Counting calories or macronutrients? Or both?

Options
I try to count both, but end up eating in repetion, do you guys count calories or macro's?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I would try not to count either if I was suffering with an eating disorder. Instead count the number of servings you have from each food group to ensure you take in enough micronutrients for optimum mental wellbeing and physical health.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Strictly from a dietary standpoint, do the macronutrients affect body fat percentages? Like Higher Protein lower carb?
  • nhughes1864
    nhughes1864 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have both on my food log but I usually just count calories and if I'm under my calorie intake I'm good. I don't pay attention as much to if I'm under or over the nutrients.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Strictly from a dietary standpoint, do the macronutrients affect body fat percentages? Like Higher Protein lower carb?

No. Overall calories affet body fat gain or loss. Macronutrients are for overall balance of diet.
  • NatalieJane92
    Options
    Honestly, does it really matter what they affect? (not meaning to sound harsh there at all btw) I used to have an ed and obsessed over both of these constantly. The key to fit and healthy is regular meals with a healthy balance. Cut out the crap and replace it for good! Exercise, exercise and more exercise! :D
  • VeinsAndBones
    Options
    So regardless of bloodsugar/insulin levels calories are all that count? Sorry I'm just trying to wrap my brain around all this new info haha
  • NatalieJane92
    Options
    So, i know i only study fitness and personal training at uni, but i do diet and nutrition... my lecturer is a complete health freak and the advice she gives us all day everyday is.... DONT COUNT CALORIES
  • mmapags
    Options
    So regardless of bloodsugar/insulin levels calories are all that count? Sorry I'm just trying to wrap my brain around all this new info haha

In terms of fat and fat storage, yes. There is no need to worry about things like insulin. Just eat a diet balanced in protein, fats and carbs and overall calories that suit your goals. You may be overanalyzing all this.
  • mmapags
    Options
    So, i know i only study fitness and personal training at uni, but i do diet and nutrition... my lecturer is a complete health freak and the advice she gives us all day everyday is.... DONT COUNT CALORIES

And what would be the reasoning behind this?
  • FizzyAndTango
    Options
    What are macronutrients? I keep seeing them spoken about on here, but I have no idea what they are xxx
  • mmapags
    Options
    What are macronutrients? I keep seeing them spoken about on here, but I have no idea what they are xxx

Protein, fats and carbohydrates are the 3 macronutrients.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    quoted from wikopodia- "There are three primary macronutrients defined as being the classes of chemical compounds humans consume in the largest quantities and which provide bulk energy. These are protein, fat, and carbohydrate.".
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I started with just calories. Then moved to watching macros. Now I also watch my micronutrients too.
  • VeinsAndBones
    Options
    So essentially, even if I ate 90% of my calories in Carbohydrate form, as long as I was in a defecit it wouldn't affect weight gain/loss?
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    technically no...calorie deficit= weight loss... however, this is not ideal of course..same as if you ate high fat foods but stayed within your calories. not ideal. well balanced is the key :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary, and if you want to be healthy and lose weight you need a serious rethink. You need a balanced diet and a reasonable deficit - carrying on as you are is going to lead to health problems and an established eating disorder which will be very hard to recover from. Please stop if you can.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories. Now I pay more attention to macronutrients. I find that if I make sure I get enough protein in my diet I tend to stay in the correct range for calories and I get better results for my fitness goals.