Do you eat back the calories you burn?

Options
I have been working out every other day and I was wondering is it good or bad to eat back the calories you burn?

Replies

• thatblueyedchic
    thatblueyedchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    People debate this endlessly on here, and I think the best answer is to just do what works for you. You are already eating at a deficit, so not eating back your calories can increase that to a point that is unhealthy. But again it's about what works for you.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I usually do not eat them back.. although I think it's recommended that you do.
  • CraigR901
    Options
    Thank You :)
    quote]
    People debate this endlessly on here, and I think the best answer is to just do what works for you. You are already eating at a deficit, so not eating back your calories can increase that to a point that is unhealthy. But again it's about what works for you.
    [/quote]
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have tried to eat mine. Sometimes, I am successful. Most of the time I am so full I can't eat any more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah I do! But I can burn 'em!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    <<<Read my profile name
  • 240x30
    240x30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't lose not eating them. Too scared to try eating them!!!
  • theycallmewy
    theycallmewy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just makesure that I eat healthy if I eat them back. Oh well even though I dont eat them back, eating healthy would still help you to lose weight.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I only do if I'm hungry.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yes. My daily goal is set at the low default of 1200 so I eat my exercise calories back.

It works for me to try to burn 500+ calories most days, so I eat 1700+ calories most days.
    A 20% reduction from my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is a little over 1700 AND my maintenance calorie goal at my goal weight is about the same so I've got my bases covered this way.

This strategy pushes me to get the workout in almost every day, and I'm comfortable that I'm getting enough nutrition. No workout, I have to eat only 1200 calories and I enjoy food. When I burn 1000 or more calories, I still eat them back, or most of them, but I think 500 burned per day is a great sustainable goal and works with my food intake goal.

You can do all the worksheets and calculations at Fit2FatRadio.com and Scoobysworkshop.com, but if you just go to Goals on the MFP tab and look at "Calories Burned from Normal Daily Activity" that's going to be pretty close to what all the other websites tell you is your TDEE, if you've set your activity level accurately. MFP set my goal at a 40% reduction from that, and no one recommends eating below 20% of your TDEE for very long without doctor supervision - so the intention of this program is to eat your exercise calories back to get what your body needs - OR reset how you calculate your calorie intake goals.
  • joniannbrooks
    joniannbrooks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight no, not a good idea. If you are just in a maintaining mode............................eat away!!!!!
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Half. That way you get the benefits of the added deficit and the benfits of being able to eat a little more.
  • boopbabs
    boopbabs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i don't think you are supposed to eat back the calories you burn if you are trying to lose weight
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight no, not a good idea. If you are just in a maintaining mode............................eat away!!!!!

This is bad information. Suggest you read up how MFP factors in the calorie deficit before making replies like this and propagating the confusion.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    i don't think you are supposed to eat back the calories you burn if you are trying to lose weight

Everyone makes their own decision about this, but the way MFP is set up, the program does tell you to eat back those calories. Many people lose weight while eating back the calories, many people choose not to.
  • Letha6991
    Options
    If you eat more calories than you burn, your body stores the extra as fat. This makes you gain weight. If you eat fewer than you burn, your body burns that fat to get the extra. This makes you lose weight. When you count calories in a weight-loss program, you monitor your intake and expenditure to make sure you're in a state of negative calorie imbalance. This state means losing weight as your body systematically burns fat to get the energy it needs to function. From a standpoint of the physiological processes of weight loss, it doesn't matter whether you eat less or exercise to burn extra calories. However, individual weight loss plans work according to their own theories and systems. If your weight loss plan says you can count exercise calories, you should count them. If it recommends against doing so, you're better off not counting them. You should always check with your doctor before beginning any new diet, exercise program or other weight loss plan. Since you're already going to visit with your doctor, it won't hurt to ask him specifically about exercise calories and the program you're using. His advice can help you make an informed and actionable decision. God Bless My Dear
  • boopbabs
    boopbabs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OK, so I've done some research and if MFP gives you a total calorie goal for the day, that is your net calorie goal - which means that at the end of the day after all your eating and exercising, you should meet that goal. Mine is 1520 or 1560 - I can't remember, but If I eat the let's say it's 1520 - if I consume 1520 calories and then my workout burns 520 calories, then I need to make sure I eat something healthy that's 520 calories to refuel my body.