Brussel Spouts, how?

Options
How should i cook my brussel sprouts? I tried baking them once just there was no seasoning or flavour added. Wasn't a fan. I want to give them another chance. Any suggestions as to how I should cook them?

Replies

• sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I usually steam them :)
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    yes steam... the proper way to cook most vegetables.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I usually boil or steam them. Then I used to put margerine (sp) on them. Now I spray a bit of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray and sprinkle a bit of sea salt :)
  • desutton3
    desutton3 Posts: 19
    Options
    My wife steams them then adds lemon juice, pepper and a small amount of butter. I don't like them, but she and my kids do. She just throws a little broccoli in the pan for me when she makes them.

I'm curious - why do you want to eat brussel sprouts in particular? If you don't particularly care for a food, there are many others that will give you the same nutrition. But if you WANT to like them, then more power to you!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Roast them!
    Wash/rinse, cut in half. Take about a tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and put in a ziploc bag with the sprouts. Shake to coat well. Spread sprouts out on a baking sheet or in a pan and roast in oven. You want them to start browning. 400 deg about 30 minutes. You can do them whole as well but I like them cut in half, more crispiness =)
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My grandpa once told me to boil them in salt....I usually put them in a pot and add water to almost cover them and add salt to taste.. I do the same thing whether fresh or frozen. Not real imaginative.....I have thought of sprinkling shredded cheese on them once placed on plate????
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My grandpa once told me to boil them in salt....I usually put them in a pot and add water to almost cover them and add salt to taste.. I do the same thing whether fresh or frozen. Not real imaginative.....I have thought of sprinkling shredded cheese on them once placed on plate????
  • Axelrose08
    Options
    I cut up a couple strips of bacon and saute in a skillet until crisp, then add either frozen or fresh sprouts and about a cup of water and simmer until they are really tender. Sometimes I let the water evaporate out so the sprouts get a little bit browned. Then sprinkle with La Preferida Louisiana Green Peppers (the liquid) or Franks Red Hot. = delish!!
  • rbart
    rbart Posts: 5
    Options
    Brussel sprouts are good blanched then sauteed. After washing, score the bottoms with an X. This allows the interiors to cook without overcooking the outside. Drop in boiling water and cook 2-3 minutes. Typically, I would then scoop from the water, sautee them in olive oil, garlic, and shallots/onions. If you don't want to use the butter/olive oil for the sautee, then season your boiling water with salt, pepper, ginger, and garlic powder (or whatever spices you prefer). Enjoy!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Roast them!
    Wash/rinse, cut in half. Take about a tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and put in a ziploc bag with the sprouts. Shake to coat well. Spread sprouts out on a baking sheet or in a pan and roast in oven. You want them to start browning. 400 deg about 30 minutes. You can do them whole as well but I like them cut in half, more crispiness =)

MY FAVORITE VEGETABLE!! I could seriously eat them with every meal, much to my boyfriends dismay.

I always thought they were disgusting steamed. I think I've typically had them OVERsteamed, so that might be the problem.

In general, I prefer roasting. I think it brings out a lot of the great flavors of vegetables. I typically do something like the above. I usually use just enough oil to barely coat everything. If I am in a hurry, I'll just put them cut side down on a hot skillet until they get a little browned on the cut side. Then I will flip them over for another minute or so. This gives them a nice hint of caramelized flavor and they stay pretty firm.