT be eating below your BMR.

Calculate your TDEE and deduct 20% off of that, as a general rule of thumb.

Congrats on the 11.6 pounds :) Nothing to be disappointed about.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    you are disappointed with that loss? really? I would be thrilled to lose that much in the same time frame.

It's not a race, you will get where you want to be. Stay the course.

11.6 is great!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Considering the healthy rate of weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week, you've met that recommendation, so I really wouldn't be disappointed. Its not all going to fall off overnight. Just keep working at it, and you will get results. Hang in there.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    You know how many people come in here and never lose anything. Be proud of any little weight loss even if it's only a half pound. I'm getting ready to weigh in in a few and haven't lost any weight since December 1st. Keep at it and be persistent.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 644 Member
    Maybe you could open your diary?

Also when you say you "slipped a little at Christmas" - what exactly do you mean? I've seen some people on the forums who put 13 lbs back on over the holidays - what does your weightloss curve look like?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Slow and steady is better - much more likely to keep it off. Hang in there.

And I don't think you should be eating below your BMR - if you need that amount of calories while you're in a coma, you need more when you're up and moving around, going through your daily routine, and even more if you're exercising. :smile:

Better to find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract 15 or 20% from that to create a deficit. Have a look at this topic - I use it to find and set my goals, and it's working great for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    If your still losing or maintaining be happy!!! I'm finally taking the slow and steady route. It looks like you are going that route. It's real weight loss that doesn't come back in a few days.
  • essentials2x7wl
    essentials2x7wl Posts: 11 Member
    I'd be really happy with 11.6lbs! well done you :)

Your BMR is the lowest amount of calories your body needs to function on. NEVER eat below it. It will not only slow down your weight loss but make you tired, lethargic & grumpy!

Like post above, work out your total daily energy expenditure and deduct 20%. I've literally only just stared doing it this way but i feel great in myself for eating proper food AND lost 3lbs!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This link is really helpful :)
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Nearly a pound and half a week over a 8 weeks is nothing to be disappointed over. That's putting up fairly good numbers. Keep up the good work.

With regard to BMR, you should probably try to avoid going below that. As someone else mentioned, calculating TDEE and then shaving off 20% is a fairly decent rule-of-thumb starting place. You can then adjust from there.

Stick with it. Don't get discouraged. You're doing fine.
  • ma_oeuvre
    ma_oeuvre Posts: 123
    Well, I'm totally jealous! My weight loss is painfully slow. :)
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    you are averaging a 1.5 lb loss every week and are disappointed?

Stop watching the Biggest Loser tv show.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Slow and steady is better - much more likely to keep it off. Hang in there.

And I don't think you should be eating below your BMR - if you need that amount of calories while you're in a coma, you need more when you're up and moving around, going through your daily routine, and even more if you're exercising. :smile:

Better to find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract 15 or 20% from that to create a deficit. Have a look at this topic - I use it to find and set my goals, and it's working great for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    ^^^^READ THIS POST! It really is an eye opener. Eating below your BMR is not sustainable.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Well, it's a lot better than 0 in 8 weeks. 11.6 is great! Don't rush it.
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    you are averaging a 1.5 lb loss every week and are disappointed?

Stop watching the Biggest Loser tv show.

This.

Progress is progress. Keep moving forward,you're doing well.
  • That sounds good!! I hear 1-2 lbs a week is healthy. Sounds like you're doing just fine (remember the holidays were somewhere in those weeks too!!!)
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    I think you should be very proud of yourself.
    I started in September and have lost 15.

Here are some things to be happy about:

- you're no longer GAINING weight

- you're better off than a whole lot of people who haven't taken the first step

- you're a lot closer to your goal than you were 5 months ago