Options

Replies

• Barracuda365
    Options
    bookmakr as my wife has fybro
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm having a bad weekend. Having a major flare up and not been able to control it yet with medication. Been working out for the last 5-6 months and have been fine but struggling right now. Can't do anything. I know that this flare will pass in a week or two but hate being in the midst of it.

I'm amazed at the different ways that this condition affects people and their lives.

Does it get worse or just controllable?

How has it affected you all and how do you manage it?
  • shreck05
    Options
    I'm having a bad weekend. Having a major flare up and not been able to control it yet with medication. Been working out for the last 5-6 months and have been fine but struggling right now. Can't do anything. I know that this flare will pass in a week or two but hate being in the midst of it.

I'm amazed at the different ways that this condition affects people and their lives.

I seemed to be doing well with very little pain over the summer months but once my children started back to school the stress of all the homework and sports started to kick up my pain level. Then as the colder months came I became knocked down for days. My pain has been very persistent. I keep telling my husband we need to move to a warmer climate. =}
  • mustex
    mustex Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, I have FM,Trigeminal Neuralgia, and IBS, I was exercising and feeling great up til July 2012 when I had another stroke like episode. My arthritis doc feels I was exercising too much and now I am not up to doing any because of the constant pain from one or the other. I have not gained any weight, but my diet is poor. I would love to loose the weight I have been striving for over the last several years. I no longer can work due to the pain. I am looking forward to communicating with you guys for tips on proper foods to eat and support from others that are going through the same thing.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't have this condition but my family members do as well as IBS and diverticulitis . I have suffered from 11 years of chronic neck pain Soo bad I had to wear a neck brace for years while I was sleeping to stop the uncontrollable muscle spasms.I thought i'd tried everything before this. Any way we changed our diets to primal/paleo with AMAZING results.

FODMAP diet still contains grains/wheat and artificial sugars. Which still cause inflammation which in turn causes more pain. Also FODMAP is low fat and high carbs. Where as primal/paleo is low carb, high fats (good fats) so your body burns fats instead of carbs... (low fat/ high carbs... burns carbs, not fats) .

So you lose weight and become pain free ...its a win win... plus there is plenty of info on the web about people with fibro IBS, and so many other health problems changing their diets to primal/paleo saying the same thing.

It changed my life so I wanna let others know and maybe help them.xx
  • Vawny1818
    Options
    I looked at that too and there isn't a lot of conversation. I'll go over and join that group too!
  • Vawny1818
    Options

I seemed to be doing well with very little pain over the summer months but once my children started back to school the stress of all the homework and sports started to kick up my pain level. Then as the colder months came I became knocked down for days. My pain has been very persistent. I keep telling my husband we need to move to a warmer climate. =}
  • Vawny1818
    Options
    The cold and recent damp weather here in WI really breaks havoc on my pain. I don't eat any aspartame or artificial sweeteners, not good. I've been toying with the idea of going gluten free for a couple weeks..reading up on that. One thing at a time.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't have this condition but my family members do as well as IBS and diverticulitis . I have suffered from 11 years of chronic neck pain Soo bad I had to wear a neck brace for years while I was sleeping to stop the uncontrollable muscle spasms.I thought i'd tried everything before this. Any way we changed our diets to primal/paleo with AMAZING results.

FODMAP diet still contains grains/wheat and artificial sugars. Which still cause inflammation which in turn causes more pain. Also FODMAP is low fat and high carbs. Where as primal/paleo is low carb, high fats (good fats) so your body burns fats instead of carbs... (low fat/ high carbs... burns carbs, not fats) .

So you lose weight and become pain free ...its a win win... plus there is plenty of info on the web about people with fibro IBS, and so many other health problems changing their diets to primal/paleo saying the same thing.

It changed my life so I wanna let others know and maybe help them.xx

Yay! I do have this condition and I have ME. I really believe that Paleo is helping me. Low carb helps the pain massively too.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Very interesting points here y'all!
    I have fibromyalgia along with being spinabifida so am disabled. I definitely find that if I get stressed it makes my pain much worse. Also suffer with a whole mound of other things... diverticulitis, high blood pressure, diabetes 2, underactive thyroid, sleep apnea and IBS! I still consider myself to be quite fortunate as at least living in the uk we do have the NHS... a blessing in itself.
    But I do understand what it is like to continually suffer from any malady....:flowerforyou:
  • mvdiz
    mvdiz Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey everyone! I have FM too. I slowly lost about 20 lbs, then joined Weight Watchers last year and saw another 30 come off. I have about 30 more to go. Fibro makes it tough, but I do find that eating right (for me, that means a low grain pescetarian diet) and exercising really helps. It can be super frustrating, because I'll be doing well, working out, and eating right, and then a flare up takes me back to square one. I'm also finding that the more weight I lose the better I feel.
  • shreck05
    Options
    The cold and recent damp weather here in WI really breaks havoc on my pain. I don't eat any aspartame or artificial sweeteners, not good. I've been toying with the idea of going gluten free for a couple weeks..reading up on that. One thing at a time.

This is one of my problem areas, aspartame and artificial sweeteners. I'm addicted to diet soda and I use artificial sweetener in my hot tea or iced tea. I have cut back on my soda because I have noticed that when I do over indulge with it my headaches become worse. I have recently increased my water intake. I need the flavoring but adding plain lemon isn't working for me. I'm trying but my steps are small. I'm open to all suggestions. I can't guarantee I will be able to do them as I am a very weak person right now. I'm trying to get strong again as I once was. Thank you for the support. I need it!! :heart:
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options

This is one of my problem areas, aspartame and artificial sweeteners. I'm addicted to diet soda and I use artificial sweetener in my hot tea or iced tea. I have cut back on my soda because I have noticed that when I do over indulge with it my headaches become worse. I have recently increased my water intake. I need the flavoring but adding plain lemon isn't working for me. I'm trying but my steps are small. I'm open to all suggestions. I can't guarantee I will be able to do them as I am a very weak person right now. I'm trying to get strong again as I once was. Thank you for the support. I need it!! :heart:

Gosh...I wouldn't touch aspartame with a barge pole!!
    As I have often posted on various forums that I watched the documentary on the studies of trials done on this particular sweetener which showed that they were totally falsified. Rats that were used would die but they would just put in another one in it's place and continue as if nothing had happened! I was soo convinced after that showing that it would not be allowed to go on sale but the very next week ..there it was on the shelves of the supermarkets!!!
  • shreck05
    Options

Gosh...I wouldn't touch aspartame with a barge pole!!
    As I have often posted on various forums that I watched the documentary on the studies of trials done on this particular sweetener which showed that they were totally falsified. Rats that were used would die but they would just put in another one in it's place and continue as if nothing had happened! I was soo convinced after that showing that it would not be allowed to go on sale but the very next week ..there it was on the shelves of the supermarkets!!!

Really??? I've never seen or heard that. I wish I could see the documentary. I've heard negative side affects but not where rats would die from using it. FDA shouldn't be selling it or using the product in other products if it was true. I need to do some research. Thanks for bringing it to my attention more closely. :happy:
  • Nana920
    Nana920 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I too have fibromyalgia, along with chronic migraines, fatigue, IBS, and
    degenerative disk disease in my neck.
    The best exercise I have found for me is walking.
  • shreck05
    Options
    Question?? Does anyone take magnesium supplements for FM? My mom bought me a bottle today. She has been told it is good for our condition. I took my first pill today hoping to make a difference on how I feel. I have been feeling rough these past couple days. The pain level is extremely high. I don't know if its the weather we are having here in PA or what. I've been watching my diet as far as the artifical sweetners. Baby steps. :drinker: Wishing everyone a feel good day.
  • jdoerr1967
    jdoerr1967 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have FM and would love to have some additional friends/support if you would like to join me!
  • jdoerr1967
    jdoerr1967 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have FM and would love to have some additional friends/support if you would like to join me!
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have FM also, feel free to add if you like.
  • tracyann5891004
    Options
    Hello all. Just joined today after needing some motivation. So nice to see lots of FM sufferers with a posiitve attitude. I have FM and ME and find it hard to find the energy to exercise after a day at work and a load of kids to contend with. Not going to let it beat me though so good luck everyone x