*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options

Replies

• penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    This thread will be a success, because even if noone else remains, I'm going to use it to vent, muse and grumble, and hopefully others will occasionally respond.

After a successful weekend, I came home and it snowed last night *grumbles*, my mum wanted me to drive to the station, but it wasn't very deep (only half an inch) so I didn't really see the problem, especially since the roads looked clear with the gritting. Dad said I could cycle in, so long as if the snow came down as heavy as it's forecast to this afternoon, and the conditions are bad, that I just push my bike home. Which actually seemed like a fair compromise. Worried about tomorrow though, as 3-4inches are forecast this afternoon/night.

I weighed myself last night (clothed and in the evenings arn't exactly ideal, but until I can bear to change the ticker it'll at least track my progress), and I have released 2lbs since Monday night. I'm very happy with that, and I can feel it in my clothes (that are all much too tight...or were...but still are but less so). At the weekend I needed to buy some black jeans for work. The office I've started at is frightfully casual, and I didn't think that tailored trousers would do, when so many people are wearing jeans and scruffy jumpers. I did have the dilemma whether I should buy a size up (currently a bit loose but fit with no lumps and bumps and are probably more work-appropriate), or my actual size, (and squeeze in and accept I look a little bit like an over-stuffed sausage). I went for the size up as they were cheap, and I with the cycling and the new-in-in-the-office I didn't really want to wear too-tight trousers. But now I'm having the slightly baggy dilemma that jeans get...don't get me wrong, I'm not regretting the decision, but I do think that I'll be in the smaller size very soon. Infact having them slightly baggy is actually acting as an incentive so I can lose a little bit more weight/inches and buy the smaller size sooner. It sounds daft though, as previously if I'd gone up a size it would've acted as a free-pass to not worry about my size since my clothes allowed it, whereas now it's been a bit of a wake up call that I need to keep on the healthy track so I definitely don't have to buy any more clothes in this larger size.

Becky - Please 1. go see the doc, 2. stay home, and 3. don't sweat it! Sounds like in the long run this is a much better option than trying to tough it out. And please let us know what the doc says!
    Also I totally know about the 3 week thing...I always feel if I can get through 3 weeks then I feel like I'm hitting my stride a little bit, and it all starts clicking. Week 2 is ALWAYS the worst for me, which is where I am now, and the snow isn't exactly making that any easier as cold weather makes me want to eat!
    Also (2) my bf who is a MASSIVE american sports fan is so chuffed about the hockey being back too! He's a big flyers fan, and he bought me a penguins hat when he was doing a mass import order of clothes (as they're so cute as a mascot...) but I'm also looking forward to following the red wings, as I have actually seen them, and I don't feel you can really claim to support a team unless you've seen them.

Kelly - I'm not sure what else you've tried, but is it cardio or strength you're looking for? I'm not sure how's best to approach it, but maybe start running if you don't already (or another cardio type activity) with a bit of cardio strength (like body pump or suchlike, to keep your strength you gained in the academy?). Do you have access to a gym/weights at home? Have you tried c25k or 30DS or suchlike? I have tons of ideas but need a bit more info to provide any meaningful suggestions.

Steph - I am in awe of you handling this with a little'un, I know it's tough enough for me to do when all I have to juggle is myself. Keep doing what you're doing coz you're clearly rocking it, especially handling all the tricky situations.

Everyone else, lovely to meet you, I look forward to (trying to) help out/support/provide an ear in the near future!
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Haven't been around much. I had the crud that is going around and all I wanted to do was sleep. Finally went to the doc, no infection, so just steroids. Feel 1000 times better but still catching up on sleep.

Food wise I have been good, just not enough food. So, back to eating again.

The next few weeks will be a hard time for me. DD21 is having my 2nd granddaughter. She found out her hubby has/is seeing someone else, so told him to get out. So she is now a single parent. He has no interest in the kids. I try to be there when she needs me without being there too much. It's her life, I'm just helping. And I still have a 16 year old daughter at home. Anyway, it's easy to put others first and "forget" about me.

I guess that's my goal for the next few weeks. Don't forget about me! I have to be healthy to be able to be there for them.

Have a great Monday!

(Hopefully I'll have time at work to go back and read.)
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday - just a quick check in - it's a crazy Monday around here. I didn't make much progress this weekend. Must be the winter blues - we stayed in and I cooked most of the weekend for my family. I'm back at it today. Drowning myself with H2O. I'll be back tomorrow when I have a few minutes.

It's Monday so let's kick it this week!!
    keep it skinny
  • lotusspark
    Options
    I'm interested. 5'8, 205 current and want to drop 70 or more if I am healthy doing so. Where do I sign up? =)
  • PamelaRose88
    Options
    HI!! I was so happy to find this post! My name is Pam and I, like alot of others on here, have lost and regained weight multiple times! Im glad to say Im back to losing and it feels good :)
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies!! Just keep coming back and post whatever you are feeling. All of us are glad you are here and want to help.
    Ohh I had a bit of a set back this weekend. Saturday didn't go we'll and Sunday was fine til after dinner then some how the snack monster attacked!! First my aunt kept pushing cookies on us, which I did take but didn't eat one then my mom had her salmon spread (salmon, cream cheese and lemon juice) which I did take and did eat with crackers. While it was probably better then the cookies, was still something I shouldn't have eaten.
    So increased my weights at the gym and kicked it on the elliptical machine. Drinking water like its going to run out too.

ReNae: sorry about the winter blues, maybe make like a cat and find a sunny spot in your house and bask in it. :happy:

Hope everyone is doing well and make good choices!
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Super quick update... I did go to the Doc today and it sucked. I just HATE the assumptions that they make due to a person's size. Felt frustrated and like they thought I was lazy and dumb, neither of what I am. But, they took my Blood Pressure (BP) but they used a cuff that was the wrong size, the really loose skin on my arms folded over itself and consequently I ended up with a higher BP than is normal for me. Tried to explain that to the Nurse but it was just sluffed off... and? I actually watched my heartrate go up 10 bmp because I was so frustrated... UGH!!

Doc says it's really bad laryngitis. Probably caused by the head cold & URI. So, I'm on a steroid... my best friend (a nurse) warns me - just know that a side effect is gaining weight. I knew that, but it does frustrate me! Only have to take it for 10 days - assuming that it works. Also given heavy duty cough meds... So I am hoping that I feel better soon.

Oh yeah - was also ordered that I can't talk for a week... only texts and emails. Vocal Rest the doctor says. We'll see how that goes over at work! Ha! Doc said that I could exercise (YAY) as long as it's very low impact (BOO). Says that I can steam room after (YAY) and that the steam room would be really, really good for me (DOUBLE YAY) but to be really cautious that I'd probably have some bronchial spasms (BOO) afterwards, but that wearing a scarf should help prevent/minimize them (YAY)!! :)

So, it could have been far worse... and probably by tomorrow? I'll feel better about all of it... I'm just still bummed about the night in general.

Catch up with all of you again lata!! :)
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Becky: sorry your feeling frustrated about your trip to the doctor but I am glad that you went and got some answers (stupid nurse!). As frustrating as it is now, getting fully better will allow you to get back to your normal routine faster than being half/half so longer.

Julie: I hear ya! This weekend was my downfall as well. Sometimes its so frustrating to have to watch every single morsel but we know how good it feels to hit those goals. Love your picture by the way, its fantastic!!

ReNae: Boo to the winter blues...I like the idea of finding a sunny spot for cat naps!

To all the new faces, hello and jump on in with posting!

Well Sunday ended up being a spectacular fail...crisps crisps and more crisps. I know I would be more successful if I got back to logging but (as some of you know) initially I find it so obsessive that I feel like I am losing my mind. Have to find a way to slowly get into it...maybe just main meals to start with? Or the snacks (lets face it, that's the danger zone).

In other news, I'm already feeling guilty about having to go back to work at the end of March. I wish financially that there was a way that I could stay home or go part time but as the main bread winner we just can't have me off for anymore time. It breaks my heart to think of leaving baby girl with someone else for most of the day. This just reiterates to me how important it is to get back to Canada where at least I can leave her with family. That said, going back to work means my old work clothes and if I am going to get anywhere close to getting into them I need to get moving. Weighing in Thursday and hoping things are okay! 30DS is sitting on the shelf looking at me and I keep finding excuses not to move but I have to jump over this. I know I feel better when I am active(watching BL last night and salivating with jealousy!).

Have a trim, tasty Tuesday! (share any good recipes! - I'm trying turkey sloppy joes in the slow cooker this week).
  • clcole522
    clcole522 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone.... I hope everyone is having a great start to their week! This week is going to be a struggle week for me...Work is pretty intense.. Just trying to get through it! Monday down, Tuesday is almost over, and 3 to go..lol..
    How is everyone else doing?
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Nice seeing so many post here again. Hope you feel better Becky! I'm still feeling blah. The fun never ends. Had to suffer through a 3 hr dentist appt this morning for a new crown. Holy drilling!! My head is still vibrating. I'm ready to feel good again that's for sure. The weather is gray here with snow coming in tomorrow. How is that supposed to motivate me to get to the gym?

I will go tomorrow - please hold me accountable - we both know it will make me feel better.
  • ah, thanks. Im new here and it seems like there are always new diet things. I am really trying to change my life and want to do it in a way that sticks.
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,
    Today was another good day. Did well at the gym and ate well. Don't have much to say. Taking my dad to Milwaukee tomorrow, he had skin cancer in his left cheek and is having reconstruction surgery tomorrow and won't be able to drive and mom don't like driving in all that traffic. So no gym for me, though hoping to get some walking in while dad is away and I hope eating goes well. Have some snacks and protein bars packed. So I should be all set. But they did get all the cancer out, so happy to hear that.
    Adoption update: Some of you know and most of you don't, but my husband and I are in the process of adopting again. We were blessed with our daughter (who you see in my ticker and profile pic) through adoption in 2010. So we are hoping to give her a sister or brother to grow up with. Well anyways....didn't hear anything yet. But not losing hope, soon we will be gifted with another child.
    Thats all. Hope everyone is doing well and making good choices.

Julie
  • sophielili92
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Soph & I'm 20. I'm in my 2nd year training to be a nurse which is the best decision I ever made! I have a wonderful boyfriend who I have been lucky enough to have in my life for a little over two years now.

I lost 28lbs but fell over the wagon after going on holiday, where I literally ate everything in sight after months of feeling so deprived. However, I'm ready to start this journey again with plenty of motivation! I have around 50lbs to lose in total, but I'm going for small goals this time - so I'm aiming to be 165lbs by March, 140lbs by August.

Feel free to add me as a friend or msg me for mutual motivation and support!!!! This is a new account so I'm pretty lonely in the friend department right now!

Look forward to hearing from y'all!
  • gwenpen13
    Options
    Hello all - I did Zumba last night and my right knee is feeling the price. That is ok. I need to get it checked out and wore my brace for much of the day. I did the whole class (I had people say I wouldn't keep up or finish.) And it wasn't that bad - unless you count my 2 left feet. I did break a sweat but I wasn't dying at all. And I walked there and back. I will go again. Not sure about tomorrow because of my knee...but maybe if I do the granny version. lol

I am surprised I am down over 3 lbs over the last 2 days. But I a also cutting WAY back on carbs and my goal is for at least 60g of protein. Looks like I may have to break out my protein drink mix for that though. (It only takes about 2 shakes for me to recall the taste then it gets hard to drink it any more.) I am also getting in all my water...even if it kills me. I am the worse person at drinking straight water. It almost makes me nauseous....but I am making it....I will survive.

I am just looking forward right now to getting into the last set of 'fat jeans' I was in. Then go down from there. Baby steps. And I know the weight loss so far is probably just water. I am an extremely slow loser. So I just set small goals. :)

Glad this group is here! Have a great night!
  • kkinnison
    kkinnison Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I just joined MFP but I had lost 70lbs about 2 yrs ago. I lost my mom about that time and fell off program. Since then I have struggled to get back on program and lose the 20lbs I gained and then another 50 lbs. I have a great guy in my life after being a single mom for12 yrs. I struggle to talk to him about my diet and exercise needs and making it a priority in my life. I am glad to find a group that may be able to give me some support and encouragement. I will be happy to do the same for any of you!
  • janfish2
    janfish2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Greetings. I'm Janice and looking to lose 65 lbs. I've been on this road for awhile so some of that weight is lost and found already. I just joined MFP this month and counting calories is new to me..they are never quite what I think they should be. :) I'm committed to keep logging food and trying to up my excercise...that seems to be my biggest struggle. My job puts me on the road so I find I often don't have a choice about eating out so have over the years learned to adapt.

Hoping to stick with this thread andfind motivation on the days when it has left me and is visiting you.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Morning losers!
    Well I released 1.4lbs this week. I was hoping for more but I will take every ounce that I can get. I also decided that this was the day to tackle 30DS so when baby was taking her first morning nap I got my sweat on. I normally do all my cleaning during that nap but decided that she can entertain herself while I tidy and she did so I don't feel like I lost out on getting stuff done. It was a struggle to complete and I am disappointed at home much endurance, strength and flexibility I have lost in the last year but I will get it all back, I know it. I'm also starting to log again...it may be quite loose and not regular to start with but I know I will get there. Need to go back to it slowly as it becomes too much of an obsession for me.

Gwen - well done on the Zumba class. I loved going and miss it a great deal. The two left feet thing will sort itself out the more that you are there.

Janice and kkinnison - welcome!
  • joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I would love to join this group. I want to lose 80 pounds. I just began my journey on January 2nd. Since then, i am down 9 pounds... a good start but ive got a long way to go. looking for friends to motivate me...
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jaki and I'm looking to lose 50 within the next 4-6 mos (really 4 mos)
  • womaniam
    womaniam Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

My name is Tamikka and I'm going to get rid of 100 lbs. I'm not in a rush so I'm taking it 1lb at a time.