Rest Days..?

I go to the gym EVERY DAY Monday through Sunday at least an hour everyday, 2 on Saturday. I see that some people have "rest days" and now it has me curious. Should I be taking a rest day or does it not matter. I enjoy being at the gym, I just don't know if a rest day is necessary.

Replies

• The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Yes, a rest day is advisable. It aids in recovery of your cells. It also helps your sanity. Failure to rest will eventually result in hitting a wall. You will not improve performance, and may lose motivation as a result. Treat yourself yo a rest day.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Ugh. Every day? I go to my gym 3-4 days/week - which includes both cardio and strength training - and might go for a longer (by my standards) run 2-3 times/week, sometimes on "gym days."
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    8 hrs of gym a week?
    How intense are your workouts?

If you work hard - a body does need recovery time. If it's less intense you can go every day and still recover enough in 24 hrs.
    It depends a lot on objectives, intensity and type of work out.

Overtraining and injury are risks. You can judge if you are getting to that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If you're going 7 days/week and really putting in an effort, I can guarantee you that you're overtraining. Your body needs recovery time. You should have at least one day per week off and a couple of days per week that if you do something, it should be a relatively light workout compared to your "real" workout. For example, I have three days per week that I'm not doing anything more intense than going for a nice 30-45 minute walk just to get my heart rate up a little and keep me moving...then I have 3 days that are pretty intense (for my fitness level) and one day off completely.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I agree that it depends on your intensity. There are also such possibilities active rest days. Not sure what your'e doing at the gym but let's say instead of running 5k, you just go for a short walk or do some easy swimming and stretching or yoga. These kinds of activities can actually help with recovery.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Depends on what you are doing at the gym and how your body is feeling. If you are wondering if it's necessary, it probably isn't.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    If you're enjoying yourself and don't feel fatigued, then go for it.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Sunday is my rest day and it's just for my own sanity. I alternate 3 days lifting & cardio [Tues, Thurs & Sat] and 3 days cardio only [Mon, Wed, Fri]. That's more than enough IMO. I find that my Sunday off actually make me look forward to getting back into things on Monday.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    I think everybody should take rest days. It's another way for your muscles to recover and develop. I only work out 4 days a week!

Have a read of: http://www.phillearney.com/training/overtraining/

It's more to do with weight training, but the advice is great.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Maybe (not saying it is) but maybe - if you don't need a day's rest in a week, it may be that you could have put more effort behind your workout sessions, maybe lifted heavier or one more rep or focussed more or whatever.

Or maybe it has got nothing to do with me and you actually get a kick out of working out every day - I practise yoga every day and can't imagine not doing that. I am aware that some days I go all out and other days I do what you might call active rest - I do an easier session. Maybe you workout the same if you think over your week?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Like some people have stated here you might not be pushing yourself past your limits every day when you are exercising. I am doing Insanity right now and let me tell you when my rest day rolls around I do a happy dance and kiss the floor because don't have to work out on that day because I am so mentally exhausted and just the thought of doing a workout makes me want to gag. Then the next day I am recharged and fired up all over again. It was the same when I was really pushing it at the gym plus doing extra workouts in the afternoon. On the off chance that I got a "rest" day (which was an active rest day because I'd still take the dog for a brisk 3 mile walk) it was a very welcomed break because I definitely needed it.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    I guess that I would just WANT a rest day. When I first started my workout routine, I was walking 3-4 times a week going 2-3 miles each walk. Now I have added distance and rigor to my walks by going 4-5 miles depending on the time that I have and I take the big hills that I thought would kill me when I started.

I am also doing a month long DVD series that has a built in rest day. Now I'm doing the videos Mon-Sat (longest one is 45 min) and still walking 3-4 times a week. On my DVD rest day, I walk, but it is less rigorous. That way I feel like I've done something, but I'm still letting my body relax.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    If you're working out 7 days a week and you're not feeling fatigued (and in need of a rest day), then you're not doing it right.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    If you're working out 7 days a week and you're not feeling fatigued, then you're not doing it right.

I was just about to say that.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    This is one of those topics that you can find so much conflicting information on….

I have been told (by a trainer & my family physician) that you need rest days – but only if you are doing the same thing – for instance if it’s strength training you don’t want to work the same muscles on consecutive days.

When you exercise – your muscles actually tear, and they are repaired/rebuilt with protein – which causes the growth – without resting and allowing the process to happen – you could be making yourself more susceptible to injury.

Good Luck!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    A rest day doesn't have to ean a complete day off. It could be gentle swimming, a short, light jog, whatever. Something low intensity that is different from your normal exercise can actual aid recovery.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Well, I do believe that I am doing something right considering I leave the gym soaked in sweat. I do mostly cardio. I lift minimal because I don't want to look like a dude, my arms and legs are significantly toned. I just enjoy being there. Its like my get away. I have no problems taking a rest day but whenever I think about taking the day off I get really antsy and I feel lazy, all I was asking was if there was a benefit to taking the day off. Thanks for the POSITIVE reinforcement that the majority of you gave. I appreciate it : )
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Well, I do believe that I am doing something right considering I leave the gym soaked in sweat. I do mostly cardio. I lift minimal because I don't want to look like a dude, my arms and legs are significantly toned. I just enjoy being there. Its like my get away. I have no problems taking a rest day but whenever I think about taking the day off I get really antsy and I feel lazy, all I was asking was if there was a benefit to taking the day off. Thanks for the POSITIVE reinforcement that the majority of you gave. I appreciate it : )

You will NOT look like a dude if you lift weights unless you are taking steroids.

How long are you doing your cardio for and at what intensity? Sweating isn't always indicative of a "great hard workout". Right now I am doing Insanity and that is 6 days a week and let me tell you I look forward to my rest days because I am just so spent from 6 days of hard, pounding cardio that I can't even think about doing a seventh day of anything.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

I can sit in the sauna for 30 minutes and leave soaked in sweat.

I think at the end of the day, it's as much mental as it is physical for you, and maybe even more-so. Which is fine... a lot of us like the mental health benefits of exercise.

Also, rest days don't have to mean you sit around doing nothing. My rest days often involve light spinning or stretching/mobility work. For me, a rest day mean low intensity work... not actual "rest".
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Well, I do believe that I am doing something right considering I leave the gym soaked in sweat. I do mostly cardio. I lift minimal because I don't want to look like a dude, my arms and legs are significantly toned.

Do I look like a dude? Because I lift a lot :noway: