I'm doing everything right and not losing. help!

Options
I am so freaking frustrated. I am eating my recommended calories (1750) and eating healthy!! I am vegan, I eat processed food maybe once a week, I drink a ton of water, i take vitamins. I have my calorie count set to sedentary, but I still workout 3 times a week (Tennis for an hour and a half).

With all of that I can't lose any freaking weight!! The scale will jump down 4 pounds one day, then back up 4 pounds the following week. I have been eating like this for about a month now and have only lost 1 pound. 1. I know I should take what I can get but I am so frustrated.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Could it be medical? Any input would be wonderful.

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    ..... how brutally honest do you want us to be?

Your diary was unlocked, to I took a look. You mentioned in your original post you eat processed foods once a week, and just from a quick glance through a couple pages, that doesn't appear to be the case. Please don't misunderstand, I don't think processed food are inherently evil, but I wonder if maybe some of your perceptions about your intake might be skewed. Lots of people are going to have opinions on what you might try, so before that starts, again I ask... how honest do you want it?

With best of intentions, I'll wait to hear your response then give you my best guess and suggestions.
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of calories if you're trying to lose weight. You say you don't eat processed foods, but you do. Anything that is made commercially (like restaurant or store bought) is processed. You don't have any control over what is in it. Unless you are six feet tall, I don't understand why your calorie count is set so high. Maybe you should recalculate your weight loss goals. Try upping your vegetable intake and lowering your carb intake. As the person before me said, you're going to get lots and lots of advice.
  • 30kgtoloose
    Options
    Hi
    I just wanted to say I like both of your MFP motivator pics for weight loss :flowerforyou:
    Sharlene
  • derpina88
    derpina88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like 90 percent of the bands in my diary aren't correct. I just try to find an average calorie count and use that one. I get too lazy to put most things in my recipe section and I do most of my shopping for pre-made things at the local farmers market here in Sn Diego. The Hummus being the best example I can think of off hand. I HATE supermarket hummus. But the homemade hummus I buy at the farmers market isn't in the MFP database.
  • nicolegonnella
    Options
    I didn't look at your diary, but if you're eating a lot of starch, it might slow down your weight loss. Like corn, peas, carrots, potatos and bread. If you're eating those items, think about switching to broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like 90 percent of the bands in my diary aren't correct. I just try to find an average calorie count and use that one. I get too lazy to put most things in my recipe section and I do most of my shopping for pre-made things at the local farmers market here in Sn Diego. The Hummus being the best example I can think of off hand. I HATE supermarket hummus. But the homemade hummus I buy at the farmers market isn't in the MFP database.

If you are just finding an "average calorie count" then perhaps you are misjudging the calories of things. Until I got a food scale I always though my apple (medium) was 80 calories. I learned that it was more around 135 depending on the weight. Now that isn't a huge difference at all, but it can all add up if you are guesstimating everything.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    let's start with the basics....

height, weight, age, BF%, BMR, TDEE, etc..

re-run all of your numbers and make sure your numbers are correct and that your daily calorie goal is truly at a deficit and not maintenance. keep in mind, if you're only at a 100 calorie deficit, that's less than 1 lb per month.

i think the answer may be in trying to confirm the accuracy of your numbers.

also, check out the information in the Eat, Train, Progress group. i believe there's a thread or 2 in there that can help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

if the numbers are correct, then we next look at the accuracy of your logging.
  • derpina88
    Options
    I set it for MFP's lose a pound a week. do you think I should lower it? I had it at 1200 once upon a time but that was just too low. I was always miserable. but 1750 does feel quite roomy! I just blindly trusted MFP... but maybe 1500? do you think that would make a difference?

I'm no where near 6 feet!! 5'8"
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Unless you are six feet tall, I don't understand why your calorie count is set so high. Maybe you should recalculate your weight loss goals.

I am 5'4 and weigh 147-151 (I was up with water weight my last weigh in so not quite sure where I am right now) and my TDEE is roughly 2500. (not including working out) I was eating 1500 but JUST bumped it up to 1800 today. Obviously I can't say how that's going to work as it's only been a day but with a TDEE of 2500, 1800 calories should easily allow me to lose weight.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep. You need to use the actual brands where possible and weigh and measure portions. Avoid restaurants when possible, unless they're cookie-cutter style with calorie counts available. I had a Beef Dip sandwich at a restaurant the other day. I estimated 600 calories or so. But the listings show everything from about 400-1200. Know what you're eating. It's absolutely vital.
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I personally think your portion sizes are way too big.
  • derpina88
    Options

If you are just finding an "average calorie count" then perhaps you are misjudging the calories of things. Until I got a food scale I always though my apple (medium) was 80 calories. I learned that it was more around 135 depending on the weight. Now that isn't a huge difference at all, but it can all add up if you are guesstimating everything.

Uck. I think I was afraid of this answer. I am always a weight nazi with my food for like 3 days and then I get lazy. I better dust off my scale again.

BTW, I love your Starbuck pic!!

So say we all.
  • sheilapie
    sheilapie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    do you have any issues with sodium?? i know my husband is vegan, and when he eats salty things, his weight goes up a few pounds daily. same for me, but im not a vegan... i just look at salt, eat one stupid pickle, and the next morning i am up 5 pounds on the scale. also, if your photo is you right now, i dont personally think you need to lose weight!! you might be right where your body wants you to be!!
  • derpina88
    Options
    do you have any issues with sodium?? i know my husband is vegan, and when he eats salty things, his weight goes up a few pounds daily. same for me, but im not a vegan... i just look at salt, eat one stupid pickle, and the next morning i am up 5 pounds on the scale. also, if your photo is you right now, i dont personally think you need to lose weight!! you might be right where your body wants you to be!!

Hmmmmm. I never thought about sodium really. Perhaps I will cut it down for a week or 2 and see what happens. But I do love my salt!!

Thanks for the compliment but that picture is about 10 pounds ago. I haven't had the heart to take a more recent one!! Even so I'm still about 50 pounds above what is considered healthy for my size.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Don't forget to rely on your measurements more than your weight!
    But I agree that you shouldn't rely on MFP's calorie count as being gospel.
    If you do, you might be overeating and not reaching the correct deficit for proper weight loss.
    Definitely play around with your diet, as well.
    I don't know if you're vegan for moral reasons or what have you, but my body reacted poorly to that kind of diet, especially to eating too much soy. I then switched to cutting out most added sugars, am eating more fatty meat, I greatly lessened empty carb intake and have lost body fat and inches.
    Bodies react differently to different foods.
    If you stay on a vegan diet, definitely make sure you're getting all of the vitamins and protein you need, and don't rely heavily on packaged soy products.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you losing inches or clothing sizes? if so then it might just be an issue of water retention.
    there were 3 months where my weight stayed completely the same but i lost 3 jean sizes.
  • derpina88
    Options
    Don't forget to rely on your measurements more than your weight!
    But I agree that you shouldn't rely on MFP's calorie count as being gospel.
    If you do, you might be overeating and not reaching the correct deficit for proper weight loss.
    Definitely play around with your diet, as well.
    I don't know if you're vegan for moral reasons or what have you, but my body reacted poorly to that kind of diet, especially to eating too much soy. I then switched to cutting out most added sugars, am eating more fatty meat, I greatly lessened empty carb intake and have lost body fat and inches.
    Bodies react differently to different foods.
    If you stay on a vegan diet, definitely make sure you're getting all of the vitamins and protein you need, and don't rely heavily on packaged soy products.

Thanks. I think I'm going to adjust my calorie intake. I am not vegan for moral reasons. I just don't really like meat and cant eat dairy anyways so its kind of by default. You are right about the soy products. I try to watch out for them but It can be tough. It helps that i don't like tofu!! yuck!
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Thanks. I think I'm going to adjust my calorie intake. I am not vegan for moral reasons. I just don't really like meat and cant eat dairy anyways so its kind of by default. You are right about the soy products. I try to watch out for them but It can be tough. It helps that i don't like tofu!! yuck!

I suppose I should explain that I'm a bit restrictive on what meat I eat. Chicken and salmon are the main ones, and I've integrated more beef in the past few months, but I avoid pork and most shellfish. I do not use dairy products either, save for occasional cream cheese in a few dishes. While I chose fattier cuts of meat, the portions are controlled and much of the meal is dedicated to peppers, cucumber, reg. and green onion, garlic, etc.

I haven't tried any personally due to lack of funds, but you can find vegan protein powder that is completely soy free online. If you have the money, it could be a great option for getting that extra dietary kick :)

edit: also use quinoa! great protein source!
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Many of the people above are on point 1750 is a high calorie intake, and two increasing your protein and decreasing carbs will make a big difference on the scale. Another thing Tennis sounds like great cardio, but make sure your doing some strength training along with that also(try 2x-3x a week). You seem to be mostly on track for the most part though:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Let's just say putting in the incorrect calorie counts for foods you don't have the calorie count for will cause a discrepancy. If you're not losing, it's because something may be off about how you're counting calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition