Are you having an Alcohol Free January ?

Options

Replies

• pkayekiel
    Options
    Me and all my neighbors are all alcohol free this January. They are finding the weight dropping of quickly too. While I have lost weight, not as much, but then I am the only woman! Congrats!
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    well I don't drink anymore, so yes :)
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I was planning for a alcohol free jan but had some disappointments and so i fail!!
    <-- loser
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I signed up to do a dry january. All sponsorship go's to cancer research. Good cause, good outcome seemed like a winner to me. http://www.justgiving.com/dryathlete-sara-brown Fancy a brand new fundraising challenge this New Year?

Kick-start your preparation for the next Race for Life and help save even more lives this January. Join the nation’s first Dryathlon™: give up alcohol for January and raise money for Cancer Research UK. New Year’s resolutions are looming, so why not start 2013 by knocking that glass of wine on the head for a month? This is your chance to feel fitter, wealthier and help us to beat cancer sooner!

Find out how much that vino is really costing you in calories / pounds and become a Cancer Research UK Dryathlete: www.dryathlon.org

Dunno if its too late to sign up but i thought this was an excellent idea!!!
  • staceybiomed
    staceybiomed Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wish that I could show that kind of restraint! I'm in a weekly bowling league and beer is just as much a part of the night as the bowling is!!
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yup. Decided to detox after the holiday indulgences. It's been easy up til now. Now I'm starting to miss it :-)
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't drink, so yes?
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I haven't had any since December 2, 2102. But, that's only because it's counter to my diet. I still love beer, and can't wait til I get to where I can mix some back in.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Not only no, but HELL no!

^this

I burn it off on the dance floor W00t!
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am and am planning on not drinking (or at least drinking very little) until after my first half marathon in March. Before I would have drink or 2 a few nights a week and then I usually had at least 1 binge drinking night a week. Man, do those calories add up. So far it has been easier than I thought it would be. I have even been out with friends a few times and just ordered a club soda or a water. I definitely don't miss the hangovers or the way I would almost always skip the gym Sat and Sun because I partied too much the previous night. Also I'm down 5 lbs since the start of the year! I have always been a drinker so it's been a good experience to give it up for a bit.
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    so far so good :)
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i'm having one but not because at the beginning of the month i thought "i'll go january without alcohol." more of a "i just don't feel like drinking any alcohol" kind of month.
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i used to be terrible at this but the months half way done, i've been killin peer pressure :)
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am trying. I consume alcohol almost daily. I live in a culture where wine is served with every meal, wine and cheeses are the norm social event, and most of my work meetings take place over drinks. Factor in being a sports fan and living with someone who does not feel they should have to quit just because I am, it has been a challenge! But I've been trying to correlate my consumption with a few health issues and was informed that it would take approximately 6 months of detoxing - it is really hard, since I can't 'avoid' it in my every day life. So far, I've managed to cut down to consuming only once a week - and I've noticed the difference in my body - just not the weight yet.
  • amazingmarla
    amazingmarla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am! I've been one of those "One glass of wine, two glasses of wine...how many glasses was that?" kind of social drinker. Last weekend I had my first test--went to a White Elephant party with some girlfriends. LOTS of alcohol, and tons of dips and appetizers with cream cheese as their first ingredient. All in all, I drank a ton of water (so I always had a "drink" in my hand and no one had the chance to offer me any alcohol) and stuck to my portion sizes. I came in just a little above my calorie goal for the day--and I was pretty proud of myself.

After this month, I may try wine sparingly at home. For me, it's always the pressure of a gathering and others drinking that makes me cave.
  • louisel809
    Options
    We always do a dry January, just because for the Xmas fortnight we pretty much drink every day....not getting drunk but just steady boozing, loads of get together a etc. finding it hard as usual....especially with the ice cold bottle of cava in the fridge winking at me.
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Hadn't had a drink from July 1 last year until Thanksgiving... Felt like crap the next day. Apparently being unable to learn from my mistakes, I drank (less) on Christmas....and felt like crap the next day. I think I may be done, at least for a while.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am impressed. I have the same habit - a glass of wine or two after work (or even after the gym :ohwell: ). Any tips on how to break this habit? Perhaps I should start a new thread...

For me, I used to have a glass just to "relax," but now, it's more simply because I like wine.

Stop buying any, seriously. No alcohol in the house except when you have dinner guests, don't carry money or cards to the gym or work that you don't NEED, take your lunch to work and a bottle of water to the gym. Just carry money or cards on the day you need gas and groceries, or when you have a planned night out.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Stop buying any, seriously. No alcohol in the house except when you have dinner guests, don't carry money or cards to the gym or work that you don't NEED, take your lunch to work and a bottle of water to the gym. Just carry money or cards on the day you need gas and groceries, or when you have a planned night out.

good idea!
  • Nathca01
    Options
    Yup! I had a alcohol free December and I'm doing it this month as well! Though I don't crave it so it really doesn't matter much to me. I sip on water and ice when I go to bars with friends :)