Need Advice

Options
I am 3 weeks postpartum from a c section. I am not allowed to workout for 3-5 more weeks depending when my doctor gives me the ok. Is there anyway I can lose weight from just dieting for now or do you have to be exercising to lose weight? If I can what kind of foods should I be eating? I try to drink as much water as possible.

Replies

• Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I didn't work out for months after my c section, but on the day I gave birth I didn't snack on unhealthy stuff, and followed a healthy eating plan. I dropped my pregnancy weight really well. It was a long time ago but you can drop plenty of weight if your sensible without exercising. Good luck
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You can do pelvic tilts, kegels, transverse abdominus exercises, etc. I think it is possible to lose weight by eating in moderation and staying within your calorie goal per day. There are plenty of people who lost weight just by eating within their calorie goal. It just takes a lot of self-control, but the good is you can eat what you want still. Although, eating healthy foods helps make you healthier so I'd say do both.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Your body is still healing and recovering from surgery, so just don't deprive it of needed nutrients!
    Eat lean proteins and good fats.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Walk every day...as much as time and energy will allow. If you are not nursing, cut calories but be sure to keep up the protein as you need it to heal. Congrats on your new baby!
  • mjswalters
    mjswalters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tend to be of the opinion that the first 6 weeks after birth you shouldn't worry about what you eat. You have a new baby to adjust to, your body is trying to recover from a major change, your hormones are whack, you are burning crazy calories ramping up milk production, you are sleep deprived, etc etc etc. The first 6 weeks are about recovery and survival, or at least they always were for me. And recovering from a c-section is recovering from major surgery. So walk if you feel up to it, eat healthfully (but not restrictively) if you have the energy to prepare healthy foods, but don't stress your self out with "bouncing back" just yet. 9 months to put it on, 9 months to take it off.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on healthy eating, a balance of all the food groups and all the nutrients you need for healing.
  • blubberbegone1976
    blubberbegone1976 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I lost 12kg quite easily by not doing very much at all following birth, and then I had to move mountains to shift anything after that. Given that's about what they say you should gain during pregnancy, I assume that was just my body adjusting to my non-pregnant body (ie fluid retention etc), and the rest was the fat I gained during pregnancy. I didn't do anything for the first 3 weeks as I physically was still in pain. I remember starting small walks from about then and remember I could walk 5km by 6 weeks pp. I had lost over 20kg within about 8 months but now I've gained that all back so I'm finding this much harder to shift than immediately after the birth. :(
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    i haven't exercised beyond walking. I've lose 48lb in 7 months (28 weeks)
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    i had an operation in august last year and was unable to exercise at all for 4 weeks then only very gentle 20min walks for a further 2 wks. it nearly drove me nuts!!!! but i got through and didnt gain any weight still lost a small amount. Just drink water around 8 glasses a day,eat plenty of veges and some fruits and limit your carbs while not exercising and make sure the carbs you do eat are good ones!!! brown rice, brown bread and whole grains.good luck
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    you can definitely lose weight without exercise- joist be really careful with what you're recording!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You probably can't imagine feeling 100% again at the moment can you? At about 3wks you'll notice a dramatic improvement but still go easy because tiredness is a big setback (physical not mental from lack of sleep). I went back to PT after 8 wks - that was a year ago and there are stll exercises she won't do.

Initially I just tried to eat well for energy and recovery as others have said...protein is your best friend (boiled eggs a good snack). If you're breastfeeding you are going to feel hungrier and need to go with it but try and stick to nutrient rich food. You will feel better and more focused again eventually so relax and enjoy baby knowing that this is all momentary!