Trying to replace cake with exercise...

Options
Hello everyone,

I've been using the app for 5 days now, wanted to get involved here too. I am in something of a pattern - do exercise, lose weight, then rationalise that I can eat more and still maintain a stable weight, begin exercising less and less while eating all the food, and then end up buying record-size trousers. Part of my down fall is that I'm a fairly competent cook/baker person, and had always treated myself with food.

So at this point, I need to keep my calories down and my exercise up, and try and find a way of not getting lazy/complacent in a few months!

I'm up for sharing recipes/exercise ideas/friend requesting... the lot!

Save me from myself please...

Replies

• Spydyrx
    Options
    I know how you feel. I used to hit the gym almost daily and rationalize that large pizza that I'd eat in about 10 minutes. Back when I was really into getting fit, I had a realization that made al ot of sense at the time, but had a lot of life get in the way of following through.

Fitness is 2 fold: Exercise and Nutrition. If you slack on either one you will never see results. Sure you can run on the tread mill for an hour a day for a year and eat garbage and lose weight, but the question will remain on whether or not you are healthy.

Start small. If you want your cake and to eat it too.... Make small swaps. If you normally eat a large order of fries, order a medium. If you want 3 slices of cake, cut 2 slices and then cut one in half. Every little bit will add up over time until you're cravings are dropped from a huge feast to a simple meal. An old trick I found that tends to work is to eat an apple. If you have a big meal, eat an apple in the middle of it, Apples are quite filling and when you don't have enough room for the "bad" foods you more than likely won't eat them.
  • PoshDinosaur
    PoshDinosaur Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I like your ideas about portion-size-restriction. Apples are wonderful things!

I am absolutely lousy at self-regulation in this way though - when I've lost weight before, it's been a matter of not having bad things at all, rather than smaller ones. I have a very big sweet tooth, and find it difficult to stop once I've started - it's easier to abstain completely and ride out a sugar craving for me.

In my head, I'm trying to detach the idea of 'treat' from that of 'food', if that makes sense? Not sure exactly what else I can put there though...
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I too have found it is much harder to eat a little when it comes to cake,
    It is much easier not to eat it.
    I love making deserts with liquor, I got the idea from Chopped.
    I make these when I am going to an event, I always bring desert
    and never bring any home.
    It really helps me keep it under control.
    Good luck to you