On Resolutionists

Options

Replies

• MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    "Fatties don't come here. You're taking up space for us pretty girls to find men."

Wow, No words.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Learn not to give a **** about what other people think or say. Problem solved
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy for the newbies! Particularly the larger ones! There is a fairly large man that has joined my gym and I've seen him twice, I never said anything to him but I felt proud for him for returning! I look out for him now to see if he is keeping it up. Go him! :)

YAY! People like you are the reason people fall in love with their gym. Thank you!.

No need to thank me! I'll support anyone who works their butt off to achieve personal happiness. Just keep going! :happy:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think just maybe, that people spend far too much time worrying about what other people think about them. The chances are they haven't even noticed you, much less judging you and resenting your presence in the gym. It's a minor inconvienience when the gym is full, but in my experience there's no laughing at the newbies or judging going on. I think perhaps people are judging the regulars attitudes rather than the regulars judging the newbies.

I'd agree with this 95% of the time. But, as I said, I have been laughed at directly in my face a few times with one girl even telling me, "Fatties don't come here. You're taking up space for us pretty girls to find men." Disgusting and rare but it DOES happen. Oh and before I get the typical "I asked for it" response. I was riding one of the many stationary bikes, minding my own business with plenty of machines open for her and her couple of friends. I finished my workout without a word or glance at her but it did sting.

what the hell...
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So true. I did the exact opposite, I'm sure this time of year the gym memberships are through the roof, well I called last week to cancel my gym membership (they probably didn't see that coming). I know, I know it seems a bit silly, but over the year I barely went and when I did I didn't enjoy myself. So I pretty much flushed money down the toilet. I figure what I can do at the gym I can do for free at home, ie walk the dog, take the stairs in my apartment building, start using my EA sports active so on and so forth.

Now on another note I read somewhere that there is a gym, I think either in BC or AB, and the only qualification to join is to be in the plus sizes. I looked to see if there was anything like that here, but no luck because I think I would join such a gym.
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think just maybe, that people spend far too much time worrying about what other people think about them. The chances are they haven't even noticed you, much less judging you and resenting your presence in the gym. It's a minor inconvienience when the gym is full, but in my experience there's no laughing at the newbies or judging going on. I think perhaps people are judging the regulars attitudes rather than the regulars judging the newbies.

I'd agree with this 95% of the time. But, as I said, I have been laughed at directly in my face a few times with one girl even telling me, "Fatties don't come here. You're taking up space for us pretty girls to find men." Disgusting and rare but it DOES happen. Oh and before I get the typical "I asked for it" response. I was riding one of the many stationary bikes, minding my own business with plenty of machines open for her and her couple of friends. I finished my workout without a word or glance at her but it did sting.

what the hell...

"Fatties don't come here..." I would of replied "Do you want to know what fatties do to skinny little b!tch twigs? We snap them in half" I hope you complained to the gym office, one thing gyms always say is that it's a place to make everyone feel comfortable no matter of size and fitness level. Everyone has to start somewhere.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

That's truly unbelievable. What a horrible nasty piece of s*it that girl was. You know what I'd of done in that situation? I would of taken that comment and used it as the best motivation ever. Id I'd made sure I used that gym every single day, just for the pleasure of pissing her off then watch her eat her words as you lost the weight and looked fantastic! What a horrible person!!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've not heard that from anyone at my gym but then, I don't give a rats furry output port what anyone thinks or says. I go in, do my thing, chat with the desk folks now and again about something, get some training advice now and again and leave happy as a clam in sauce.
  • SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I am truely sorry you had to listen to that. But, that is not normal. 99% of the population would agree that she is the one with the issue, and not you. People like that are just dumb, and not worth a response. She will get hers one day...it is called Karma!!!
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Jesus it must have been really hard not to sock that ***** clean in the face. Ignore anyone that they are not worth it. The thing with people like that is I bet in 20 Yrs time you will be happy and meeting your goals and she will doing the same **** and miserable as hell.

For what its worth im sorry you had to experience that, If i saw that happen in my gym I would jump down there throat and tell them to get the hell out lol
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that so many complain about newbs at "MY gym". It's not YOUR gym. It's the gym you pay to frequent, as do the newbies. If you don't like sharing a machine or walking a little further in the parking lot, buy your own equipment and make a home gym. Then it will be "MY gym" and you don't have to deal with it. It always amazes me how people lay claim to things that were never theirs to begin with. Just because you use a public service more often then someone else does not make it yours. The road I travel to work is not MINE simply because I drive on it.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was a resolutionist last year. I remember being on the Ellipticals and someone came over to talk to the guy next to me and he may or may not have thought I could hear him over my headphones.

He told his buddy that he couldn't wait for all the "fakers" taking up his gym to be gone by February. Well it's a year later, I'm still there, I got 346 days of 30+ minutes of exercise last year 280 of which happened at that gym according to foursquare (the rest I was running outside). I haven't seen him or his buddy since.

I'm in excellent shape and they are jerkfaces. Phhhhhbpt :tongue:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Sometimes humans are *kitten*. Only thing you can do is try to stay positive and ignore it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    amen! it's the single biggest reason i will NEVER join another gym as long as i live.. gym snobs

sorry... holier than thou gym snobs

Well, that'll show 'em....

Seriously?

I was a lot heavier than I am now, when I started going to gym. I've only ever experienced pleasant and encouraging treatment there. I wouldn't take a thread like the one the OP refers to as evidence of anything other than a few people being frustrated with overcrowded gyms. You might also want to read the many responses on that thread from regular gym goers saying they were always happy to see new people, etc etc. It's possible some of the presumed hostility is in people's heads - it's their anxiety - rather than out there in the real world.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...the single biggest reason i will NEVER join another gym as long as i live...

Nonsense! That's the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not going to the gym. I've been a member of several gyms over my lifetime (which means I've been new to a gym several times, too). I've never had anyone say anything or do anything to make me feel unwelcome because I was a NEW PERSON! And who cares what someone is THINKING to themselves?! There are going to be times in life (both inside and outside of a gym setting) when strangers look at you and think bad thoughts. Are you going to hide in a hole for your entire life?

Ignore people on the Internet who say things that bother you. Don't let other people's opinions control your life. Go to the gym and work out. If you're a "resolutionist" then they can say "I told you so" when you drop out next week. If you are in it for the long haul, then you'll be proving them wrong. Either way, who cares? Just do your thing. :drinker:
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options

Jesus it must have been really hard not to sock that ***** clean in the face. Ignore anyone that they are not worth it. The thing with people like that is I bet in 20 Yrs time you will be happy and meeting your goals and she will doing the same **** and miserable as hell.

For what its worth im sorry you had to experience that, If i saw that happen in my gym I would jump down there throat and tell them to get the hell out lol

It was very hard every time something like that happened, but I just made it motivate me more. I wouldn't ignore it if I saw it happen to someone either, but I have seen a shift in the attitudes of people at the gym. Thank goodness for nice people, they make up for the small groups of idiots that roam the world lol
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I feel the judgment when I walk into the gym, every single time. I use a university gym where most of the girls there only show up to pretend to work out and look cute in little clothing, and when I walk in wearing sweats I get looked up and down at least once a day! I'm there to lose weight, not show off... maybe that's the problem? Last week I sat down at a rowing machine next to a skinny minnie... she was rowing with poor form on the lowest setting. Yet she still snickered at me when I started rowing, correctly, on the highest setting, because I was moving more slowly than she was. I think I had a better burn in the end,

Sorry you feel that way- but glad to see you are leading by example and not judging or labeling others.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Everyone was new at one time. But the truth is lots of people start then stop. I don't judge, heck I don't even belong to a gym. If I did I would hope I would not be judged when attending. Perhaps instead of New Years Eve maybe wait until St. Pattys day?
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    People are so desperate to feel good about themselves they'll come up with any stupid reason to pretend to be better than others. Resolutionist hate is one of them.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That thread has motivated me to make the silliest calendar with a photographer friend of mine. I'm going to take the 12 most ridiculous complaints on that thread and another one about what people hate at the gym and show how dumb it is to complain about and worry about others. It will be epic and hilarious!