Comfort food-how do you cope with stress, boredom etc.

Options
Hello everyone. I'm a high school student. I tend to be a perfectionist, so I stress a lot over my school stuff, which of course, causes me to comfort eat. Do you have any advice, or a story that you'd like to share about how you manage your emotions or cope with stress at times. I love this site so much, it's helped me a lot, but I fear, when the next school term starts, that something will go wrong, like it usually does..because I really have tried a lot of things before.
P.S If anyone needs support, add me as a friend so we can support one another :*

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    A firm schedule. If I know I have a snack coming at 3pm, I'm less likely to raid the fridge at 2pm.

I've also realized that I somehow think eating yummy food will make me feel better. And it does, for the 5 minutes I eat it, but then whatever feelings I was trying to get rid of before I was eating come back. It's not a long term fix. Finding something to do to keep my mind occupied works better than eating.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you still living at home?

If you still live at home, talk to your parents about your weight loss efforts and ask them if they would mind not buying junk food and if they do, tell them to hide it for themselves to have, out of sight of where you can see. This helped me a lot in the beginning because it's so easy to reach for the candy if it's in a bowl on the coffee table, but if my Mom has it hid away somewhere, out of sight-out of mind.

If you grocery shop for yourself, don't shop while you're hungry or feeling stressed and emotional, you're more likely to grab unhealthy comfort foods than when you're relaxed and thinking clearly.

It also has a lot to do will self discipline. Personally, I'm fine with self discipline when I don't see my favorite comfort foods sitting around, but the second there's cake/cookies/brownies on the table (baked goods do it for me every time), that self discipline dissolves, fast; which is why I make my mom hide junk food or tell her not to buy any.
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I realised that I need to snack on something when I am stressed out, but it doesn't make much of a difference what it is. So I often eat tons of raw carrots or other raw vegetable that are healthy and low in calories. Cucumber is good as well.

And for me drinking lots of tee helps as well.

Apart from that, regular workouts reduce my stress level a lot and I try to be outside at least once a day. I ride my bike to work, so I don't need to make extra time for a walk or so.

I work full time and study aside.

Good luck and you can add me if you like.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    1 things will go wrong. you can count on it. that is life. realize this and embrace it. life isn't perfect and neither are you. it's ok and good even! only through struggle do we change.

2 it's learning to deal w things when they don't go perfectly that can make a difference. many of us, me included, have a tendency to turn to food when stressed. here's the thing though, as long you are alive stress will be with you. it is a part of the human condition.

3 learning to replace what you do when stressed w something else is the key. Now, in many ways that is easier said than done. things that help me replace eating when stressed have been dancing on my ps3, going for a walk, having a cup of green tea ( being slow w it, taking the time to breathe in the fragrant steam), meditating, watching something funny, reading memes, etc. These are things that work for me.

4. I still falter, and so will you. this doesn't mean you have failed, it means you are human. forgive yourself, love yourself. you are worth it. (i still sometimes turn to comfort food during midterms and finals. last midterms was a nightmare, but i did much better during finals. focus on your triumphs and examine what you did that brought about success during those times. Consider mimicking the behavior w which you were pleased.)
  • iluvciara073
    Options
    hi everybody my name is chelsea my problem is when i get depressed i cant stop eating at all if i know there is food to eat i will eat it same as when i am bored i cnt help but eat and i tell myself everyday i need to lose weight my doctor tells me i need to lose weight because i am 20 yrs old and i can have a heart attack stroke anything can anybody give me some advice?? also i feel like i have no energy i have 3 kids and we are cooped up in the house all the time cause i dont feel like going anywhere..
  • Amy967
    Amy967 Posts: 20
    Options
    The fact that you came here is a big step forward...set realistic goals and don't give up :)
  • wisteri
    wisteri Posts: 14
    Options
    I read the book Shrink Yourself Thin, and while I didn't agree with all of it I found it much more beneficial to work on the root of the emotional eating rather than the eating itself. You can't cure an illness by only treating the symptoms. I'm a serious emotional eater but now I feel like I'm better at recognizing emotional hunger vs. physical hunger. If it is emotional hunger, any comfort will do including a hug, a short walk, singing to music, calling a friend, or even just writing out my frustration.

Start by taking note of things you do that are relaxing that don't include eating, then when you are feeling emotionally hungry you can try those instead. Right now I'm drinking a lot of mint tea because I find the aroma and warm mug comfort and relax me. A lot of times the tea will go cold because it is more for something to hold than to consume. Singing along with music is a huge one for me,even though I have a fairly awful singing voice. You might also benefit from learning meditation or yoga to relieve the stress.
  • lottie_lu123
    Options
    My problem is I eat badly when stressed, when happy, when sad and when I feel like I need something to look forward to. (Which says a lot about me). More so when I am stressed. I have found rowing helps.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm training myself to work out my stress or at least get out of the house, take a walk, clear my head and go back in.

If you MUST eat, try just chewing on gum or a low calorie version of what you're craving (this works for me because I binge eat if I get started).
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The longer it is out of your system the less you're body craves it, however the more you're mind craves it.
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    I am a comfort eater.
    I was a reallly thin fitness freak until i got my first bout of depression and then the eating started.
    I have only recently started to get on top of things tbh but I find that you just have to substitute it for soemthing else.
    For instance when I feel stressed I go for a long bath, spend a couple of hours by myself shopping etc or talk to someone and vent all my problems.
    Add me if you want someone to help you through:)
    x
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem all through university. I took up walking when I was really stressed, took a break to clean my house (I hae a bit of OCD so when school was nit working the house could also be in perfect shape), when I was studing or doing assignments have carrots and other veggies cut and ready to go, id also eat popcorn in small bowls so I had toake a consious effort to have more.

Try logging the food your about to eat before you eat it. It will make you consious on it.

Good luck!
    .jenn
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You have to find some non-food ways of dealing with stress. Take a yoga class, or study meditation. They really help you change your mind. Or sign up for a martial arts class--it's a kick-*kitten* workout and it helps you develop patience and discipline.
  • meechster20001
    meechster20001 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible carb craving comfort eater and I've managed to beat it by simply not buying the usual bad stuff I'd go for and instead making sure I've got loads of fruit and fresh chopped veggies to go. Having something to hand makes it easier plus filling up with some water or sugar free cordial takes away the taste of wanting something sweet.
  • Amy967
    Amy967 Posts: 20
    Options
    thanks guys...your pieces of advice are really helpful, they helped now, when I felt like I could eat a horse :))
  • Reese61477
    Reese61477 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tell myself "this food isn't your friend and it's not going to fix the problem". Then I go and work out!
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    I like snacking on fruit and vegetables, tasty and low on calories
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    I'm not as much of a comfort eater as some, but I have my moments!

One thing that sometimes works for me is to have a hot drink instead. Usually a cup of tea, but if I fancy something more "foody", I might have one of those low cal hot chocolates (about 40 calories). I used to sometimes have Bovril too.

Sometimes I have a hot bath if I feel the urge. By the time I get out of the bath the feeling has gone.
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you believe it's going to go wrong anyway then IT WILL. Simple as that. Positive attitude will get you through a lot.
  • kknfyd
    kknfyd Posts: 9
    Options
    Been there done that!

I find that if I just stop and let whatever has caused the stress to pass I feel better. Please know that it sounds easier said than done and yet, for me, it is a behavior I welcome in my life.

It has been a long time since I have put it into practice and I am doing so now.

I, too, am going to school amidst working or stressing over not working, and find that I need to implement the behavior I am sharing with you. I am once again tracking my food so I can validate when I binge because of stress. It is not my favorite thing to do (tracking my food) because it makes me accountable.....

Hang in there!