Snacking

Options
Right people please help me out :)!
I prefer savoury things over sweet every time and would automatically reach for bread, crisps, salty-goodness every time I need a snack but am trying to rectify this.
SO - what snacks can I consider instead? I know fruit etc is the natural choice but this doesn't work for me all the time - I crave something savoury!
Any ideas?

Replies

• millipedey
    Options
    twiglets... or crackers
  • Jessalotts
    Options
    I shall stock up on crackers (with no butter, sob) - not a fan of twiglets :)

Thanks
  • dominoid747
    dominoid747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks or celery with a cream cheese dip works nicely for me. Crispbreads too, healther and quicker than toast but the same satisfying crunch. Cheese in smallish quantities works well too and as a source of protein fills you up nicely, same for eggs.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    * Pickles
    * Seaweed... Nori is very flavorful and has no calories to speak of
    * Nuts
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    try making youur own pita crisps, tortilla chips, pumpkin seeds. If u make these yourself u can add your own blend of seasonings
  • maluso61
    Options
    Almonds, almonds, almonds.....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I like to dip veggies in hummus - sugar snap peas, baby carrots, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, cherry tomatoes.

Or for some sweet and salty, dip apple slices in a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • djdube525
    djdube525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Almonds...

Veggies in red pepper hummus... Raw sweet potatoes, carrots, peppers work well here

Apple slices and crunchy peanut or almond butter
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hummus, YES! Kellogg's cracker chips, Milton whole grain crackers, nuts, rice cheks cereal (or similar) dry like popcorn, popcorn, any leftover. See what calories you have left for snacks - MEASURE (cause snacks can get away from you easily.)
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I also carve salty things when i snack. I found that roast chick peas are great. I used canned chick peas, just drain them and sprinkle in some seasoning, i like a little bit of curry, but i hear tacos seasoning is good as well. then just spread them out on a pan and bake them until they are crispy. Great substitute for chips!
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You might want to try the 100 cal packs of prigles!
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    Get yourself an air pop popcorn maker...VERY low in calories. I use various seasonings
    Depending what im hungry for on top, I love the dijon pampered chef or citrus basil ...its
    Flavorful and you dont eat a lot of calories, just avoid putting melted butter on it :)
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just got ryvita light crackerbread - only 19 calls a slice and its an excellent sub for stuff like bread! I'm the same as you - crisps and bread etc i sometimes crave soo much. I won't have crisps in the house anymore so I resist the temptation :)!
    Options
    Whole Wheat pretzels, 5 Whole Wheat Ritz crackers and Natural peanut butter , celery sticks with pemento cheese
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Baby Food Aisle - Gerber's Graduates Lil Snackers. They come in lots of flavors including banana, maple cinnamon, etc., and you can munch with zero guilt as they are super low in calories, carbs, & fat. They taste great too!

You can also get cheddar cheese snackers...all the pleasure of Cheetos and none of the guilt.
  • kristaleighwhite
    kristaleighwhite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sesame rice crackers usually calm my salt craving, and are low-calorie (I like to eat in bulk).
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Now most of you here are americans so you will understand what i say.... i love ****ing twinkies and beef jerky but they dont have that here like they got it in the states
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Low fat crackers or pita crisps with just a little bit of a really strong, sharp cheese. (I can be satisfied with only a little cheese as long as its a really flavourful one)
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You could also air pop popcorn in your microwave if you don't have a popper- use a brown paper bag (the lunch size bags), put in your popcorn, and tape it with scotch tape- the timing depends on your microwave/altitude (lived in NJ and 3-3:30 min was enough, now in Denver and it takes about 2 minutes and then starts burning), but it turns out great and is super easy!

Also, pistachios are a fantastic salty/healthy snack, too, in shell so they aren't as easy just to scarf down.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Defo agree with popcorn. I made it will chilli powder before too, yum.

Also, I get little bags of bite size oatcakes and dip them in extra light phili with a bit of sweet chilli sauce. Mmmm.