Calorie consumption and weight loss

Options
Hello everyone!! I need something "cleared" up, if you can help that would be great. I have read a couple of things that are conflicting on calorie consumtion and weight loss. Is it always good to be under your calorie intake? I am allowed 1200 calories a day with out exercising. Let's just say after exercising, MFP allows me an extra 500 calories. For me to lose weight, should I eat the full 1700 calories or stay at the 1200 calorie mark?

Replies

• chachay18
    Options
    I found this of MFP, maybe it will help....

As I have hinted to throughout this summary of metabolic process, the body has a "range" in which it feels it is receiving the right amount of fuel. The range (as most doctors and research scientists agree) is somewhere between 500 calories above your maintenance calories and 1000 calories below your maintenance calories. This means that the metabolism won't drastically change it's functionality in this range, with that said, this is not exact, it is a range based on averages, you may have a larger or smaller range based on the 3 factors of metabolism stated at the top.
    On our website (MyFitnessPal), when you enter your goals, there is a prebuilt deficit designed to keep you in the "normal" metabolic functionality while still burning more calories then you take in. This goal DOES NOT INCLUDE exercise until you enter it. If you enter exercise into your daily plan, the site automatically adjusts your total caloric needs to stay within that normal range (in other words, just put your exercise in, don't worry about doing any additional calculations). Not eating exercise calories can bring you outside that range and (if done over an extended period of days or weeks) will gradually send your body into survival mode, making it harder (but not impossible) to continue to lose weight. The important thing to understand is (and this is REALLY important) the closer you are to your overall healthy weight (again, your metabolism views this a a range, not a specific number) the more prominant the survival mode becomes (remember, we talked about efficiency). This is because as fat becomes scarce, muscle is easier to break down and transport. And thus, the reason why it's harder to lose that "Last 10 pounds".
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    It's a loaded question, but here's how I understand it... MFP puts you at a deficit when you sign up. If you eat 1700 cals, and burn 500, it's like you only ate 1200. So, in theory, you need to be eating calories back to stay above that 1200 net calorie base line.
  • moorewazup
    moorewazup Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what a Dr would say but... I try to always stay at the 1200 calorie mark no matter how much exercise I get in for the day. I figure when I reach my goal weight I can then eat my new totals for the day after exercise. It has worked for me so far. Good luck with your weight loss goals.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I believe you are supposed to eat the 1200 and the extra they give is towards weight loss. You are able to eat the extra 500 without gaining any weight but it will not help in LOSING the weight. Make sense?

For MFP, it's the opposite of this and the topic is discussed everyday. It's encouraged here to eat the calories back from exercising. Think of it this way: If the OP eats 1200 and burns 500, then the net calories is only 700 per day, which will eventually put them at a plateau and it's not getting enough calories in. Some will say it's starvation mode, etc.

Anyway, I try to eat back about half my allotted calories because in my opinion, without having a heart rate monitor for accuracy, I think exercise is grossly overestimated. Also, the machines at the gym are also grossly overestimating how many calories you burn. Your mileage on this topic will vary.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I totally agree 100% with "healthy_is_best"! Very well said!