How to incorporate nuts

Options
I have good cholesterol, but low HDL (the good kind). I've been told by my doctor several times to eat more healthy fats like nuts, avocado, fish, etc. But here's my problem: I don't like avocado no matter how many times I try it or different ways I eat it. I also don't like nuts unless they're covered in chocolate and even then its hard for me to handle. Fish is OK, but I try to limit my fish to responsibly-farmed and low-risk of mercury and other chemicals. Since I live in the midwest, getting good fish that isn't factory farmed is hard.

So --- any tips? How do you incorporate nuts & other healthy-fat foods in your diet?

Replies

• kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle nuts on my oatmeal in the morning. Or add them to salads. you could also try almond milk. Or make a cashew alfredo sauce that tastes so divine on pasta or over veggies! MMMMM!
    The good news is a single serving of nuts/healthy fats is pretty small, so since you don't enjoy them that much you can sneak them in and get it over with pretty easily.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    incorporate nuts at your own risk. nothing's more frightening than crazy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    You can take fish oil in capsule or liquid form. How about tuna? I don't know if there is any good way to fish for commercially caught fish - but it is good not to deplete the ecosystem of any one fish. Farmed fish is causing all kinds of damage to wild fish due to pathogens, so there really aren't any responsible fish farms. Wild Tuna is still fairly abundant - so is Salmon; but of course any large fish is going to have mercury, so you just don't eat it every day. All food has something not-so-good for you, or not so good for the planet. That's why a wide variety of foods is your best bet.

Try olive oil, it is the good kind of fat....sesame oil is good in stir fry. Sunflower seeds.

• horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I just had a bowl of plain yogurt with a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of slivered almonds. Yum!

And kudos to you for responsible fish eating. I feel like it's a topic that few people know and/or care about.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You can grind nuts and use them as flour, or mix them with some regular flour for baking or pancakes.
    Chop small and add to salads.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i love nuts and eat them all the time mostly almonds i eat them on the fly when im in the car most the time or sometimes i put slivered almonds on a salad or as a treat wtih nonfat plain greek yogurt , frozen dark cherries and slivered almonds
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Put into a food processor and grind until very fine, heat some almond milk on the stove and combine for a breakfast cereal.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    By the handful! No, I replaced chips and such with nuts, seeds and raisins.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I put cashews on my salad. Best part of my lunch, Ken's Asian sesame dressing.