Exercise for those with joint/muscle AND balance issues?

If this has been asked elsewhere feel free to point me in that direction, I tried to search but wasn't quite finding what I'm looking for. I have problems with joint and muscle pain, so I'm trying to find other exercise to do that won't aggravate that too much. Right now I mainly just walk, I try to lift weights some but usually cant do much before pain kicks in. Even the walking if I do too much will bother me :frown: The other problem is I don't have great balance, so while I read a lot of people recommend using an elliptical as its easier on joints (especially the knees), I look at those things and wonder if I'm coordinated enough to not fall off, lol And alas swimming/water aerobics is out as I can't tolerate the chlorine in pools :tongue:

Any suggestions? Do ellipticals require much coordination/balance, or does it just look like it does? What else would you recommend? Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• LOH611
    LOH611 Posts: 23 Member
    The first time I used an elliptical I felt a bit off balance but you get used to it after a few minutes
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Thanks for replying, at least now I know to give it a bit of time before just assuming its me feeling off balance. I figure I'll try an elliptical this week and see how it feels, it'd be great if it works out!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    I know the feeling. I have RA, and my joint pain and balance suck if I don't work out regularly. Keep at it! As you start working out regularly in increasing amounts, your joints and muscles will improve. Building a stronger core will help with balance.