Hypothyroid anyone?

Options
I am attempting to lose the weight that I have gained over the past 3 years. PREFACE on the weight gain: I have had 4 surgeries in the past 3 years c-section, 2 fusions of the L4-5/L5S1 and a nuerostimulator implant. Since all of this I have gained 45 pounds, I had depression due to all of this, I am hypothyroid and finally getting back on my feet.

Who has hypothyroid? Are you dieting? Or are you just doing a lifestyle change? If you are on a diet, which one? Is it helping? Are you consulting with your doctor regarding the weight loss? How are you doing on your meds? When are you taking your meds (time of day)? Have you gained a significant amount due to the thyroid? What do you believe is helping you the most? Are you forgetful in taking your meds?

I am trying to be really serious with the meds again. I was doing great for many years (I have been diagnosed for 12 years now) and the last three years has been kicking my *kitten*. I know the depression added to the lack of energy and desire to maintain my health. I am on the road to recuperating from all of this. I have a long road ahead but I believe I am making the right choices but curious to know who else is struggling with this condition.

Replies

• breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed with this and also asthmatic and on a steroid inhaler and another inhaler. I have tried several things like South Beach ( a couple summers ago) and did well even though i am not big on veggies. I recently tried it again and lost 2 pounds got frustrated and tried the 17 day diet, atkins (had a really bad reaction...so stopped) and now am seeing if counting calories will do anything.
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am going to see the doctor about changing me from Synthroid to Nature-Throid. I am hoping that will help me. I am currently on Synthroid along with Cytomel but I feel off. I see her on Monday and should have my test results later this week then I will return 8 weeks after I start the new medication to test the results. I believe it will be another 3 to 6 months before we have me stabilized again. :sad: but i will get there.....

What were your symptoms prior to diagnose? Are you feeling any better with the medications?
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Was diagnosed 6 years ago. I'm in nz so started on thyroxine which is synthetic. Got my levels to normal and weight dropped off but felt crap and shaky so switched to whole thyroid which is a t3 and t4 mix made from pig thyroid. I've felt much better on it and mostly my levels have been pretty stable. I take 60mg morning before getting up and 15mg evening which is unusual but works for me. I lost weight here fairly easily by tracking cals and exercising. Whenever I slow up the exercise or start eating crap ie when I'm busy or stressed the weight creeps back on. Feel free to friend me
  • NikkiC35
    Options
    I was diagnosed 1 year ago. I am on synthroid but keep changing the dosage s. My bloodwork keeps coming back bad. I can gain 5 pounds over night and am always tired. Watching what I eat and exercising helps a lot. Anything with sugar in it and certain foods cause it to act up. I also have asthma so the steroids put weight on me too. I have to put my meds were I can see them to remember to take them.
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was diagnoised when I was 18. I am 44 now. Before I was diagnoised, I was extremely tired and always cold. I was very active (year round soccer) so I never had an issue with weight gain. I get blood work done once a year and I have been at the same dose for the last 8 years. I still get a bit cold now and then. I do exercise daily, but if on the right dose, your thyroid should be 'normal.' If your dose is too low, you could have issues with weight gain.
  • fmebear
    Options
    Have any of you tried the Nature-Throid? http://www.nature-throid.com/nature_throid_vs_synthetic_thyroid.php I am going to give it a go. I believe that there is too much going on with my Synthroid that it no longer acts properly.

Have any of you read books by Mary Shomon? I have and follow her on FB. I find her information very useful and it was because of her book, Thyroid Power, I ended up using Cytomel. I also see an Endocrinologist because of her. LOL! She just started an app on droid/iphone where you can have labs done then a consultation with her. I am debating on whether or not I am going to do it. She is very, very well informed on the subject as well as the whole endocrine system.

The other person I follow in FB is Thyroid Sexy.

These two women have a lot of great information available as well as recommended doctors. :)
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hiya

Sorry to hear about your challenges. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism too but I'm so sensitive to medication that I experience lots of negative side effects. Research shows that one of the most effective treatments for hypothyroidism and depression is exercise (and losing weight). I lost 50 lbs, and guess what, no longer a hypothyroid problem!! Have another 80 lbs or so to go to maximize my vitality and health, but the best lesson was learning that exercise and eating well is for a lifetime, not just to drop pounds, because it really does regulate your moods, and your physiology, to avoid problems like underactive thyroid, diabetes, depression, and early death! You can do it! It's a process, just start loving yourself more, and living well because you deserve it!

x
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    I've had 2 C-Sections & and have hypothyroidism. As for weightloss, I have done both Weight Watchers and MFP with success... I think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet that I can stop or start. :smile: I take my meds in the morning so that I'm not grouchy all day :laugh:

I see my endocrinologist once a year ~ he's done a great job of keeping me balanced. I read in another post that you were thinking of trying Nature Thyroid, but I'd seriously talk to your doctor first. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but the endocrine system is very complex and can be adversely affected in a short amount of time.

When your thyroid is off balance it's hard to be motivated & to ward off depression... I've been there a million times in the past, believe me! Never give up on yourself! Take things a day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you slip... it's a hard journey, but you'll make progress and see change if you keep at it. :smile:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Are you supplementing with potassium iodide? I don't know a lot about hypothyroidism, but I do know that a deficiency on iodine in the diet can make problems worse. You should see an RD or Nutritional Therapist to get recommendations for eating to balance thyroid function.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!

Losing weight & adding exercise definitely helped me. Previously my labs were all over the place, but my levothyroxine dosage hasn't been changed in a year or so. My endo was a joke; so glad I could finally "fire" her! I found heaps of info on the Wilson's Temperature Syndrome site as well as some helpful supplements.

After being gluten-free for years (supposed to be helpful for Hashimoto's) I recently decided to try the Primal diet as I still wasn't feeling 100% fabulous. Cutting out all grains has really boosted my energy level & I feel wonderful a week into it.

P.S. If you are new to taking thyroid meds, do pay attention to how you feel. The company that manufactured the generic I was on changed the formula w/o informing me & I was suddenly very hyper-thyroid rather than hypo as before. I thought I was going to die, I felt horrible, my skin & hair were aging at a rapid clip, I looked like death. 'Oops! Oh well,' was more or less my doc's response...I was furious.
  • Crystalagain22
    Crystalagain22 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT the only one. I have been hypo for about 11 years now and am still struggling to lose the weight.(100+ to go and I used to be super thin :() This time around i'm trying to see it as a "lifestyle change" where I eat a certain amt of calories, but don't really limit myself to a certain diet otherwise as I know I need to stick with it longterm. Exercise seems to be really important to people like us as well where our metabolisms are so slow. Medication wise i've mostly been on Synthroid, but have also been on armour (loved it, but hard to find a doc who will prescribe it) The synthroid helps a bit, but something is definitely still missing. Anyhow I definitely understand! If you ever want extra support, feel free to add me! Best of luck with your weightloss journey!
  • codylee98
    codylee98 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 13 years ago, I was very opposed to taking medication so I tried natural remedies which would work for a week or two, but then I would have to change, dosages, add stuff, etc. And the cost was over $100 per month. Then I switched to Armour thyroid, but found that different batches would work differently. My endocrinologist tried to get compound prescription for me, but my levels of TSH went up drastically I have taken a combination of Synthyroid and Cytomel for years, and my tests usually come back a little hyper, which my endocrinologist, my doctor and I all agree is my normal. Yes, it is harder to lose weight with a thyroid issue, but at some point I had to stop blaming my inability to lose weight on it. When I consistently exercise, I lose weight. It helps my depression and at this point in my life (over 50) I have had to accept that exercise has to be a part of my life.
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am going to see the doctor about changing me from Synthroid to Nature-Throid. I am hoping that will help me. I am currently on Synthroid along with Cytomel but I feel off. I see her on Monday and should have my test results later this week then I will return 8 weeks after I start the new medication to test the results. I believe it will be another 3 to 6 months before we have me stabilized again. :sad: but i will get there.....

What were your symptoms prior to diagnose? Are you feeling any better with the medications?

I am on Levothyroxin and have been since November (when i was diagnosed). The only symptom i had was exhausted all the time but didn't know it had to do with my thyroid. I went for my 4 month asthma check and my doctor sent me for bloodwork to check my cholesterol and other stuff and that's when we found out about my thyroid (and cholesterol is a lil high). I didn't tell my doctor i was having troubles with exhaustion cuz i just thought i wasn't getting enough rest and since that was my only issue i didn't tell him about it. I'm npt as tired as i was but still on the tired side.
  • fmebear
    Options
    You are definitely NOT the only one. I have been hypo for about 11 years now and am still struggling to lose the weight.(100+ to go and I used to be super thin :() This time around i'm trying to see it as a "lifestyle change" where I eat a certain amt of calories, but don't really limit myself to a certain diet otherwise as I know I need to stick with it longterm. Exercise seems to be really important to people like us as well where our metabolisms are so slow. Medication wise i've mostly been on Synthroid, but have also been on armour (loved it, but hard to find a doc who will prescribe it) The synthroid helps a bit, but something is definitely still missing. Anyhow I definitely understand! If you ever want extra support, feel free to add me! Best of luck with your weightloss journey!
    Have you asked your doctor about Cytomel? It is T3 which is what T4 converts to. It may be the extra "thing" you need to feel like yourself. I have been on T3 for quite sometime and it definitely makes a difference to me. I had one doctor take me off of it and I was miserable. I changed doctors and was able to have Cytomel back into my regiment.
  • fmebear
    Options
    I had to cancel the endocrinologist appointment today. My son woke up at 11 pm to 4:30 am with the flu soooooo i can't leave him home. I also need to disinfect the house. Next appt is in February.
  • clarkehn
    clarkehn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am attempting to lose the weight that I have gained over the past 3 years. PREFACE on the weight gain: I have had 4 surgeries in the past 3 years c-section, 2 fusions of the L4-5/L5S1 and a nuerostimulator implant. Since all of this I have gained 45 pounds, I had depression due to all of this, I am hypothyroid and finally getting back on my feet.

Who has hypothyroid? Are you dieting? Or are you just doing a lifestyle change? If you are on a diet, which one? Is it helping? Are you consulting with your doctor regarding the weight loss? How are you doing on your meds? When are you taking your meds (time of day)? Have you gained a significant amount due to the thyroid? What do you believe is helping you the most? Are you forgetful in taking your meds?

I am trying to be really serious with the meds again. I was doing great for many years (I have been diagnosed for 12 years now) and the last three years has been kicking my *kitten*. I know the depression added to the lack of energy and desire to maintain my health. I am on the road to recuperating from all of this. I have a long road ahead but I believe I am making the right choices but curious to know who else is struggling with this condition.

I am Hypo (Hashimoto's). I was diagnosed with Hypo 10 years ago but it wasn't until this year that I really started taking my meds religiously. I am on 200mcg of Synthroid daily. I take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then wait 30 minutes to eat breakfast. When I wasn't taking my meds routinely I was a walking zombie. Any moment I got I would sleep. I fell into a depressed state where I didn't enjoy doing things that I otherwise have a passion for. Since taking my meds my lifestyle has entirely changed so I can't tell you how much is because of the meds and what is because of diet and exercise but I feel amazing now. I don't follow any of the Hypo Diets where they tell you to avoid certain foods. I simply eat a clean/healthy diet, I exercise DAILY, and I take my meds religiously.

I wish you all the best!
  • Crystalagain22
    Crystalagain22 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So sorry, I just noticed you wrote me back! Yes, i have asked for Cytomel. The doctor told me T3 is not necessary, which is nonsense! I'm seeing an endo in a couple of weeks, so hopefully something good comes of it.
  • tbetz1
    tbetz1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been on synthroid for 12 yrs. In those 12 yrs I've gained and lost and gained and lost, had some kids. But in the last 8 months by choosing healthier foods (about 1900-2100 calories worth) and moving a minimum of 30 mins a day have lost 43lbs, I think as long as your meds are stable and you figure out what will work for you and your lifestyle, there's nothing holding you back but you