Low Carb Ketoers! Looking for like minded friends!

Options
So I have been using MFP for about 10 days now (can't believe it has been that long feels like only 2 days) while being on a low carb keto diet. Looking to make some new friends to share meal ideas and for motivation. Add me if you are also doing low carbs. I am trying to stay under 15g of carbs for now, going to lower that and add in exercise once i get used to the food habits.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to eat this way the rest of your life? If not, then it's a quick fix. Regain for low carbers is usually quite high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    good grief! :noway: why put yourself through that?
    i spill more than 15g of carbs on my shirt through the course of the day.
  • Malcah1
    Malcah1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I understand your need to start your carbs so low. Starting low is only the beginning of he road. I've been LCHF for 90 days and I've loss 26 lbs. it's been challenging but coupled with renewing my mind, cardio, weight training, and MFB; it's been successful. You can do it to!
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I belong to a low carb group & you are welcome to go to the groups & join. I don't do that low on carbs, my doctor asked me to stay under 100 to control tryclerides. You will find others that are lower than I am but not too many try to maintain that low. On the 100, I can still get in several servings of vegetables and a couple of fruit as well as some whole grains. For me this is a much healthier approach.
  • trey4cubs
    Options
    ive lost over 40 lbs since june (over 30lbs of that is documented on MFP) on a primal diet and i couldn't be happier.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for 50 days now and have been holding myself under 30g a day with very good results. 15g is at the extreme low end - why that low? You planning to have a ketogenic diet? There are several groups on here for low carb or ketogenic diets. There is plenty of evidence, studies, and science to support the low-carb approach. You will have plenty of low-carb company on MFP.
  • iyabean
    iyabean Posts: 30
    Options
    Under 15g net carbs is really low, and I've been doing keto since June! I'd say 20-30g is fine (that's how much I eat myself) for steady weight loss, not to mention a lot more sustainable. I LOVE veggies (especially broccoli)! That's ideally where you should be getting most of your carbs from. Keto is only as successful as your willingness to stick to it; naysayers who say low-carb diets "don't work" because people regain weight AFTER the diet forget to note that those individuals regain weight only because they go back to the eating habits that made them fat in the first place (i.e., excessive sugars and starches). ;) Personally, I plan to transition to a more paleo/primal-esque lifestyle after I reach my goal weight (still relatively low-carb, probably 50-100g at most).
    I've lost a total of 52 lbs. since eating low-carb (29 lbs. due to keto), and I've never been so energetic and happy in my own skin! :)
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Below 15 grams of carbs?? My brussel sprouts at dinner the other night were 11 grams all by themselves ... do you plan to never eat vegetables, let alone any fruit on this plan of yours? While I've seen some unfortunate souls who have had their doctors restrict their carb intake for medical reasons, I have never seen a doctor recommend a number that low (it's just not feasible). I truly hope you begin to incorporate vegetables and fruit into your plan (at the very least!).
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the nay-sayers. I have never heard of a SINGLE study done using low-LOW carb diets (as I call them) that shows that you'll get fat again. I have found studies that say that low-fat dieters tend to gain back the weight. I've also seen studies that show that low-carbers tend to regain less weight than low fat dieters. But after searching high and low, I have not found a study that looks at people with severely restricted carb diets. I, myself, am carb intolerant.

Back when I was in my late 20s, I lost nearly 30 pounds staying under 20 carbs/day an kept that weight off for another 20 years - until a lifestyle change interfered. I did that by losing those 5 - 8 lbs as soon as I gained them. But because I gain weight if I go over 25 carbs/day, it was never a chore.

Back then, I stayed under 16/day. Today I try to stay under 10 carbs (but occasionally go over and don't berate myself for it). But it took me a while to discover that i have to keep that protein up. I now do two, 0-carb protein shakes/day to add 50g protein to the normal intake.

Of course, I'm diligent about vitamins. Water intake is a must when following this diet. Keep that sodium low, but not less than 500. And buy some stool softener. I find that I only have BMs every 3-4 days, so on the third day, do yourself a favor in that respect.

I don't know why so many get excessively worried when talking about no/low carb diets. They appear to never have tried them. I do agree that it isn't for everyone. Some people just LIKE vegetables.

I'll friend you
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've been low carb for almost 7 months and never going back to a high carb lifestyle again. The benefits of low carb definitely outweigh the taste of bread/pasta/rice. When people say "you'll gain it back if you stop" are right but you gain weight back from any diet if you go back to stuffing your face the way you did before. Make this a lifestyle and not a diet and you'll be just fine. As for low-low carbs, don't think there's a difference between eating 10 carbs or 20 carbs in a day, what matters is where the carbs come from..getting them from veggies is ok, getting them from a donut not so much. MFP has some great low carb people here to lean on for advice and recipes etc. Good luck in your journey,.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why not try to stick to the macros you will use for the rest of your life? 50/20/30 or 40/30/30? That is what I am doing. I love carbs WAY too much to give them up, so I am learning to tweak them so that I can enjoy them without worrying about going over board.
  • bascomlodge
    bascomlodge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    People are different in how they handle carbs. I would suggest that people that feel they need to go low carb read the book POTATOES NOT PROZAC, or YOUR LAST DIET both by Kathleen DesMaisons. She talks about the fact that we all need carbs for energy sources and we all benefit from fruit BUT you need to find what carbs you can handle without getting cravings and then detox your body from sugars. It does not have to be an all or none deal.
  • arty79
    arty79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also do about 15 g of carbs a day, it's the only way I lose weight, I was not losing at 20 grams. also, you can count NET carbs which means you subtract the fiber from the total carbs, makes eating tons of veggies work very well within the 15 grams. Don't listen to people who say 15 is too low, you will get to know your own body and metabolism. it does take time, I've been doing this for 65 days, and I am just now figuring out the optimum calories and carbs for my body and weight loss needs. remember that 2 pounds a week is a good rate to lose, lots of people talk about losing much more, but it's more sustainable at a slower rate of loss. Good luck!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Are all of you talking about total or net carbs? I try to stay at 20 net carbs, but I believe the total carb count per day for me would be in the 50's.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That sounds like torture...carbs are your friend! If you are eating the good carbs (fruit, veggies, whole wheat)! I thought low carb diets went out in the 90's...
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Im a low carb ketoer :) I try and stay at about 50g net a day - mostly from veg and nuts. Feel free to add me as a friend. There's a Keto group too - you can find like minded people there.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That sounds like torture...carbs are your friend! If you are eating the good carbs (fruit, veggies, whole wheat)! I thought low carb diets went out in the 90's...

Actually, we're talking about the good healthy carbs that come from vegetables and fruits. The carbs from things like pasta and rice tend to make you feel hungrier sooner. Low carb diets satiate.
  • lirn621
    Options
    I'm a low-carber too. It's the only thing that works for me and makes me feel really healthy. I'm keeping net carbs under 40 or so a day and also keeping under 1200 calories. It's working well. I get my carbs from veggies and nuts mostly. One in a while I'll have an Atkins Bar!