Very Desperate dieter

Options
having lost 28 l Ive been on a plateau for nearly 2 years since i took up running yo yoing up and down by 7lbs.

I am 5' 4" and weigh 238 lb. i have a very sedatary job with little movement off my chair for 8 hours and spent another hour per day driving. Daily housework is apporx 2 -3 hours, but i train for on average 1 hour per day of vigirous activity 6 times per week.

Monday - spin class - 600 cals burnt
Tuesday - Running clun - 1 hour - approx 600 cals burnt
Wed - strenght and conditioning with some cardio - approx 300
Thursday - rest day
Friday - 1 hour running 600 cals
Saturday - spinning 600 cals and running 30 mins 300 cals total 900 cals
Sunday - 1.5 hours running - approx 1000 cals.

i have increased my cals from 1770 (my BMR) to 2000 cals however i have remained the same. Surely i cannot increase my daily calorie intake any higher to loose weight.

i have done the Math so many times but still can't seem to understand how i am still the same weight. Can someone please advise me on what my TDEE is and how many calories i should be consumming.

2013 has to be the year i shift weight !!!!

Thanks Kerrbear

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    DYEL?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    i have increased my cals from 1770 (my BMR) to 2000 cals however i have remained the same. Surely i cannot increase my daily calorie intake any higher to loose weight.

You need to be serious with your activity level when doing the math(you are not lightly active).. you need to eat more.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    having lost 28 l Ive been on a plateau for nearly 2 years since i took up running yo yoing up and down by 7lbs.

I am 5' 4" and weigh 238 lb. i have a very sedatary job with little movement off my chair for 8 hours and spent another hour per day driving. Daily housework is apporx 2 -3 hours, but i train for on average 1 hour per day of vigirous activity 6 times per week.

Monday - spin class - 600 cals burnt
    Tuesday - Running clun - 1 hour - approx 600 cals burnt
    Wed - strenght and conditioning with some cardio - approx 300
    Thursday - rest day
    Friday - 1 hour running 600 cals
    Saturday - spinning 600 cals and running 30 mins 300 cals total 900 cals
    Sunday - 1.5 hours running - approx 1000 cals.

i have done the Math so many times but still can't seem to understand how i am still the same weight. Can someone please advise me on what my TDEE is and how many calories i should be consumming.

2013 has to be the year i shift weight !!!!

Thanks Kerrbear

how long have you been on the increased cals? and what does your diet typically look like? is your diary open?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    when it comes to steady state cardio, the body gets very good at becoming efficient and burning the least calories possible. if you have been doing this workout schedule for a while you probably arent burning as many calories as you think.

increase your stength training and include some HIIT.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're entering the amount of calories correctly? Netting 1200 calories a day for two years probably wouldn't keep you at 240 pounds, even if starvation mode set in.

Also, try getting some blood work done and see if you possibly have a medical issue for this.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Without your diary being open it's a guessing game. Do you log consistently? Measure your food? Have a HRM? Have you seen a doctor?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, are you calculating the calorie burn using a HRM? The MFP calculations are just an estimation and I find my calorie burn is usually half of that in the database.
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Invest in a HRM you will be surprised at the amount of calories you think you burn as to what you actually burn
  • GoneKona
    Options
    Have you been tested for hypothyroidism?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Invest in a HRM you will be surprised at the amount of calories you think you burn as to what you actually burn

good call (and the poster above you who said the same thing.)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    DYEL?

+2
  • acappi62
    Options
    OMG I know exactly what you are going thru. seems no matter what I do upping cal and increasing workout my scale does not move it actually goes up and very frustrating especially when my jeans are feeling looser i like to see it on the scale too but nope up it goes.. this is my week..

Sat - conditioning class
    Sun - Personal Trainer
    Mon - cardio bootcamp
    Tues - zumba or rest day
    Wed - Cardio bootcamp
    Thur - Cardio Weights..
    Fri - rest day

I"m not giving up i hope to figure it out some day lol
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    you should prob spend a few bucks and purchase an HRM. Your estimates for calories burned seems a bit high. Also try varying your workout a bit; muscles get used to the same workout over and over again.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary it would make this 100 times easier, as I bet the answer is right there.

Without seeing what you are actually eating, we can just speculate on what the problem may be. If your calorie burn numbers are indeed accurate, you should be eating over 2,000 calories per day. Again, this is assuming your burn numbers are accurate (they do seem pretty high). You may not see it but your workouts are quite intense (if accurate). If you are going to push your body that hard, you need to fuel it properly. This is a likely reason why you have stalled for so long.

I also used to undereat and couldn’t understand why I kept plateauing for months at a time. Increase your calories and give it 3 weeks (your weight may initially go up a little then level out/start to drop) and I bet you’ll see a difference.
  • acappi62
    Options
    so can i ask if i am working out like i am and burning at least 1000 calories per class i have a HRM and my cal right now is 1800 should i up my cal intatke then
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    so can i ask if i am working out like i am and burning at least 1000 calories per class i have a HRM and my cal right now is 1800 should i up my cal intatke then

Eat more. If you input your info into MFP, it does the math for you, just eat what it says. Assuming calories burned are accurate, as 1,000 calories for one class seems HUGE though possible. You can't do huge calorie burns like that and not properly fuel your body. Just like your car will crap out on you if you run out of gas, your body will do the same thing. Feed it well, try and avoid over AND under-feeding.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    when it comes to steady state cardio, the body gets very good at becoming efficient and burning the least calories possible. if you have been doing this workout schedule for a while you probably arent burning as many calories as you think.

This doesn't make any sense and isn't how the body works. If this was true Olympic Athletes wouldn't need to have much intake based on that logic, whilst the opposite is actually the reality. The body doesn't adapt to be more efficient at burning cals, it just means someone who is leaner needs less calories to move their body than someone who's carrying excess fat. Think it like a truck needing a bigger engine and using more power to shift it along compared to a car.

Anyway to the OP you seem to be going OTT with exercise. It isn't needed for losing weight and especially not everyday.

Not that I'm necessarily advising it you could sit on a sofa all week and as long as you ate below your TDEE you would lose weight. If you intake less than your body expends then you start losing.

Try a week or so finding your TDEE and go from there. Once you're happy with losing with exercise from your day to day cals burnt by moving about then add your additional exercise and monitor the difference. Losing weight comes predominatly from food eating all kinds of food but in moderation, exercise is just looking good naked.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

yep.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I would say add in weights, your body will adjust to cardio faster and burn less calories, as you get fitter you need to continually up the bar. Get a HRM too, this will tell you exactly what you are burning not estimates. I recently found out that my HR recovers really fast, so I have to constently be doing cardio even in weight circuits to keep up the heart rate.
  • Indiglowsky
    Options
    I completely understand your dilemma as I have been through this too. I am about the same size and have to reduce my calories to 1000 to get anywhere. However, I have some strategies I am starting to check out.
    First, make sure it is not medical....
    Get tested for hypothyroidism and PCOS.
    Make sure you are logging everything you eat....including sneaky calories from fluids, such as coffee creamers, etc...
    To get beyond a plateau, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the way to go. Also, consider zig-zag calorie intake. When you confuse the body, the plateau is less likely to occur. I am in the process of breaking my plateau right now through trying this.

Some of us are unfortunately blessed with very smart metabolisms that adjust quickly to reductions in calories and same work outs.