Need help with a gift idea for a first date

Options
m8605
m8605 Posts: 102
I'm taking this girl to the local symphony saturday night and we're getting dinner before hand. If I gave her a flower of some sorts, like a single rose perhaps, would it be ok in my/her car for a few hours until she was able to put it in a vase? I guess another question would be, if by chance she doesn't have a spare vase, are there maybe small vases for such an occasion? My initial idea was to simply draw her a rose so that she could keep it forever... unfortunately I can't draw.

Edit: just realizing its been a while since I've been on a first date...

Replies

• rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Single flowers often come with a little capsule of water (kind of like a mini-vase), so as long as it's upright in the vehicle, it should be fine! Does she like chocolate? I think a rose is more romantic but chocolate might sit in the car better (as long as it's not hot)
  • m8605
    Options
    Single flowers often come with a little capsule of water (kind of like a mini-vase), so as long as it's upright in the vehicle, it should be fine! Does she like chocolate? I think a rose is more romantic but chocolate might sit in the car better (as long as it's not hot)

Thats awesome, cheers.

I dunno about the chocolate, we just met today. (The symphony wasn't for another month and I really wanted to go with someone lol)
  • elleru
    elleru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lovely sentiment, but very unnecessary for a first date. If you have a good time, send her a bouquet after the fact to indicate you'd like a to see her again.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    yes a flower should last i have done this on a few dates i have had.through in a teddy bear or some kind of stuff animal but syay away from hearts it seems to scare them
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Lovely sentiment, but very unnecessary for a first date. If you have a good time, send her a bouquet after the fact to indicate you'd like a to see her again.

Agreed. I would save the single rose for the second date because it is a very cute idea :)
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Definitely nothing on the first date unless you have been talking for a long time. If she goes for a second, the rose is a great idea!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options

^^ agreed.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Agreed. I would save the single rose for the second date because it is a very cute idea :)

Agreed with this. A gift for the first date is nice and everything but if it was me I'd feel uncomfortable and kind of obligated to stay if I wasn't enjoying myself. If she agrees to a 2nd is the time to think about a smal gift imo.
  • sedentarygeek
    sedentarygeek Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Agreed ^
    I believe if a date goes well then perhaps afterwards send her a rose or flowers of some sort.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't do it for the first date. Just don't, just insist on paying for everything and hold doors open as appropriate.
  • m8605
    Options
    So to much?

This would be a first date in say 10 years...so i don't know lol
  • jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I agree as well..I never expect a gift on a first date. Good luck!!
  • fallenoaks
    Options
    Yep, too much. Paying for dinner and symphony tickets is plenty for a first date. Personally, I would be uncomfortable with even that much and would likely offer to pay for dinner myself.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    So to much?

This would be a first date in say 10 years...so i don't know lol

Just go and be a gentlemen. If you would like to buy her dinner (since you said you were going) or the tickets to the symphony I am sure she would love that. But I would save any other gifts for a later date.
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yep, too much. Paying for dinner and symphony tickets is plenty for a first date. Personally, I would be uncomfortable with even that much and would likely offer to pay for dinner myself.
    That would be great, kind of nice to be surprised with the date saying, "thanks for the tickets, I have dinner!" I would be greatly impressed!

Thumbs up!
  • vickidiane13
    vickidiane13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with most of the others, no gift needed for a first date. However, if you have wonderful time and can tell she did too, then I think sending her flowers with a note letting her know you enjoyed the evening with her a day or so after your date would really make her feel special.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    rose, but with no wrappings (i hate wrappings). it doesn't matter that it will sit in the car. trust me :) if you get her something bigger it might scare her away
  • m8605
    Options
    Ok, cheers all

edit: and symphony tickets are only $5 for us, $24 for cheap seats...so i told her i would buy her dinner
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Tiffany's...

obviously
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    My last first date brought me a single rose....it was the first time that had happened in awhile. Normally I wouldn't have cared for it, but it fit the evening and the mood perfectly. Go with your gut. If you feel a single rose is the way to go, do it.

FYI - The rose I received did not have the capsule and it not only lasted through the night, but it lasted in my vase at home for over a week. I didn't have a slim vase, but it looked beautiful on my counter and was a nice reminder of that evening.