Am i eating enough?

Options
I am struggling with my diet at the moment. I feel really determined to lose what i want to achieve my goal ( 14lb) however i have been looking at what others have been saying on posts and a lot say that they are not eating enough! I am really trying to eat as much as i can but it's hard as i am busy most of the time with my daughter and i am finding it hard to build up enough calories without adding bad food.

I am exercising 5 days a week with cardio and weight training however i have seemed to put on weight.
Could i have some advice please?
Thanks. :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so we don't know what you are eating!

Current weight, goal weight, how long have you been doing this, daily calorie goal, any other dietary restrictions?
  • fevermaps
    fevermaps Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have changed it to open.
  • TGGolfer
    TGGolfer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Protein Protein Protein.........enough said:tongue:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think, if you are honest, you probably already have an idea that you aren't hence. asking the question. Unfortunately MFP puts almost everybody on the 1200 cals a day route and often this is below a person's BMR which is the amount of calories a body needs just to exist, even in a coma.

The easiest and kindest thing you can do for your body is to check out your BMR and TDEE and eat between those two figures for a long term substantial healthy weight loss.

The link below will explain this all much better and also give you the calculators you can use to find out your BMR and TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 <

Good luck :flowerforyou:

ETA foods that raise calories quickly & also add protein are:

Greek yoghurt
    nuts
    peanut butter
    avacado
    eggs
    lean meats
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, 800 or 900 calories a day is really too low.

Add in a handful of nuts and a glass of milk or orange juice.
  • fevermaps
    Options
    Your diary is closed so we don't know what you are eating!

Current weight, goal weight, how long have you been doing this, daily calorie goal, any other dietary restrictions?

I have been doing this for about a month now. My daily calorie goal is 1200. My current weight is 128.4lb, goal weight 112 lb
    Have no dietary restrictions.
  • fevermaps
    Options
    Thanks!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you asked. MFP gives us each a message whenever calorie counts fall too low.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Protein Protein Protein.........enough said:tongue:

Calorie dense, but healthy foods like peanuts are great to boost your calories, plus that they are made almost exclusively of protein and the healthy fats (Just don't get the sugar coated ones!!!) and fiber and the portability and ability to eat them on the go make them a great choice.
  • fevermaps
    Options
    Okay! :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Eat!!

If you ask whether or not you're eating enough, you aren't. I've been saying this each time, but change your settings to 1 or 0.5 pounds per week. Eat all of those calories. A smaller amount to lose needs a smaller deficit.
  • fevermaps
    Options
    Thanks, peanuts are a good idea!
  • Aniseedvan
    Aniseedvan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Would suggest a more substantial breakfast - I couldn't live on one or two bits of toast!
    Shredded wheat, or oatmeal/porridge are always good and for those of us who have no time with little ones to fix up a protein rich breakfast!

Grab some handfuls of nuts during the day - I make up some fruit and nut mixes for that reason.
  • seiglam
    Options
    You asked a good question, I didn't lose as much as I wanted to this week and I wondered if I'm eating correctly or not enough as well. Keep up the good work.
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You have to keep close to your daily calorie goal if you exercise you need to eat the extra allowed calories. If you have too much of a calorie gap between what your goal is and the calories you have left to eat your body starts to hold onto everything thinking a famine could be on the way (goes back to our cave dwelling days.

MFP calculates a daily calorific value based on your personal circumstances to ensure you dont trip into 'starvation mode' and keeps your metabolism at the right level for weight loss. I spent a day logging, didn't eat enough and the next day put a pound on!

Make time to eat good nutritious foods to make those calories up . Try not to go over though!

Good luck

Rockingdad
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You're at the low end of a healthy weight for your height, bordering on underweight. Your goal weight is definitely underweight. Instead of looking to lose weight, you should be eating at maintenance, getting enough protein, and if you still want to reshape your body consider doing it with exercise, making sure you include resistance training.
  • katherinegibson
    Options
    I had the same issue eating only 700-900 calories a day. Some things my ND had advised me (i have dietary restrictions) add little things in throughout the day: almonds, flaxseed, and even coconut oil! Coconut oil is very high in fight, but it metabolizes differently than other fats and can help lose weight, especially around the belly area, it also has anti-inflamitory properties, so small amounts can help with caloric increase! :)
  • fevermaps
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone for your input! Has helped! :)