I got a FitBit for Christmas

Today is the first day I am really using it. This is what it read for the day.

"fit bit 1904 calories, 5.70 miles, 13655 steps, 5 flights of stairs"

Is that good? I didn't go to the gym.

Anyone else got this? How is it going?

Replies

• erinnm
    erinnm Posts: 11 Member
    thats alot of steps! great job!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member

Fantastic amount of steps! Just realize that the 1904 calories burned INCLUDES what your body would normally burn even without the steps. It is not an ADDITIONAL amount of calories that you can eat. It is probably about an additional 275 - 300 calories depending on your age and weight.

Congratulations on getting your Fitbit...it is the best little motivator there is. I have worn mine everyday since last May, I love it. You have started off very strong...keep it up!

Cheers, Carole
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    I cleaned up the house for an hour this morning, ran after two kids and a dog, on conference calls at work (talked on phone while walking), sat at desk and reconcilled accounts for 2 hours, then back up to running after kids this afternoon. I took my little guy for a walk around the neighborhood. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member

Fantastic amount of steps! Just realize that the 1904 calories burned INCLUDES what your body would normally burn even without the steps. It is not an ADDITIONAL amount of calories that you can eat. It is probably about an additional 275 - 300 calories depending on your age and weight.

Congratulations on getting your Fitbit...it is the best little motivator there is. I have worn mine everyday since last May, I love it. You have started off very strong...keep it up!

Cheers, Carole
    If you link it to MFP, it will calculate how many extra calories yhat gives you. It will depend on what your MFP activity setting is. I find I need about 5000 steps to use upmsedentaryband after that in given e tra calories to eat.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    I have to figure out how to link it to mfp . . . .
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Go to the blue help link on this page. It will tell you what to do and all the information you need.
  • pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 55 Member
    Once you've bought the Fitbit - is there a monthly or annual charge for using it?
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    That's a lot of steps! So yes that's very good. Like someone else said, keep in mind the calories burned is BMR plus exercise you've gotten.

*I'd like to recommend that you click on settings at the top of this page, go to app settings, and check the box that says "allow negative adjustments." This means if you have a really sedentary day, calories will automatically be subtracted from what MFP says you have remaining. I've found this to really help stay on track with weight loss goals. But it's totally optional, that's just my recommendation :)
  • pamperedbecky
    pamperedbecky Posts: 14 Member
    Not for FitBit. BOdyMedia and BodyBugg have a monthly fee once you use the free months included. But I've heard BodyMedia is the most accurate so I'm so torn which to get!!

I guess whatever gets us moving more is the most important......that's what I think either one will do for me.