Eating late at night? Y/N? Why?

Options

Replies

• glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't do it is because sodium late at night makes me bloat and I see it on the scale in the morning. I don't take it seriously because it's not real weight, but I still don't like to see it. Eat something healthy late at night if you are hungry, you will be fine.

This is one of the best posts yet. In terms of big picture weight loss, timing doesn't matter. People who eat late then weight themselves every morning may very well see what appears to be a weight gain, which is why they complain about how awful eating at night is for weight loss. But in reality they are just holding a little extra water, which isn't effecting actual weight/fat loss, only scale weight. But people jump to conclusions based on what they observe rather than on what is actually happening.

Good post! xthumb.gif

Yes, I agree that the big picture is everything.

But, here's the thing though: One of the things about successful weight loss is consistency. Another is developing good habits. Those of us who have battled weight problems for most of our lives (for me, it's been since my teen years) must be very careful not to get into bad habits...like eating late at night. And, while an occasional late night snack may not be harmful in the overall picture, if it becomes a habit, then it will surely derail weight-loss efforts--thereby affecting the "big picture."

The OP said that she is often hungry right before bed. If she consistently eats late at night, it could become problematc. She may not necessarily gain weight, but it might slow or stagnate her weight-loss. But...she is ONLY 19. It may have no affect on her whatsoever. (This is where that "everyone is different" thing comes into play, no?)
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight I used the 4hrs before bedtime rule. Generally speaking your body needs fuel every 4hrs. If you dont eat then your body will dip in to reserves, aka fat etc. Not eating before sleeping is a pretty easy way to lose weight honestly. If you feel hungry then water can be a good hunger suppressant. As Im not actually trying to lose weight I usually have a protein milkshake shortly before going to bed.
  • squirpz
    squirpz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to live by this rule and would never eat within 3hrs of going to sleep. My theory was that the less I have in my body the less my body could convert to fat. However your body still needs the calories to function while sleeping. The truth according to this article is that you should be eating every 2 - 4 hours regardless of when your bed time is. http://www.intraffik.com/blog/2011/04/24/fitness-101-the-truth-about-eating-before-bed/

I also agree with the others here stating it is dependent on the person and that there is no single rule that fits ever person's needs. Just have to get to know your body and work with it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Personal preference should always be a factor in your nutrient timing. I would never say otherwise.

But this doesn't change thermodynamics.
  • mattysmom32
    mattysmom32 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is so great to know! I always get hungry after workouts, and i save my calories for dinner withmy family, so i workout harder to earn those extra calories!!! feel better knowing this!!!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Personal preference should always be a factor in your nutrient timing. I would never say otherwise.

but your thermodynamics don't take quality of sleep into account. so there are always variables to everything.
  • SideSteel
    Options

but your thermodynamics don't take quality of sleep into account. so there are always variables to everything.

Yes it does. Poor sleep over long periods of time could theoretically increase cortisol which could lower energy expenditure. It's accounted for and energy balance will still dictate change in weight.

Additionally, if eating late screws up your sleep then guess what: it's your preference to not eat late at night which is exactly what I'm trying to say above.

The problem comes in when people cannot separate personal preference from physiology.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to eat then because I am old and sleeping long before then! If I woke up hungry at that time though, regardless of whether I had calories left, I'd eat. Overall count of calories is what is important, not meal timing. Some people have trouble sleeping or have digestive issues like heartburn if they eat too close to sleeping, but you even say this is a few hours before you go to bed.

Even if we did go with the argument that someone shouldn't eat late at night, Your bedtime is around 2 which is about six hours after mine. I usually eat for the last time around 7 which would be your 1. That would have us eating at pretty much the same time for our evenings. Does anyone really think that someone that is usually up that late or working a midnight shift shouldn't eat after x time at night? You think people should ever have to stop eating 6-12 hours before their normal bedtime because that is when you eat your meals?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yes it does. Poor sleep over long periods of time could theoretically increase cortisol which could lower energy expenditure. It's accounted for and energy balance will still dictate change in weight.

Additionally, if eating late screws up your sleep then guess what: it's your preference to not eat late at night which is exactly what I'm trying to say above.

The problem comes in when people cannot separate personal preference from physiology.

if late night eating screws up your sleep, it's no longer a preference, but something you physiologically need to change in order to get the results you're looking for.

i know we're splitting hairs and arguing semantics, but i just think it's an important point to make - that eating a large meal before bed CAN adversely affect weight loss in some people. Not across the board, not for everyone, but it is a thing that happens.
  • SideSteel
    Options

if late night eating screws up your sleep, it's no longer a preference, but something you physiologically need to change in order to get the results you're looking for.

i know we're splitting hairs and arguing semantics, but i just think it's an important point to make - that eating a large meal before bed CAN adversely affect weight loss in some people. Not across the board, not for everyone, but it is a thing that happens.

It is a thing that happens in people who eat in a calorie surplus. It does not happen in people who eat in a calorie deficit, because thermodynamics.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

It is a thing that happens in people who eat in a calorie surplus. It does not happen in people who eat in a calorie deficit, because thermodynamics.

THAT requires a study to back up. Sorry. Don't buy it.

Edit: that only a calorie surplus causes reduced sleep quality
  • notthatthis
    Options
  • SideSteel
    Options

The gain in weight requires an energy surplus. When I say "It" I mean weight gain.

Look, here's what I'm saying:

Eating at night does not cause fat gain if you are in a caloric deficit. This is true and if you don't think it's true I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Here is your counter argument:

But if you eat at night and it messes up your sleep, and you continue to do it long enough, you can raise stress hormones enough that your metabolism slows down enough that you're now over-eating because your metabolism slowed and then you gain weight.

If this is NOT what you're saying, then please clarify what other mechanism could possibly cause weight gain from late night eating.

If this IS what you're saying, then it does nothing to refute my claim that you do not gain weight from eating at night if you're in a calorie deficit.

You are doing a lot of hand waving in my opinion. Everything you're trying to claim about sleep quality can simply be addressed by this "If eating at night messes with your sleep then don't eat at night". That's pretty simple and intuitive.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

The gain in weight requires an energy surplus. When I say "It" I mean weight gain.

Eating at night does not cause fat gain if you are in a caloric deficit. This is true and if you don't think it's true I'm not sure what else to tell you.

But if you eat at night and it messes up your sleep, and you continue to do it long enough, you can raise stress hormones enough that your metabolism slows down enough that you're now over-eating because your metabolism slowed and then you gain weight.

If this is NOT what you're saying, then please clarify what other mechanism could possibly cause weight gain from late night eating.

If this IS what you're saying, then it does nothing to refute my claim that you do not gain weight from eating at night if you're in a calorie deficit.

You are doing a lot of hand waving in my opinion. Everything you're trying to claim about sleep quality can simply be addressed by this "If eating at night messes with your sleep then don't eat at night". That's pretty simple and intuitive.

Sleep quality - habitual poor sleep and you can lower the overall amount of calories your body needs, thus reducing your overall caloric need
    Surplus - anything over your caloric need.

Coach - why do you like arguing so much with the most educated people on this site. I don't believe you really want to learn anything other than what you already believe, but also, there are times you are arguing with others about what you actually believe to be true anyway.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

actually we're misunderstanding each other. i'm not saying it will cause weight gain. i'm saying it will slow weight loss. sorry for that confusion.
  • BeyondTrouble
    BeyondTrouble Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    But seriously though, certain foods do effect your sleep. For me? Those *kitten* are things like pickles! They me nightmares every time I have them as a late night snack.

image_zps12a196f0.jpg

Other than that, I've found that it doesn't matter when I get my calories in - just that I get them in and eat when I'm hungry. None of this no snacking or eating after 7-8-9pm ridiculousness that people suffer through. However to each their own! (But trust me on the pickles).
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Sleep quality - habitual poor sleep and you can lower the overall amount of calories your body needs, thus reducing your overall caloric need
    Surplus - anything over your caloric need.

Coach - why do you like arguing so much with the most educated people on this site. I don't believe you really want to learn anything other than what you already believe, but also, there are times you are arguing with others about what you actually believe to be true anyway.

i don't know who is and who isn't educated, and in this particular argument i made a point of using studies to support my argument.

i actually do love to learn new things - which is why i'm here. for instance, prior to this thread i actually was still in the school of thought that eating before bed regardless of caloric intake for the day could screw you over. SideSteel helped me see that was misguided. However, if you fall into the subset of people who sleep poorly after a large late meal (which isn't everyone!), then that CAN adversely effect your weight loss. Also, "can" does not mean "will". I'm not speaking in absolutes, just in things that are - theoretically - possible.

i honestly don't see what's wrong with having this discussion... sorry.
  • SideSteel
    Options

actually we're misunderstanding each other. i'm not saying it will cause weight gain. i'm saying it will slow weight loss. sorry for that confusion.

Whether it causes weight gain or slows weight loss, the discussion is similar. You are claiming it does so by poor sleep over time, to cause an increase in stress hormones which then reduces energy expenditure. It's still largely hand-waving and can be summed with "if eating late causes you sleep issues, don't eat late".

Just like telling someone who is allergic to peanuts to not eat peanuts.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

You seem to spend a lot of time in multiple threads arguing over stuff that doesn't matter with people who are far more versed than you on those topics. Do you just love to see your own typing? Is there not another way you get to somehow feel important in your life than trying to speak with authority on topics on which you are only slightly versed?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Whether it causes weight gain or slows weight loss, the discussion is similar. You are claiming it does so by poor sleep over time, to cause an increase in stress hormones which then reduces energy expenditure. It's still largely hand-waving and can be summed with "if eating late causes you sleep issues, don't eat late".

Just like telling someone who is allergic to peanuts to not eat peanuts.

ok fair enough. i get that. all i've been trying to say is that in those people who fall under "if eating late causes you sleep issues", one of the side effects can be stagnation in weight loss. so in THOSE PEOPLE, eating late can indirectly cause this stagnation in weight loss. That's the point I've been making since the studies i posted.

but sorry if you feel like that's splitting hairs.