Gummy whole wheat pasta?

Options
I hope someone else has had this experience and knows the solution.

It seems that no matter what I do, my whole wheat pasta comes out gummy and flat tasting.

I've boiled in salted (iodized or sea) water and plain, I use a timer, I test the noodles as I go so as to not overcook them.

But I cannot seem to make them taste right.

I can cook regular pasta without batting an eye (so to speak) and it is always wonderful, but I'm trying to make a difference in my diet and since I love pasta, it's either don't eat it or eat it gummy and tasteless.

Suggestions?

Replies

• ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Bump--anybody? Somebody?? Please??
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Try the Integrale series from the Italian brand Barilla. And cook them 1-2 extra minutes more than written on the box.

** I think they are called "Whole Grain" in the U.S.
    http://www.barilla.com/aggregator/product/1084
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, not sure what's going on there. I'd suggest you're boiling it too long, but you say you're checking it as you go?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Try barilla pasta it's a better quality pasta and don't overcook whole wheat, it will go gummy and make sure your cooking the pasta in lots and I mean lots of water. Personally I don't worry about it, I eat regular pasta and I eat a boatload of veg and some fruit throughout the day so the few benefits of whole wheat don't out weight the taste or texture.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find it takes a while to get used to the slightly different texture of wholewheat pasta. I started by using it in pasta bakes where it gets the life cooked out of it anyway and then slowly introduced it into other places, normally with a strong/spicy sauce and loads of veggies, until I got used to it.

Also I find that white pasta I like it slightly undercooked whereas wholewheat I need to cook it the full time, if not longer.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Buy different pasta
    I'm not sure where you're located, but here the store brand (Meijer) is good. Also Barilla.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I make my own. I realize this sounds insane, but I am italian. It's super easy to make, especially if you have a kitchenaid mixer. And it's about 10 million times better than boxed whole wheat... blech.
  • miamiamia13
    Options
    Barilla has a better texture.... I also feel like I have to cook it a few minutes longer. But what I have found that I like the best is the Barilla Whole Grain Penne or Rotini pasta. The spaghetti just doesn't taste good to me. And with the penne or rotini the whole family is happy with it.... especially if I bake it. Hope that helps a bit :)
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't use whole wheat since I found a brand of pasa at Walmart called dreamfields. It claims to be made in such a way that the carbs from it are mostly not absorbed. I only use the angel hair and it is so good,
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    It might be your brand. Besides adding salt to the water, I put in a little olive oil to keep it from sticking, and then I rinse with water after it's cooked.
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Brand really does matter - experiment a little. I like Delanllo Organic 100% ww (sold in a bag). Perhaps not having all the additives makes a difference, or that it's 100% semolina, which is ground more then durum - IDK.

For certian dishes where I want a white pasta taste I like Barilla Plus as a compromise. "while this enriched multigrain pasta isn't 100% whole wheat, it contains a grain and legume flour blend, along with semolina. This blend generally includes lentils, chickpeas, oats, spelt, barley, egg whites, ground flaxseed and wheat or oat fiber. What this means is that the pasta is high in protein (from the legume flour and the egg whites,) contains some plant omega-3s (from the ground flaxseed,) and will boost your fiber significantly (thanks to the legumes, whole grains, ground flaxseed)". ~ Web MD. Check out http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/healthier-bowl-pasta

Something interesting I learned "According to the Glycemic Index Database, white spaghetti made from durum wheat and boiled for 20 minutes has a GI of 58. This value is reduced to 34 if you boil it for just 12 minutes. As a result you can move your spaghetti from the medium glycemic category to the low one".