Low resting heart rate

Options
So, my GP/Doc always told me that I have a really low resting heart rate. He said it isn't anything too alarming, but that I shouldn't ever have to worry about having a heart attack.

I am wondering though, could this have an effect on how many calories are burned not only at resting but during work outs?

My heart rate will go within my fat burning zone relatively easily if I do a lot of jumping jacks...but it slows down really fast, at least what I assume is really fast. Like as soon as I quit doing the jumping jacks, my heart rate drops drastically, then is probably my normal in under a minute.

I have a heart rate monitor. Does it take this kind of stuff into consideration for calorie burn?

Because my heart rate is low, and can spike prettyhigh pretty fast, does that mean I am burning more calories than my HRM thinks during that time?

And because my heart rate drops rather quickly, does that mean that I am not burning calories at an extended period of time like a lot of people and studies say that you can do...like, they say, after lifting weights, you burn calories at a such and such higher weight for 24 hours, etc.

I am just wondering if my heart rate being slower than the norm could affect my calories burned.

edit to add: I would like to include, I am pretty out of shape. walking a flight of stairs get's me out of breath, but does not put my heart rate in it's "Fat burning zone"

Replies

• smileyyogini
    Options
    Im not an expert but I have heard thats a really good thing. Thats your heart rate recovery (how fast it goes back down to normal)...its actually a more accurate depiction of your heart health than you resting heart rate.

I have an ok resting heart rate...its 60 when Im sitting. I understand your true resting heartrate is taken after you have laid down and done nothing for half an hour or so. I have never thought of taking my heart rate first thing in the morning. *shrug*

But, I do insanity and my heart is just UP there...180, 184 sometimes. Its crazy. But, within seconds I am back down to my 120s...and after exercise I get back down to the 80s within minute or two. I think its a good thing.

http://www.realage.com/fitness/heart-rate-recovery

Like there...your "real age" is judged to be lower the faster you return to normal. I think you are doing awesome and YAY for the doctor saying that a heart attack looks to be avoided. :)
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert but I have heard thats a really good thing. Thats your heart rate recovery (how fast it goes back down to normal)...its actually a more accurate depiction of your heart health than you resting heart rate.

I have an ok resting heart rate...its 60 when Im sitting. I understand your true resting heartrate is taken after you have laid down and done nothing for half an hour or so. I have never thought of taking my heart rate first thing in the morning. *shrug*

But, I do insanity and my heart is just UP there...180, 184 sometimes. Its crazy. But, within seconds I am back down to my 120s...and after exercise I get back down to the 80s within minute or two. I think its a good thing.

http://www.realage.com/fitness/heart-rate-recovery

Like there...your "real age" is judged to be lower the faster you return to normal. I think you are doing awesome and YAY for the doctor saying that a heart attack looks to be avoided. :)

Thank you!

---> I guess I also wonder if my "fat burning zone" is different than what charts say per my age, etc, whatever else is factored in. The highest my heart rate get's during a vigorous work out (which for me is Jillian Michales 30 day shred) is 166. And that is with pushing myself really hard and I am about to keel over from not being able to breathe! lol. So, everything tells me my fat burning zone is like 124-165 or something like that...but i get out of breath way before i hit 124 (like a 80-90) and feel like I am dying above 165. i hope that 124-165 is my actual fat burning zone and i am not just burning off blood sugar!! lol
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Hi - my resting heart rate is 36bpm but I still maintain a running pulse of around 150 - 160 and a swimming pulse of around 125bpm. At my age, my fat burning zone is supposed to be 125-135 - well I might as well go for a long walk to do that!

I don't worry about running in the fat burning zone as any working pulse rate is burning both blood sugar and fat and both contribute to weight loss. I understand it is only if you are trying to train your aerobic base for a long distance running event that running to your aerobic zone comes in.

I am sure this post will be followed by all kinds of different approaches. I guess my main message is - enjoy your low pulse!