Strenght training with free-weights at home advice please

*strength training with free-weights at home advice please*

Hi i am about 3 months into my weight loss and untill now have only focused on eating less calories and cardio workouts.
I have just picked up an injury jogging and may not be able to continue for a short while, so i have decided to start strength training with Free-weights at home and hopefully retain some lean body mass.
Where do i start? I have Dumbbells a barbell, weights and a basic bench. Anybody kind enough to point me in the right direction of where to start and the right type of exercises to start with?
Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks Neil.

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    there are a few programmes online although I can't remember the names of them as I've always designed my own workouts by including exercises from each of the muscle groups.

there are good exercise video databased on bodybuilding dot com and muscle and strength dot com.

if you're a beginner, it's better to start with a whole body workout 3x a week, then as you get more experienced you can do split routines where you do e.g. upper body one day, lower body another day etc. A good programme will have all this worked out for you.

If you're a total beginner, then when you do the exercises to begin with use a weight you can lift 12-15 times, so you can practice getting the form right. After that move to heavier weights that you can lift 8-12 times (so that the last two or three reps are really difficult) - if you can do more than 12 reps the weight's too light (although for learning the correct form, use one you can lift more than 12 times)

But if you get a programme that's suitable for beginners that would be best, as it would have a lot more info, plus the exercises and how to do them, etc.
  • Full Body Circuits - and example from Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8T6MHisWQ

Designed to raise heart rate and to stimulate Type II a and b muscle fibres therefore stimulating a greater thermic response than just cardio or just weight training.

What is the weight range of your dumbbells and barbell?
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Check out JETFIT.com. It has a bunch of weightlifting programs. Also StrongLifts 5x5 is always a good one too.
  • neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    @ dhakiyya
    I will check out bodybuilding dot com and muscle and strength dot com Thanks alot for the links and advice i will look into a suitable beginner program,Thanks

@ notthatthis
    I had a look at the video it's cool how they name the exercises as they perform them,that's going to help me as i don't have a clue at the mo. I have about 100kg weight range total of free weights that i can swap and change,should keep me going for a while,Thank you

@ asimmons75
    I will take a look at JETFIT.com exactly the type of thing i was looking for ! I will also check out stronglifts 5x5 Thanks for taking the time to help me out!
    Amazing weight loss progress, well done!

Thank you all for the help, plenty to go on now. I will do upper body for a few weeks first as my leg is painfull at the mo. I do plan on working the whole body though, i plan on continuing my cardio via a rowing machine,cant wait to start jogging again i was just getting into it.
  • Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5
  • Here's an example of a "no weights" workout I do 3x/week. Designed by a trainer that is an ultra marathoner among other things, the woman is in crazy good shape!

3 Rounds
    Transition immediately to next move
    Take 2min of Recovery time between rounds

100 jumping jacks
    75 squats *put something (a box or whatever, that's a touch lower than your knees), to touch your butt to it with each squat
    50 push-ups
    25 full sit ups *old school ( no crunches) knees bent, all the way up, all the way down.

You should go at a pace to struggle through this, seriously!
    This is an "easy" workout, lol, let me know if you want tougher ones!
  • jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Bump something I am totally needing ; )
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Bump for me to read at a later date
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    I've trained almost exclusively at home with free weights. Dumbells & ezcurl bar since last may. Had some great progress and learned alot. Just me no spotter :( If you want my routine or more info than i have time to type here on my phone, send me a message. Happy to help.
    Edit: i do little cardio ( 1 hr/week)
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    I'm another who has trained exclusively at home. I chose Starting Strength because I figured Rippetoe would at least get me started off right with good form. And because there were only 3-4 lifts. I concentrated on deadlifts, squats, overhead press, bench press. Later I added on chin-ups & barbell glute bridges.

I highly recommend Starting Strength (latest edition) and there's a DVD/video that's about 15 minutes long where he coaches different people through the lifts. It was invaluable.
  • neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    Thanks guys, some great suggestions there. I'm looking forward to getting started !
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    check out www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts

they have a couple of different at home workouts that you might by find useful, with videos showing the right form .
  • check out www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts

they have a couple of different at home workouts that you might by find useful, with videos showing the right form .

Excellent stuff at muscleandstrenght.com - I highly recommend this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

And now people will say that beginners do not need to do splits but hey ho, each to their own. I would still stick to the full body workouts with high rep range and including the cardio element and get rid of the execess weight before trying to really build muscle.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    bump.

I want to incorporate weights into my workouts to tone up as I lose....fingers crossed!!
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Bump, I was looking for just this. :)
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 780 Member
    Bumping this to read later because my computer is incompetent :)
  • I workout at home with adjustable dumbbells, adjustable weight bench, power tower for pullups and dips, and elastic bands.

I'm currently doing Body Beast and supplementing it with Les Mills Combat (depending on my motivation and energy level).
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Bump!