Gym newbie question

Options
I'll keep this short. Or not.

1. Because I am ignorant of proper form and lifting safety, would a local gym where I might get more attention from a trainer be a better choice than Gold's or 24 Hour Fitness? I'm not really looking for fancy and varied equipment since I just want to lift free weights.

2. Do I still need my pushups/pullups/situps/lunges if I'm lifting seriously 3x1 hour a week? Also, should (or could) I cut down on non-serious cardio like walking? I still plan on lots of running in preparation for a marathon.

3. How much should I raise my calorie intake by? I'm currently eating at 1,631 calories + exercise calories. I lost 15 lbs. in 2 1/2 months instead of the 10 lbs. that MFP projected, so I was already considering raising my intake. I will be able to eat at maintenance calories in ~2 months though if I keep up my current progress, so should I wait till then to lift?

4. I'm looking at StrongLifts 5x5 due to time concerns. Is this a good routine to follow for me or is there another alternative?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    this was not short my friend.

1. make sure whatever gym you choose has a power rack or squat racks. it's a shame i even have to say that but many new gyms are being built without racks. it's a crime. you can get a trainer in any gym so don't worry about that. use youtube as your guide for proper form BEFORE you start lifting

2. NO. SL5x5 will be your primary source of strength training. the other stuff will just impede your progress. especially with the running you're doing

3. I dunno, 300 cals? 0 cals? You're just going to have to figure this out thru trial and error like most of did.

4. based on your time concerns and your marathon goals, i'd say stick with SL like you have planned.

5. next time keep it short(er)
  • mwcarew
    mwcarew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Appreciate it, DavPul. I made that post longer than I should have and cut it down to just my questions.

I'd probably prioritize the strength training, so maybe I will cut down on my running some.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you're in the middle of training for a marathon, don't stop. You can do both, especially since you're mostly getting your form down for the next couple of months. I would never suggest you shelve your marathon training.

Oh, and your 4 mile walk per day is fine too. Meant to address that in my original answer