Any effective treadmills out there?

Options
I can't really go out jogging because my parents think someone might abduct me lol but they are willing to buy me a treadmill. My mom wants me to buy one that is pretty modern that checks your heart rate, you can plug your ipod in, and do a bunch of cool things on there. I have no idea where to look and what brand is good..very lost lol. Does anybody here know any thing close to what I need, thanks!(:

Replies

• twistedlefty
    Options
    i own and highly recommend the Sole F-85
    http://www.soletreadmills.com/treadmills/f85-treadmill-2013
    i have owned mine for 3 years and i'm completely satisfied
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    I sold my treadmill and purchased an elliptical.....Gold's Gym 410 from Walmart with 18" stride. You can plug your ipod into it and it also checks your heart rate...reasonably priced around $350. My 19 year old daughter (who is similar to your height/weight) and I both prefer the elliptical as it is easier on our knees. We both run outside without problems but do not care to run on a treadmill. Just something to think about...maybe you could go to a local gym and use both types of machines and see if you have a preference. And as a mom, be thankful that your mom cares about you! Way too many parents don't give a rip these days and there are ALOT of perverts and creeps out there! I rarely let my daughter run alone....maybe you can find an excercise buddy.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The heart rate readers on treadmills are notoriously WRONG. As are the calorie burns. The speakers on my ProForm aren't very good.

Make sure you get a model intended for running, quite a few are for mostly walking with the occasional jog.

Treadmills are deadly boring. I have a tv, dvd player and Roku set up in front of mine. Getting hooked on a tv series is a good thing.

I'm a stay at home mom and running outside generally isn't possible. My TM has quite a few miles on it.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I never hear complaints about Sole Treadmill. F-85, F-80 or F-63 all are highly recommended by my friends.
  • illbiteuH
    Options
    I have a NordicTrack T 5.7 . My husband runs on it every morning and I use it for walking and sometimes jogging. Its pretty good we have had it for a few years with no problems. It has a heart rate monitor (not sure how accurate it is though) but they also sell a wireless chest heart rate monitor for it, a place to plug in your ipod, its iFit compatible (sold seperatly) so you can work out with Jillian Michaels, and download google maps. It has 20 preset workouts (races, maps, etc. ) . It was a good investment.

http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_10301_12401_59002_183119
  • irishjune
    irishjune Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I bought a BodyGuard Fitness treadmill several years ago, and it has held up great. (I'm not sure if they are still around under that name.). It was pricey at the time, but if you are serious and it is an option, I recommend buying doing some research and going with quality so you don't end up with something rickety you don't want to use in six months.

That said, if I had to replace my machine, I would likely go with an elliptical next time. Even with a decent one, the treadmill is harder on my knees, back & feet. Getting outside with a buddy, as suggested above, is great advice!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I have had my True treadmill for 10 years and LOVE it. It is a basic model w/out a lot of features but... it has speed, incline and pause (very important). I keep my weight in check by using it almost every day. I have a TV with a DVR that records news and favorite shows. I can buzz through commercials and always keep my mind going so I don't know how far I have gone. I can run or walk in cold weather.