Having a curry tonight .. help, help, help!!

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to go for a curry tonight and can't decline. I am still on my first week counting calories and don't want to throw it out the window yet.

Can anyone tell me what has the lowest calorie count? I still have around 600 calories left for dinner.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    You should ask about which dishes have cream in them. Dishes like Chicken Tikka Masala and Saag Paneer (spinach with cheese) usually have heavy cream. (And, for this reason, are very tasty!) Also, Indian food tends to use a lot of ghee, which is clarified butter. Maybe you can ask your server which dishes are lighter, or maybe they could sub milk for cream in your dishes.

If they have lentil dal (also spelled daal and dhal), that is usually just lentils and spices. Dal and some naan could be a nice, light meal.

If all else fails, get something you want, divide it in half and take the rest home for lunch tomorrow.
  • Thanks ShoshanahM the splitting in half is an excellent idea!
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    It's sooo hard though! Thankfully, you're probably avoiding the lunch buffet and will just be served one plate. I cannot resist piling on all the creamy curries, and I'm a little lactose intolerant to boot. :)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    My plan is to just skip most of the rice.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    Yup, splitting it in half is the ticket! Also, can you fit in an exercise session/another exercise session today? That will boost your calorie allowance.

Do what you can to prepare and then just go and enjoy. Be mindful of what you eat and eat modest portions. Focus on the company and conversation and less on the food.

Also, be aware that many curry dishes are very high in sodium which MAY cause you to retain water and thus see a temporary increase in the scale. Doesn't affect everyone that way, but it may impact you.

I love curry and ate it often when I was actively trying to lose weight. But I also made my own, so I could limit the sodium.

Enjoy tonight!
  • tandoori or saag :-) i have this problem myself when it comes to take outs, as i'm recovering from an eating disorder, they are two of the 'healthier' options
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    something with at least mostly lentils or other legumes and veggies will be super tasty and filling.
    Also, if you can avoid the rice or ask for it to be on he side, that would save hundreds of cals.
    1 cup of rice can be 400 cal, and you'd have no calories for anything else.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Do 45 minutes of cardio or a good HIIT session. Or, take a look at your weekly burn vs. intake and find a way to get the net weekly picture fine. But if you want to have a nice evening out, try and do that.
  • Artemis751
    Artemis751 Posts: 20 Member
    Maybe chicken tikka with an indian side salad ?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Maybe chicken tikka with an indian side salad ?

Chicken Tikka is a great GREAT! idea. Grilled chicken in a creamy yoghurt sauce? Protein on top of protein, lean and healthy. Nice suggestion.
  • fihealth
    fihealth Posts: 165 Member
    something really spicy with tomato base instead of cream base, vegetarian even better (dahl is a great suggestion though watch out for the ones made with cream and lots of ghee!). poppadoms are lower cal than naan.

most restaurants accommodate if you ask for steamed veg on the side of your main. then divide main in half for tomorrow, and eat all the steamed veg with the rest. use the steam veg as your base instead of rice.

enjoy it and some additional exercise will make it guilt free! :)
  • Ask them if they do a proper KARAHI or Methi - both these dishes should be dry and spicy as opposed to swamped in a sauce.

If not, then chicken biriyani with something like saag aloo or gobi aloo. Also, as already suggested Tandori Chicken (dump the skin) and any of the pulse based dhals. If you get a bread, chappati should in theory be lowest in fat and has good fibre value from the flours used.
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    I was going to suggest the Chicken Tika as well also can't remember the name of it but my local Indian serves a dish on a sizzling platter with Onions and peppers.
  • Artemis751
    Artemis751 Posts: 20 Member
    Think its called Shashlick but don't think thats how you spell it !!
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    If you definitely want a curry make sure it is a tomato based sauce with no ceram or yogurt. Have a lentil dish and chapati on the side rather than rice and nan.

I would personally have a vegetable tandoori with salad.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Dry meats like chicken tikka, brown chapatti, vegetable dishes (ask which have least oil/ ghee), lentil daal.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I usually just have something like lamb or chicken tikka and I skip the rice, naan, any and all bread/starchy things. I don't typically have a starter as the portions where I go are rather huge. I also never worry about fat content due to cream or their use of ghee. I use heavy cream and ghee, real butter, full fat greek yogurt, etc. so all that tasty stuff is great as far as I'm concerned!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Do 45 minutes of cardio or a good HIIT session. Or, take a look at your weekly burn vs. intake and find a way to get the net weekly picture fine. But if you want to have a nice evening out, try and do that.
    Don't do this.

The exercise will make her want to eat more.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    You've got a ton of suggestion!
    The other thing is, even with a healthy suggestion, you may go over a bit. Just don't sweat it! Going over even a few hundred calories shouldn't ruin your whole week. I found MFP sets your calories a bit lower than they need to be, so you should still be losing weight even if you increase your daily intake a bit. So one day in the week with a high calorie but healthy meal shouldn't affect you too much at all.
    So go for a healthy option, maybe a bit smaller, but if you do go over, it won't hurt you! Try not to stress about these things too much, or counting becomes a lot harder.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Fish curry is light too if they do it. Something like a cod bhuna. My absolute fave! And second what everyone says about sides.