NSV... NOT TOO FAT TO FLY!!!

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
Just got back from a week long Disney Cruise with my family! It was the first time I was going to fly in about a year, and the last time I flew, I had to suck in to get the belt to fasten, and cross my leg into the isle to not have my leg toughing the person next to me.

I was soooo stressed out about flying this time... especially since I was flying Southwest on completely full flights for each leg of the trip, and I know that they have the reputation for not only having smaller seats, but also with their strict passengers of size policy.

I had even bought a seat belt extender off ebay just in case I would need it... I'm happy to report that I not only DIDN'T need it, but had probably 3-4 inches slack on the belt and fit fine between the armrest as well!

Next goal... go to an amusement park and not need to worry about the size of ANY of the rides.

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    congratulations. I think this was my most enjoyable NSV as well. May you enjoy frequent and safe travel opportunities in the future.
  • jr1985
    Options
    congratulations. I think this was my most enjoyable NSV as well. May you enjoy frequent and safe travel opportunities in the future.

Thanks!
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful NSV. Good for you.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you!:happy:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Good for you. That's a great NSV and one to be proud of.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    That is a great NSV! It makes travel so much less stressful. :)
  • jr1985
    Options
    Thanks guys... I'm flying again in the middle of next month so this is a huge relief.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That is really awesome! Nothing better than having one less thing you never have to worry about again! :drinker:
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yay thats awesome!!! I always freak out about seat belts on amusement park rides. Will it fit? Will they have to move me to a "fat" seat? Will there be a "fat" seat available if it doesn't fit? How will I handle getting off the ride before it starts with grace and not so embarrassed I run away? It has happened once, I wasn't extremely heavy (260 at 5'8") but heavy enough I couldn't fit in the normal seat belt. We bought season passes to Silver Dollar City and I know it wont be an issue this year!! I also know I will still have the anxiety and stress when I get in line for that particular line again.
  • jr1985
    Options
    Yay thats awesome!!! I always freak out about seat belts on amusement park rides. Will it fit? Will they have to move me to a "fat" seat? Will there be a "fat" seat available if it doesn't fit? How will I handle getting off the ride before it starts with grace and not so embarrassed I run away? It has happened once, I wasn't extremely heavy (260 at 5'8") but heavy enough I couldn't fit in the normal seat belt. We bought season passes to Silver Dollar City and I know it wont be an issue this year!! I also know I will still have the anxiety and stress when I get in line for that particular line again.

Happened once to me too... On a ride that i had fit ok at when I was a bigger size so I think it was just a belt malfunction or something... but still, I was humiliated.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Fantastic way to go
  • jr1985
    Options
    flew again for another mini-trip and just got back last night! Happy to report that the seat belt extender I bought for my trips just in case went completely unused, and I fit fine between the seats... Also really happy to report... I no longer HATE being in pictures... I mean don't get me wrong, it is still no where near what I would LIKE to look like in them... but I'm starting to see some progress! Here's a pic from the trip I just got back from! (yes I'm the fat chick in the middle of all the skinny people :( but still not as horrible as I was expecting!)

nassau2013_zps0af4acb3.jpg
  • princesspilar
    princesspilar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That has inspired me to think of a great reward - go someplace fabulous on vacation when I get to my goal. And enjoy the extra inches on the seat belt!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    This was a NSV for me as well. I can walk down the aisle frontal instead of side step. It was a great feeling as I fly regularly! I can take a smaller suitcase as well as my clothes are smaller an they take up less space
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Wonderful. I am <this> close to not needing an extender and I look forward to the day. Congratulations.
  • jr1985
    Options
    That has inspired me to think of a great reward - go someplace fabulous on vacation when I get to my goal. And enjoy the extra inches on the seat belt!

Vacay's are a GREAT reward!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    this happened once to me for the Batman ride a park in california, cant remember which one. Waited 2 hour for my turn. Have to say the ride attendance were very nice and I got free pass to the Viper (fantastic ride) as compensation. So while I was embarrassed it turned out okay.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have also always hated flying cause the seats just seem so small and uncomfortable for larger people. I have almost had to get off some rides a six flags, and it is very embarrassing for people to stare and wonder if you are going to fit into the seat. Congrats are your awesome NSV!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    wow..those moments matter...real proof of why you're doing this. Congrats and keep up the great work..you look beautiful.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I don't need an extender anymore, but my hips/thighs are still too wide. I can't wait for the day I can buy just one seat again. :) As soon as I'm "thin" enough, I'm going to fly somewhere for the weekend, just to celebrate.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!